Home U.S. Coin Forum

What happened?

Untoned, white example usually sell for $430-$460, what happened here? This was my auction

link

Comments

• SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey Posts: 3,311
    gonna guess holiday weekend... everyones image
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I don't know who Bidder #4 is, but I'll bet he/she's pi$$ed because they lost by a mere $0.21!
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Slow holiday weekend. Maybe???
  • holiday weekend for sure. I've got some stuff with zero watchers. usually 10 first half day. thanks goodness mine don't end until next sunday. good have been worse.
    -s
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoeone got a rip? Too bad it warn't me.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned a long time ago to never schedule auctions to end just before, just after or during a holiday or big event. My lesson was during the Super Bowl. image
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holiday weekend and the ANACS holder I'd guess. It wasn't too far under what others have gone for though.

Looking at completed 1878-CC in MS64, I only found a few (non-gsa)

PCGS had two that didn't get a bid priced at $439 & $450
    NGC Had several sold at: $446, $447, $448, $440
    ANACS had two - white at $375, and yours at $400
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>holiday weekend for sure. I've got some stuff with zero watchers. usually 10 first half day. thanks goodness mine don't end until next sunday. good have been worse. >>

Not likely...I've got sevaral auctions going like gang busters. Not especially the best looking "toned", if you like toned coins, I've seen. Probably would get MS63 if graded by either PCGS or NGC. Just my 2 cents worth.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a lot of bar-b-queueing going on tonight. Buyers might want to be out shopping.
  • AU58WALKERSAU58WALKERS Posts: 3,562
    The sky is falling?
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Sadly, it's probably the holder image
    I have respect for them but with all that has been going on with them, I wouldn't bid as high as if it were in a pcgs holder.
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    ANACS happens. If a seller wants full value for the grade, sometimes crossing it, is the way to go. Price realized looks about right for nicely toned MS63 example. For a lot of buyers ANACS 64 = 63 at other services.

I checked Teletrade and found these:

Here's a PCGS 64 in an old holder that went for about the same as your coin.

PCGS 64 for $425

To support my theory about ANACS, here is an ANACS 64 that went much lower

ANACS 64 for $340

The only decently toned coin that went off recently is an NGC 64 that went for $550. It is not as pretty as yours, but NGC is a notch above ANACS in the grading hierachy.
    NGC 64 toned for $550
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous reverse... but the coin is in an ANACS holder and the cheek looks like a 63 or 62.
    When in doubt, don't.

• << <i>ANACS holder and the cheek looks like a shot-63. >>

That dont matter..............DONT SELL ANYTHING EXCEPT YOUR WIFE ON A HOLIDAY
  • ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    It may be just me but I don't like the obverse. Reverse is beautiful though. Just my 2c worth.
    I've got '99-'06 all 8 silver proof sets ending tomorrow night. With 34+ watchers and it's only $338 right now. Last week I have another same sets that was $500 2-3 days before the end. Hope it goes higher?
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, part of your mistake was not telling me about the auction when I asked, in my earlier thread this week.

I posted a thread asking who was selling stuff this weekend so I could go score, but no one did image

Oh yeah...you also had it in anacs (new).....those are something that many of us discount or avoid.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of it is likely the ANACS holder, part of it is likely the holiday weekend, but part of it may also be due to the fact that the obverse looked like it could have negative eye appeal.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    The reverse is very attractive, NT .The obverse not as nice.....Still with that reverse it may have made PCGS-64.....I have alot of coins ending tomorrow {20 cent deal} don"t care about them much but have Teletrade coins on for tomorrow I do care.......I am hoping the collector "bug" never takes a day off or a holidayimage
  • ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    GEN, I added you to my sellers list.
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say you were lucky to get the $400. If you took that around the bourse at a coin show most would offer something above MS63 money, but not MS64 money. As others have already said it: ANACS coins don't have the same market acceptance on the slabbed grade. This should come as no surprise to everyone. I've seen it from everything to circ better date Barbers to gem gold type coins.

If you do buy other than PCGS or NGC coins, you need to have strong faith in your raw grading skills.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file