Home Metal Detecting
Options

Big silver in deep East Texas

The next stop on the Norris clan's spring vacation is Henderson, Texas. While here we visited my wife's kin folks and long time friends. Henderson is nestled in the Piney Woods of deep East Texas about an hour from Shreveport, Louisiana and twenty minutes from Kilgore. At one time, because of the Texas oil boom, Kilgore had the most expensive real estate in the nation. It's also home to the world famous Rangerettes The people here are friendly, and the barbeque is yummy!

During the time when it hasn't been raining, and it has done so quite a bit, I've got out with the MXT on the mom's property. Even though she is the wife's mother, everyone in the circle call her mom. According to mom, the house was built around the 1930s, but she admits it could very well be older than that.

I didn't know the Commander-in-Chief took my picture. This is one of the times when I didn't feel like a drowned rat.

Up until today I thought I was going to get skunked with only finding some pull tabs and a few clad coins. But luck was with me and I pulled six wheaties and a 1917 Walker. No mint on the half.

The pennies were found at various spots in the front yard at depths of 4-6 inches. The half was almost at the foundation of the house and iffy at best to hear in the phones. The sound was just a whisper and the MXT's ID only gave me a third of a bar. When I pinpointed, the depth indication was 9 inches. Frequently I have been finding iron targets at 4-8 inches the machine has VDI'd in the 80s. I figured it was another washer at 4 inches or so, but I dug anyway. Woohooo! Sorry I don't have the action shot. I was dancin'. image If it wasn't at nine inches, it was close to that. Also, I found this gold plated ring. It's costume jewelry with a synthetic diamond. Lastly, I found part of a silver necklace clasp. Hopefully the weather will be with me cause I'm going back for one last go at it.

Thanks for looking.

G Man

Next stop is Durango, CO. I want to ride the choo-choo.
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    WTG G-man! image

how many Walkers have you found over the years? ... and these still get a dance out of you! image

Congrats on the big silver! image
  • Options
    SilverDreamsSilverDreams Posts: 427 ✭✭
    Congrats! That Walker is in nice shape, especially for a 1917.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Mr. G, Keep up the GOOD TRIP.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Persistance pays off! The Walker is an excellant find; it certainly makes a case for digging even the faintest of sounds. Have fun in Colorado!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Nice find with that half, congrats!
  • Options
    Sweet lady...Earlier year too. Congrats.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats.. nice finds... especially the Walker.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The weather was good today, image so I got another chance to hit my mother-in-law's property. First coin found was a 1946 Roosie (no mint). I also found four more wheaties. One is a 1929, a 41-D, 44-D, and a 53-S.

I also found a screw top to what I think is a BSA canteen. It rang in the copper range. Having not been a scout I can't positively identify that's what it is, nor the possible age of it. If anyone knows for sure what it is, please chime in.

Thanks again for looking.

We're hitting the road tomorrow morning for Colorado.

See Ya!

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG!

A Walker is an awesome enough find, but getting a nice early one is double-cool!

That is certainly an old Cub Scout item, but what it is, I can't tell you. The canteen lid theory sounds good to me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    awesome Walker!
  • Options
    That is a very nice find there Bentfork hope you make some more good find's on your trip.
    HH,Tom
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Walker, very nice!!!!
    Great story and pictures!

Whisper signals can be good... usually worth digging... image

Looking forward to seeing more finds from your trip!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    WTG G Man!!
    Can't wait to see what the rest of your trip brings.
  • Options
    Nice Walker Gary!

Can't wait for the next installment!

Have a safe trip!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage