Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Coin Doctors?

I hate to admit it, but the thought occurred to me that with the Low-Ball registry sets, a new type of coin doctor may surface.
Would a 'doctor' that created PO or AG coins from G/VG coins be looked upon the same as those that clean/tone coins?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Is'nt delibrate destruction on US coinage illegal?
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most low end coins would not generate enough $$$ to signify the trouble to make them, unless they were to make a coin such as the 1793 chain cent which commands a few thousand in a PO01 condition. I'm sure there are others...

Good thought Ajia!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    But at $14 or $18 per slab, PCGS is looking out for it's share holdersimage

Talk about a money maker, the crackout game to get down grades!image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who needs to crackout? Baley suggested tossing them into a cement mixer and blending them. Worst case is the coin comes out looking bad......solution? Toss it right back in again. The lower the grade the better it is. A process with zero downside as long as you can slab the coin in the end.

What would PQ mean for a PO1 coin? Zero detail present except a partial date and maybe a part of a shield to Id the coin? Wouldn't this make force doctors to selectively remove all details except what it takes to Id it? We could literally have PO1 * PQ with more details gone.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    Funny thought, but I do not see it happenning. The downgrade value loss and the cost to slab, would not be enough compensation for the few buyers paying a premium for PO-01 for their lowball registry. I truly think the lowball registries will become as intended by PCGS. Just a lot of fun, yet challenging. There are not a lot of PO-01 coins in slabs.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's definitely money there to be made. I saw ANR put in a low grade slab 20c piece or something in one of their retail ads. Asking price was several hundred dollars (similar to what an XF+ would bring). The hook was that the low grade slabs are rare.

There's a ready market their until the supply gets out of hand.
    Does this remind anyone of tulips??

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I feel that this can be a fun registry to do but could be even more fun if PCGS would fix the pop report to show the PO01, FR02 and AG03 coins. Currently you can not see the pop unless you already have this coin.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    The downgrade value loss and the cost to slab, would not be enough compensation for the few buyers paying a premium for PO-01 for their lowball registry.

I disagree.
    How many will try to 'make' a PO1 or AG02 coin from a G or VG coin.
    No premium on G/VG coins, but even without the low-ball registry there was a premium for PO1, AG02 coins.
    Now what kind of pressure will there be to pick one of these up?

I truly think the lowball registries will become as intended by PCGS. Just a lot of fun, yet challenging.

Aren't all the registry sets supposed to be "Just a lot of fun"?
    Somehow it all becomes a competition, which is fine too, I'm just saying......

I guess the trick is to get them slabbed & not BB
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The downgrade value loss and the cost to slab, would not be enough compensation for the few buyers paying a premium for PO-01 for their lowball registry. I disagree. How many will try to 'make' a PO1 or AG02 coin from a G or VG coin. No premium on G/VG coins, but even without the low-ball registry there was a premium for PO1, AG02 coins. Now what kind of pressure will there be to pick one of these up? I truly think the lowball registries will become as intended by PCGS. Just a lot of fun, yet challenging. Aren't all the registry sets supposed to be "Just a lot of fun"? Somehow it all becomes a competition, which is fine too, I'm just saying...... I guess the trick is to get them slabbed & not BB >>

And therein lies the rub (so to speak).

Rock tumblers really don't cut it.
    Otherwise I'd suspect someone would have taken me up on this challenge.

peacockcoins