Home Metal Detecting

Yesterday's Golf Course Finds

Yesterday my brother (TuscaloosaJohnny) and I detected the old University of Alabama Golf Course which opened sometime in the 1950s and closed down a few years ago. We mainly concentrated around the practice greens near the clubhouse. I think Johnny's total was 88 cents in clad and I found 77 cents, including 3 Wheaties (1951, 57-D, and 58-D) and this 1964 dime.

The front of the dime has some black stains possibly from the golf course fertilizer, but the reverse looks sweet. It has been so hot and dry here lately that digging conditions were terrible. Most of my finds were 2-3 inches and I can't imagine digging deeper than that. We spent about 2 hours all in the practice green area, so there is still a lot more of the course to cover. Maybe next time I'll remember my camera and get some action shots.

Oh, I almost forgot...I found 2 half cents and a half dime. image

I lust for silver.
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, I almost forgot...I found 2 half cents and a half dime. image >>

WTG! You did better than I did yesterday.

I agree about the hot-and-dry thing making the digging terrible. I was at one site yesterday that was so hardpan I couldn't get the shovel into the rocklike dirt! I actually got the tire tool outta the back of my van and used it to bash the dirt into submission a bit before I dug!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SilverDreamsSilverDreams Posts: 427 ✭✭
    I got a nice blister on my thumb from the digging. image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 'nice' blisters?????? image Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is one of those "half cents" a wheatie, too? (The cut one on the right?)

Boy that zincoln on the left is a nasty piece o' work. I find some krusty kritters, but that one is all eat' up, as we say!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SilverDreamsSilverDreams Posts: 427 ✭✭
    Nah, the one on the right is a Memorial. A 1974 I think.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Sweet silver. Sounds like a potential silver mine there. Good luck.
  • cool beans man!....a good place to hunt on old golf courses is on the tee boxes, if they r still there....golfers reachin in their pockets for a tee to tee up the ball with and bingo, coin spills...good luck and swing easy,errrrr, i mean keep the coil to the soil....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Nice work SD!

Keep after it!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage