Home Metal Detecting
Options

Thought I had found my first dollar coin...and some bling...

kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
Only got out for a couple of hours on Saturday and went to a different beach/picnic area. Hadn't found much (about $1 or so in modern stuff- oldest US being a clad 1965 quarter) and was heading out when I noticed a fresh dirt patch with tractor tire marks on a hillside- looked like a tree was recently cut down and stump ground down. Made a couple of quick passes and picked up a nickel and a canadian penny, then just as I was going to leave a dark round object at the very edge caught my eye- passed the detector over it and sure enough it was metal! Still wasn't sure it was a coin or not ( I was thinking large washer) but this is what I found (for a second when I realized it was a coin I thinking silver dollar):

imageimage

Some kind of token, there is an indian reservation nearby and construction was done nearby on the St.Lawrence Seaway in the 1950's/60's era. Its large dollar size 38mm and weighs 22 grams, appears to be copper and looks to have been in ground for at least a little while. I can say its the largest coin/token size wise anyways that I have found image . What surprised me is that it lay there nearly uncovered on the surface near a well traveled walk way to the beach and wasn't spotted- of course the water temp is only in the low 50's and not many are using the beach yet!

Also found some bling on beach itself- a large pair of ear rings with I am assuming to be fake diamonds all around the edge- no markings of any kind on them:

Comments

• Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    nice finds!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool token.

My guess would be 1950s to early 1970s, based on the style and lettering.

I don't know whether I'd associate it with the nearby reservation or not.

Look, it even has the metal detectorist's "HH" abbreviation on there! image

Though relatively "modern", it is definitely a "keeper". WTG!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice finds... may not be a dollar coin, but every bit as interesting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    That's cool!

<< <i>Look, it even has the metal detectorist's "HH" abbreviation on there! >>

Good eye Rob. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have dug that than a Sac or a Susie, actually.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd rather have dug that than a Sac or a Susie, actually. >>

Absolutely!

Nice work Kevin!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage