Home U.S. Coin Forum

How long until just the Silver reverse proof is worth $500?

2»

Comments

• << <i> I seriously doubt that your average collector will pay $1000 for a single coin or a set >>

Yet your average collector is willing to pay $5000 for a 1995-W.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

• << <i>When will they be "worth" $500?

When silver is $500/ oz.
    >>

The monetary worth of a coin is what someone is will to pay for it, not the worth of the base metal. Just as a Cherry clawfoot table is worth more than a stack of cordwood if you can get someone to pay more for it.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I seriously doubt that your average collector will pay $1000 for a single coin or a set >>

Yet your average collector is willing to pay $5000 for a 1995-W. >>

I'm an average collector, and I wouldn't buy a 1995-W for $5,000. There are at least 300 coins I'd love to have before even thinking of that. Yes, I do buy modern and classic coins, and yes I occasionally spend $1000+ on individual coins.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Yet your average collector is willing to pay $5000 for a 1995-W.

If you think $5000 is what average collectors do on one coin, you from a much better neighborhood than me.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yet your average collector is willing to pay $5000 for a 1995-W. >>

I seriously doubt that average collectors are the ones buyin these. I know lots of coworkers whao want ASE's and none of them will pay that kind of $$ for a 95-W. My local dealer doen't even understand why anyone would slab or even buy slabbed ASE's.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The PCGS reverse proofs will hit $500.00 in about 3 months, while the NGC counterpart will level out at about $275.00. >>

I just looked on Ebay for the last 5 single reverse proof coins that have sold both in NGC69 and PCGS69 plastic,

The average for NGC coins is $399

The average for PCGS coins is $401

These all sold over the past 2 weeks.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The PCGS reverse proofs will hit $500.00 in about 3 months, while the NGC counterpart will level out at about $275.00. >>

I just looked on Ebay for the last 5 single reverse proof coins that have sold both in NGC69 and PCGS69 plastic,

The average for NGC coins is $399

The average for PCGS coins is $401

These all sold over the past 2 weeks. >>

I think there was some TIC from those comments about the NGC values, but there was lots of suger in my wild rasberry!image
    I hope the reverse proofs hit $3,000 as I still have a few left. I doubt there will be a brisk business at that level.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I love the Kool-Aid guy, but in this case, it's about the coin, not the holder.

HE>I

• kwmorgankwmorgan Posts: 967

<< <i>

<< <i>The supply is adequate; its just that it is not very equitably held at the moment. When 250,00 sets are owned by 230,000 people instead of 20,000 people the price will not hold, book it. >>

The supply of 250,000 coins is woefully inadequate for the millions of ASE collectors out there. Just like the '95-W, prices will continue to rise, book it. >>

Yup, to have a true complete set, those millions of collectors have to eventually "pony up" and get one. This RP ASE is now the 2nd most valuable in the series and I expect it will be for years to come. It will be interesting to see what the mint does fo the 25th anniv in 2011. 25th anniversary is the "silver" anniversary.

• << <i>It will be interesting to see what the mint does fo the 25th anniv in 2011. 25th anniversary is the "silver" anniversary. >>

Maybe they'll do a reverse-reverse proof, where the whole thing is done in a proof finish and will look like a shiny hubcap.

• << <i>Maybe they'll do a reverse-reverse proof, where the whole thing is done in a proof finish and will look like a shiny hubcap. >>

I like it ... then NGC and PCGS can come out with a new slab that rotates, and call them spinners... yeah baby!
  • ddinkddink Posts: 2,748

<< <i>I seriously doubt that average collectors are the ones buyin these. >>

I don't see how it matters whether the buyers are "average" collectors or "above average" collectors. If people will spend 5k on a 1995 Silver Eagle with a tiny W on the reverse, I think we'll see them shell out big bucks to buy a truly different coin (the RP).

If someone offered me a 95-W and a 2006 RP, without any mention of the value or mintage of either, I'd take the RP hands-down. I think most people would--due to the incredibly impressive RP finish.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When will they be "worth" $500?

When silver is $500/ oz.
    >>

The monetary worth of a coin is what someone is will to pay for it, not the worth of the base metal. Just as a Cherry clawfoot table is worth more than a stack of cordwood if you can get someone to pay more for it. >>

My argument was semantical - kind of like what the meaning of "is" is.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    2 months time.
  • Just don't buy on credit. Free money floating around--buy and speculate to your heart's content. For people new to numismatics or any industry for that matter--gambling with money you don't have is the worst idea. As a Vegas junkie, I've seen more than my fair share of people whose money is always "tied up in this or that", they sweat buckets on a daily basis--it's always one scheme stringed to another scheme that keeps them afloat. Eventually the bottom falls out of whatever it is they're doing and they go bust. Taking out a second mortgage on a house and racking up all the credit cards to make a big move on the latest coin flip is the surest way to disaster outside of standing in the path of a hurricane Katrina. The one question you should be able to answer "yes" to is, if everything physical possession you owned burned up in a fire tomorrow, would you still be solvent? If the answer is no, you are holding on to things you cannot afford to own.

