Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    GEE I GOT ONE OF THOSE image
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    I reported the scam to ebay...probably won't do much good. Sent a complaint to SGS and since they are located here in Ohio, complaint sent to Ohio Attorney General's office.

• Options
    basestealerbasestealer Posts: 1,579
    They'll probably get around it by asserting that all silver eagles are minted at West Point, so technically all can be labeled "W", even though the mint only stamps the mintmark on proofs and the special burnished whateveryoucallit uncirculated retail variety. The mint is definately partly to blame here for opening this can of worms to begin with. SGS, the bottom feeders that they are, are merely capitalizing on this wonderful opportunity--and how else are they going to entice bottom feeder scammers to submit coins to them? Certainly nobody else would!
  • Options
    goldman86goldman86 Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    SGS is such a joke it is ridiculous!!!
    The Stealth Ninja
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    The really sad part of this is that after the 2007-W Eagles are released by the mint, this would be viewed as an Error coin and then somebody is gonna get taken for a lot of money!

I am always amazed at the lengths that some scammers will go to separate folks from the money but to have SGS jump into the fray is pure stupidity on their part! Every TPG has a right to grade or misgrade coins but this is simply rediculous!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    This is pretty low. I hope people don't get taken for a lot of money here.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    I sent SGS an inflammatory email and I certainly hope all the see this mockery of grading do the same.

SGS

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Here is the SGS reply to my email:

Hi,
    You are dead wrong. Both 2007 American Silver Eagles UNC and Proof are released.

Someone is snickering you.

I would suggest yo check your source.

Have a nice day.

--------------------------------------------------------
    From The Official RED BOOK A GUIDE BOOK OF UNITED STATES COINS 2007 R.S. YEOMAN EDITED BY KENNETH BRESSETT 61th EDITION

Page 329: “Since 2000, regular-strike silver eagles have been produced at West Point (without mintmarks), and Proofs have been produced at West Point (with mintmarks).

The U.S. Mint does not release bullion mintage data on a regular basis.”

Here is how the above Official Red Book shows Silver Eagles with mintage figures:

$1 2000 (P).........600,000 PF ( P is on coin)

$1 2000 (W).................... UNC 9,239,132

$1 2000P (P is on coin) Proof (600,000)

$1 2001 (W) UNC 9,000,711

$1 2001 W Proof (746, 398)

$1 2002 (W).... UNC 10,539,026

$1 2002 W Proof (647,342)

$1 2003 (W)….. UNC 8,495,008

$1 2003 W Proof (747,831)

$1 2004 (W) UNC 8,882,754

$1 2004 W Proof (801,602)

$1 2005 (W) Proof (701,606)

$1 2005 W UNC 8,891,025

$1 2006 W UNC (not released yet)

$1 2006 W Proof (not released yet)

$1 2006P, Reverse Proof (not released yet)

$1 2007 (W) UNC (not released yet)

$1 2007 W UNC/Proof (not released yet)

This is an outright scam!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone, around here or knowledgeable in coins, considers SGS to be ANYTHING besides a scam, then I will be truly amazed!!!!
    The reply to the email doesn't surprise me. They are a pure scam.

The seller is a scammer as well but it is most likely SGS starting the scam and the seller running with it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But they are selling on eBay so they must be following eBay's coin Code of Conduct policies based on the ANA's Code of Ethics!
  • Options
    This SGS guy is a real piece of work:

Dear Lee,
    You still have your facts wrong as for some reason you seem to just not want to admit you are wrong. I have met
    people like you in court in the past as I have litigated in all U.S. Major courts except the US Supreme court and
    you are dead wrong.

Have a nice life.

SGS

PS: The mint's list in hardly ever correct, that you can count on!

On a personal note, everytime one of these auctions comes up, I'm gonna report them until EBay addresses the issue! My biggest concern here is that when the 2007-W are issued and you cannot really tell the difference between the burnished and bullion versions, will these SGS slabs start showing up as error's? Someones gionna get burned!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very clever & deceptive little buggers... It's like me saying...It's a Philadelphia, whatever, without the P Mint mark...image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I see a nick on the sun...but still MS70image
  • Options
    The coin only brought $30.77 so most people are getting wise to the SGS scam. The sleaze bag seller has 100s of SGS graded coins for sale.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file