Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

if im gonna take a chance bidding on something possibly fake..

then i should pay with my CC through paypal..

and if it turns out to be fake, what do i need to do to get my money back, and within what time-frame?..
·p_A·

Comments

• julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    god bless harvest gods.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    wish me luck, i kinda hope i dont win.. my snipes are low if the cards are legit..

0 feedback seller, raw vintage = pandrews must be stoned.
    ·p_A·
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    If you're buying something expensive and possibly fake, pay with credit card with paypal (to get some protection from both). Send it to PSA for evaluation and pay the faster service fee to get a grade/no grade in the 5 business days.

With shipping, looking at it, sending it to PSA and getting an answer you're sure to be in time with ebay and Paypal for the "item not as described" and you can file the complaint. If PSA says it's garbage you can file that day, you won't need to wait to have the actual item.

At least that way you have time with paypal and if they deny you then you still can talk to your credit card.

But why would you ever suspect there could be a fake on ebay?
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Maybe it's not a fake? (Think u have 30 days to file a Paypal dispute & claim?)

• GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>Maybe it's not a fake? (Think u have 30 days to file a Paypal dispute & claim?)

image >>

You're a sick man/women.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe it's not a fake? (Think u have 30 days to file a Paypal dispute & claim?)

image >>

Find a tree trunk up the skirt?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

image >>

i wouldnt hit it..
    ·p_A·
    i can see her flashlight through her skirt!

julen
    RIP GURU
    off the topic of trannies and back to cards, i think someone is getting some deals.. i lost out on my first snipe (and most expensive)..
    ·p_A·
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got a fake 74 Deckle Edge Gibson off of Ebay. The seller hasn't responded. I don't want to send to PSA because I know it's fake. What will happen if I file a claim?

Shane

• mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I wondered what happened to Dee Snider.

<< <i>off the topic of trannies and back to cards, i think someone is getting some deals.. i lost out on my first snipe (and most expensive).. >>

Stop keeping us in suspense and post the links, dammit image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I don't want to send to PSA because I know it's fake. What will happen if I file a claim? "

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sometimes, PayPal will insist that "an expert" declare the
    merch to be fake. If you have a friendly collectible-dealer
    with a letterhead, he/she can furnish a written opinion
    that will usually fly for PP purposes.

Folks have 45-days to file their disputes/claims. (This
    period is allegedly going to be extended, soon.) It is
    always best to file a claim as quickly as possible.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.

<< <i>

<< <i>off the topic of trannies and back to cards, i think someone is getting some deals.. i lost out on my first snipe (and most expensive).. >>

Stop keeping us in suspense and post the links, dammit image >>

ok, auctions are over now.. link
    ·p_A·
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Fake

<< <i>Fake >>

<< <i>

<< <i>Fake >>

image >>

Looks like a reprint or badly done on a home printer.

Edited to add: Sweet, they only allow up to $200 for PayPal buyer protection image
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I saw this late, but if you find yourself in this situation again (ie. stoned and alone in a room with a computer, being tempted by possibly counterfeit items), you might want to call your credit card company first and find out what their policies are. They're not all the same. I initiated a NAD claim with my BOA Visa card, and they basically told me "well, we might rule in your favor, but don't count on it..." Luckily the seller came through (he had previously sent me an empty box).
    i believe the card in the scan is legit.. im not an expert on the issue though.. my only problem is with the 0 feedback seller..
    ·p_A·

tgi (almost) f
    julen
    RIP GURU
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Fake >>

image >>

Looks like a reprint or badly done on a home printer.

Edited to add: Sweet, they only allow up to $200 for PayPal buyer protection image >>

That dam thing is so fake I feel like reaching into the computer screen, grabbing it, and tearing it into a hundred pieces.
  • Alright guys, take me to school....I don't collect this issue, but to my admittedly uneducated eyes, it looks real to me. What are the tip off signs it's a fake?

Thanks in advance!!
    A real one vs the one listed.

Also if you ever have a raw one in your hands, somebody here was kind enough to spend about an hour with me on a saturday morning showing me the difference. If I remember correctly you can hold a real one to the light, and almost see through it, where you can't with a reprint. Also the name on my card was a solid print under high magnification, on a reprint there is a consistent print dot pattern including the name.

Whoever it was convinced me that this card was a real one, not a reprint, and psa agreed.

sorry guys, but i still have to disagree with all of you who say it's fake..

i dont think the toning on back has anything to do with it, and im more convince now than ever that the seller is legit, and just didnt know what he had..

like i said, i won 1 item, and now that i've paid the guy, seen his email address and website, he has no reason to rip anyone off..

also, why would all his cards be stamped with #18 on the front? im guessing they were some kind of vending cards..

the cards he had up on auction are real, and somebody got some deals.. somebody got an authentic Ruth for under $250.. image
    ·p_A·
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

You're a sick man/women. >>

Isn't that the lead singer for Twisted Sister??
    Since you purchased one, I hope they are legit image

Keep us posted and good luck! image
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say you should count your lucky stars you missed out on that "bargain" Ruth.
    Honestly pandrews, I think he took a Goudey Sport Kings reprint set and roughed it up (including the 18 stamp), then listed it in an obscure category hoping to get people to think he's just some schmoe who doesn't know what he has. The wear doesn't seem consistent with cards from that era, and they're too bright to be 70 years old. I could be wrong though.

