Home U.S. Coin Forum

Time to go back to Miss Liberty on circulating coinage

I sent this letter to the editor of Numismatic News a few weeks ago and they published it in this week's issue. Pretty cool, lol image View it below...

I for one am sick of seeing all these boring coin series (i.e. Presidential series and many of the current circulating coins) with character-less designs. What ever happened to coins with character? When I think coin, the first coins that come to my mind are Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars, Standing Liberty Quarters, Liberty Head gold Double Eagles, Seated Liberty coins, and several others. These coins of yesterday have truly decent designs that are full of character. Each one of the coins mentioned have Miss Liberty on the obverse and most have eagles on the reverse. Why was Miss Liberty fired from circulating coinage? I can't think of one design with Miss Liberty on it that is not beautiful and full of unique character. I know I am not the only one of the opinion that Miss Liberty needs to come back. So, what say you? Should the mint continue to make boring and dull designs like the Roosevelt dime and the Jefferson nickel? Or is it time to refresh the boring coinage by making new designs featuring Miss Liberty like was originally intended by George Washington and others? I believe this topic needs to be put up as a poll on NN's (or the ANA) website. Back to Miss Liberty I say!!

D***** H*****
Bro*****, WI

Anyone agree with me?
aka Dan

Comments

• If the Mint reads your letter, they'll probably put out a new commemorative S$1 series, "The Faces of Liberty". As if they need any more ideas.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the very least Liberty.... any real art would be acceptable..... Dead guys don't cut it.... The dead heads on the commission need to be replaced.... with some artists.... get rid of the crappy designs... Cheers, RickO
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    i think liberty would look great on our quarter.
  • SciotoScioto Posts: 955
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    Yes, it is time to bring Miss Liberty back onto our coinage. Might I add, in High Relief in well!

No more of this crap that has been posing as our coinage as of late.

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • It's one of the reasons I like the ASE so much. Now if they would just add the reverse I would be even more happy.

• DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    What the ASE need is a new eagle reverse. Not the same one as the old walkers' reverse, but a new one.
    aka Dan
  • LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I would be all for it BUT you know as-well as I that they would want the dies to last as long as possible. That would necessitate a very flat relief (as are the current designs) making it just as boring as the current circulating coinage.
    In other words if the mint were to put out a beautifully designed coin it would have to be in a higher relief (which would be detrimental to the dies life-span).
    I just do not think the mint would make that sacrifice.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Maybe we can hope for the 25th anniversary American Eagles

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the Mint reads your letter, they'll probably put out a new commemorative S$1 series, "The Faces of Liberty". As if they need any more ideas. >>

the problem is 'good' ideas are needed.

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • What IS Liberty? Do we really have Liberty in America? In my opinion, not any more!
  • I think on these boards Liberty wins. I'll bet if the same poll was run in the "outside world" it would be a lot different.
  • I have been buying quite a few liberty halves. Nicest design of all US coins. Bring her back.
    Al @ Palm Beach Coins

Palm Beach Coins Website
  • TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    Liberty back on our coins would be a great thing. Yeah we still have our liberty here in America, anyone who thinks otherwise isnt reading the world news wires.
  • The government is desperately trying to seperate Americans from the concept of liberty, and have been for much of the past 50 years. The last thing "they" need is for a constant reminder of the word floating around on our worthless tokens. You'll see an "In FEMA we trust" motto before you ever see Miss liberty again. Another possibility is "Department of Homeland Security: 1 Unit". Perhaps a more realistic prediction is that within the next 2 decades, our money will be North American Union money, rather than United States currency. At that point, the American eagle and Miss Liberty will be a symbol of everything we did wrong, prior to consolidating into the world's largest regional economic powerhouse. We've already been conditioned to believe that the real threat to homeland security is an 83 year old woman attempting to smuggle 4 ounce bottles of hair conditioner on an airplane, rather than the 15 million illegal immigrants that cross our insecure border with Mexico every year--for the former, we propose stiffer penalties, and for the latter we propose amnesty. You have to wonder what's really being discussed at those Bohemian Grove meetings, and which Einstein devised that pitiful scheme, and how in god's name did our population fall for it so easily...

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the carnival caricature cartoonists they have designing coins now and bring back the SCULPTORS!

--Christian
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Time to go back to Miss Liberty on circulating coinage >>

The Mint feels they have already put Miss Liberty back on circulating coins with the reverse of the Prexy Bux. This return of Miss Liberty has even been mentioned in some Prexy Bux press releases. You'd have to say you want Miss Liberty and the eagle, or no Presidents if you want something different.

Of course, you can make the case that the Prexy Bux don't circulate image
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    As much as I happen to think the original design of the Lincoln Cent was pretty decent before the dies got all mushed out (or was it the master hubs) and the re-engravers gave ol' Abe multiple botched face lifts....

I'd like to see various new Miss Liberty designs that change every so often (like the Marianne designs in France), possibly with reverse commemorative designs not tied to a particular series.

We could have had a Jamestown design on one of the circulating coins for this one year, and a Sputnik design on another one... next year we could have one for the sesquicentennial of the Lincoln-Douglas debates (perfect for the penny, no?), as well as another for the Olympics... in 2012 we could have a Titanic centennial commemorative design and a War of 1812 design... all collectible (if not particularly valuable), all obtainable at face value, and all with the potential of bringing new blood into this hobby.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

<< <i>Get rid of the carnival caricature cartoonists they have designing coins now and bring back the SCULPTORS! >>

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I'd like to see various new Miss Liberty designs that change every so often (like the Marianne designs in France) >>

<< Get rid of the carnival caricature cartoonists they have designing coins now and bring back the SCULPTORS! >>

I think France's Marianne designs look like they're made by carnival caricature cartoonists image

• ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    Why do all you people want to live in the past??

Why don't you all go back to horse and buggys also??

<< <i>I think France's Marianne designs look like they're made by carnival caricature cartoonists image >>

Well... that one certainly does look like a Mardi Gras doubloon!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file