Lee
    The brightness is a large off-putting factor. Even spanking-brand-new, the stock was of a pleasant off-white/cream. Which may appear "white" but not when sat next to something of a more modern, bleached-whiteness.

<< <i>Honestly pandrews, I think he took a Goudey Sport Kings reprint set and roughed it up (including the 18 stamp), then listed it in an obscure category hoping to get people to think he's just some schmoe who doesn't know what he has. The wear doesn't seem consistent with cards from that era, and they're too bright to be 70 years old. I could be wrong though.

Lee >>

Lee - You are not wrong. you got it exactly right.

I've been canvasing ebay for baseball cards for a number of years and of course many others here have also. Bottom line - There are no "bargains" on ebay with pre-WW2 cards. That pre-WW2 "crowd" scours ebay like white on rice, the listing was spelled correctly, and there's no way this card with 269 hits got past them. Anything with "Ty Cobb" or "Babe Ruth" in the header gets looked at with a fine tooth comb by them.

I didn't look at the other auctions but this one is a reprint, and it's not even close. Look at the buyer - mainly dealing with modern stuff but he just got snookered on this one. He probably knows it was a gamble and it'll come up snake eyes if he sends that card to PSA.

<< <i>Lee - You are not wrong. you got it exactly right.

I've been canvasing ebay for baseball cards for a number of years and of course many others here have also. Bottom line - There are no "bargains" on ebay with pre-WW2 cards. That pre-WW2 "crowd" scours ebay like white on rice, the listing was spelled correctly, and there's no way this card with 269 hits got past them. Anything with "Ty Cobb" or "Babe Ruth" in the header gets looked at with a fine tooth comb by them.

I didn't look at the other auctions but this one is a reprint, and it's not even close. Look at the buyer - mainly dealing with modern stuff but he just got snookered on this one. He probably knows it was a gamble and it'll come up snake eyes if he sends that card to PSA. >>

ok, well, i am also one of the many others here that have been buying and selling on ebay for a number of years, and i dont know how any of you can be so certain that the cards are fake..

sure, they could be.. i only spent a little over $30, so im not terribly worried about it, but their absolutely ARE still bargains to be found on ebay (raw, vintage, pre-war).. i already know of a very knowledgeable collector who passed by the auction i won without even looking at it, much less going over it with a fine tooth comb, simply because he saw the 0 feedback seller and immediately hit the back button..

yeah the card had 269 hits, and some long-time ebayers with thousands of feedbacks were in the mix on several of the cards, even winning a few.. (im one of the ebayers with thousands of feedbacks, just not the account i use to buy with anymore)..

personally, i couldnt care less now that the auctions are over.. yeah i wish i wouldve bought the Ruth though..

the seller has a non-sportscard related website, and it appears he does fairly well for himself without having to scam people out of less than $1000 total for a handful of Sport Kings cards, most of which were common.. he doesnt even know what year the cards are from..
    ·p_A·
    In your moments spent bemoaning your "loss" on the Ruth, consider how incorrect the green ink shade used on the back is.

<< <i>

<< <i>Lee - You are not wrong. you got it exactly right.

I didn't look at the other auctions but this one is a reprint, and it's not even close. Look at the buyer - mainly dealing with modern stuff but he just got snookered on this one. He probably knows it was a gamble and it'll come up snake eyes if he sends that card to PSA. >>

ok, well, i am also one of the many others here that have been buying and selling on ebay for a number of years, and i dont know how any of you can be so certain that the cards are fake..

sure, they could be.. i only spent a little over $30, so im not terribly worried about it, but their absolutely ARE still bargains to be found on ebay (raw, vintage, pre-war).. i already know of a very knowledgeable collector who passed by the auction i won without even looking at it, much less going over it with a fine tooth comb, simply because he saw the 0 feedback seller and immediately hit the back button..

yeah the card had 269 hits, and some long-time ebayers with thousands of feedbacks were in the mix on several of the cards, even winning a few.. (im one of the ebayers with thousands of feedbacks, just not the account i use to buy with anymore)..

personally, i couldnt care less now that the auctions are over.. yeah i wish i wouldve bought the Ruth though..

the seller has a non-sportscard related website, and it appears he does fairly well for himself without having to scam people out of less than $1000 total for a handful of Sport Kings cards, most of which were common.. he doesnt even know what year the cards are from.. >>

Actually the card you bought looks genuine. An old scammer trick - mixing in lower priced cards in assorted auction lots with the key card/s being fake to give the appearance that all the cards are genuine. Perhaps also he thought the Ruth would fetch far more than it did.

Possible also that this seller honestly believes all the cards are genuine, or at least wants to believe it. But I never put a dollar value on scammers - I'm amazed sometimes at how much effort I've seen some ebay scammers put into something for what seems to me to be very little money for the effort.

And then again perhaps you've analyzed this correctly, but there's too many red flags for my taste. The buyer of that card may have intentions of getting it graded and reselling it - be interesting to see if it appears on any of his future auctions. I'd say if it appears raw, then it's certainly a fake...if it appears graded then you were correct.
    Perry could be right. It's not completely unheard of to catch legit vintage stuff from a new seller. I bought a 1960 Topps wax pack a while back for around $60 after the seller said I could send it back for a refund if it was resealed. I got the pack and it was legit. The seller was new and listed it in a wierd category so it didn't get that many views.

I'm curious to see what PSA has to say about the Ruth.

Lee
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    but their absolutely ARE still bargains to be found on ebay (raw, vintage, pre-war)..

PA---a box of 1964 Stand Ups come to mind. A lot of people, me included, thought that might be a scam too, but someone got a bargain in the end ( I have no opinion on these card since I do not collect them)
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    That was a little different, as no one doubted they were real '64 product. The question was - were they searched or not, and the seller (foolishly) gave what seemed to be evasive answers, to the detriment of his own finalized sale price.

<< <i>Perry could be right. It's not completely unheard of to catch legit vintage stuff from a new seller. I bought a 1960 Topps wax pack a while back for around $60 after the seller said I could send it back for a refund if it was resealed. I got the pack and it was legit. The seller was new and listed it in a wierd category so it didn't get that many views.

I'm curious to see what PSA has to say about the Ruth.

Lee >>

I agree with Post-WW2 baseball cards. I have gotten some wonderful steals on ebay on that, including 60's Topps. I just never see steals on Pre-WW2 - Never.
    i talked to the winners of both the Ruth card and Red Grange card.. they both plan to submit to PSA, and the Babe Ruth card will be overnighted to PSA..

also, the following is not my words, but the winner of the Ruth asked me to post this here for him:

> From memorabiliaandcards: I'm the guy that won the Ruth in question, I
    already own 3 in much higher grades, after much deliberation and additional photos from the seller i purchased it, it will be going o/n to psa for authentication when i get it. As far as you guys saying theres no pre ww2 bargains left on ebay... you are very wrong, i still get several and rare unique vintage bargains a year on ebay. I'm talking some amazing items i've never seen, and i've been full-time dealer since 1983. Where were you guys yesterday when the 33 goudey gehrig csa 7 went off, i stole this card way under the money, its going to psa or sgc the day i receive it for a regrade, looks a strong 6 to me. I will easily double my money on this and if it grades a 7 it makes my collection..
    ·p_A·
    Goood good luck to him. I saw a CSA T206 Speaker once. A real beauty... 'cept for the trimmin.

<< <i>i talked to the winners of both the Ruth card and Red Grange card.. they both plan to submit to PSA, and the Babe Ruth card will be overnighted to PSA..

also, the following is not my words, but the winner of the Ruth asked me to post this here for him:

> From memorabiliaandcards: I'm the guy that won the Ruth in question, I
    already own 3 in much higher grades, after much deliberation and additional photos from the seller i purchased it, it will be going o/n to psa for authentication when i get it. As far as you guys saying theres no pre ww2 bargains left on ebay... you are very wrong, i still get several and rare unique vintage bargains a year on ebay. I'm talking some amazing items i've never seen, and i've been full-time dealer since 1983. Where were you guys yesterday when the 33 goudey gehrig csa 7 went off, i stole this card way under the money, its going to psa or sgc the day i receive it for a regrade, looks a strong 6 to me. I will easily double my money on this and if it grades a 7 it makes my collection.. >>

Well that's good, at least maybe we'll know the outcome. I wish him good luck - I honestly hope I'm wrong. I would never root against a fellow card collector. image
    Kind of dumb to tell people how to find good bargains. More power to him though.

Lee
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top of the card looks a little wavy over Lou's name in my opiniion.

<< <i>Kind of dumb to tell people how to find good bargains. More power to him though.

Lee >>

I'm not gonna argue with the guy - heck, he didn't even post here - LOL. But I have to wonder how many reprint losers he's purchased, and totally lost money on, against his "occasional" winner. But in any event, I hope he's successful on this Ruth card.

<< <i>Top of the card looks a little wavy over Lou's name in my opiniion.

image >>

I have to question his judgment, but again wishing him good luck.

<< <i>I'm not gonna argue with the guy - heck, he didn't even post here >>

it takes a few days sometimes for carolj to activate accounts i think..

·p_A·

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not gonna argue with the guy - heck, he didn't even post here >>

it takes a few days sometimes for carolj to activate accounts i think.. >>

Well if he strikes gold, then good for him and he'll have bragging rights. We'll see if he's got the stones to come on here if he bought reprints or trimmed cards.
    I'm not knocking the guy at all. I just don't think it's smart to tell alert people to your cash cow, thereby creating more competition for yourself.

Lee

<< <i>I'm not knocking the guy at all. I just don't think it's smart to tell alert people to your cash cow, thereby creating more competition for yourself.

Lee >>

he didnt really though, all he did was point out a CSA card he bought and said he still finds bargains in pre-war cards..
    ·p_A·
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I probably wouldn't even bid.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)