I originally got into silver eagles because of their beauty and affordability. I liked the ease with which I could put together a top grade raw set, stick it into a Dansco, look at it whenever I wanted, and not worry about the value because they were bargains to begin with. I enjoyed piecing together sets for other people, introducing them to both silver and coinage at the same time. But now with $500 pieces floating around, required to make the set complete, it's taken on a whole new meaning. I don't want to compete with hoarders or flippers to get ahold of a reverse proof or a 20th anniversary bullion coin that melts for $13. For a couple hundred more I can work on the Saint series--with the understanding of course that within a few years the ridiculous prices for these *might* settle back down to reasonable levels and at that point I can refocus on them again. Unless I am guess right each year with which mint products will be winners, or unless I buy one of everything, I'll have to play the game of buy what people don't want and wait to buy what people do want when they no longer want it.

• << <i>Just don't buy on credit. Free money floating around--buy and speculate to your heart's content. For people new to numismatics or any industry for that matter--gambling with money you don't have is the worst idea. As a Vegas junkie, I've seen more than my fair share of people whose money is always "tied up in this or that", they sweat buckets on a daily basis--it's always one scheme stringed to another scheme that keeps them afloat. Eventually the bottom falls out of whatever it is they're doing and they go bust. Taking out a second mortgage on a house and racking up all the credit cards to make a big move on the latest coin flip is the surest way to disaster outside of standing in the path of a hurricane Katrina. The one question you should be able to answer "yes" to is, if everything physical possession you owned burned up in a fire tomorrow, would you still be solvent? If the answer is no, you are holding on to things you cannot afford to own. >>

WELL SPOKEN!

imageimageimage
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Zachary Scott <>
    Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is? ~Frank Scully

<< <i>I don't see how it matters whether the buyers are "average" collectors or "above average" collectors. If people will spend 5k on a 1995 Silver Eagle with a tiny W on the reverse, I think we'll see them shell out big bucks to buy a truly different coin (the RP). >>

It does matter because most of the people who would like to have one can't afford one. How many of the 30,000 95-W's do you think sold above $4,000? A couple hundred if that? Some here act like like every single one of them did. Sure some will pay $everal K, but if you think that 100K people are gonna pony up $several K apiece good luck. The smart folks already have theirs.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • the uncirculated W's are making a bit of ground... above the $110 level now and the price gain is pretty steady if not accelerating a bit. If the 1993-1995 proof silver eagles can be selling for the prices they do after all this time, then you can bet that this 2006-w silver eagle, with a much higher demand, will surpass those prices, even if it's mintage is slightly higher.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts are ~$150 for the 2006-W unc, in the near term. Reaching $200+ in the next year or so and maintaining. The higher value is assuming Dansco and the others get off their butts and put it into newer albums.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I haven't been following this thread at all but just read the last two posts and your estimates seem to be low. I sold a bunch of the 06-W MS69s in the $130s. Raised my price to $150 and sold the full auction quantity in 3 days. I have just a few left and I'm not sure whether to list them at $175 or $200. --Jerry
  • ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    I've seen slabbed MS69's going for close to $200 and RP69s going for $400+. 1st strike RP69s are $500 now and 1st strike MS69s are $400. Haven't checked the PF69s.
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • The reverse proof is a $250 coin. I just checked the price guide. image
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The reverse proof is a $250 coin. I just checked the price guide. image >>

Your "price guide" is outdated....Rev. Proof PCGS 69...$350-$400 ..... 1st strike rev. proof...$500+

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The reverse proof is a $250 coin. I just checked the price guide. image >>

Your "price guide" is outdated....Rev. Proof PCGS 69...$350-$400 ..... 1st strike rev. proof...$500+ >>

That's what I've seen. image
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I'll take all I can buy at $250. Any sellers?
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't been following this thread at all but just read the last two posts and your estimates seem to be low. I sold a bunch of the 06-W MS69s in the $130s. Raised my price to $150 and sold the full<a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;ih=004&amp;sspagename=STRK:MESO:IT&amp;viewitem=&amp;item=140121104050&amp;rd=1&amp;rd=1" target=blank> auction</A> quantity in 3 days. I have just a few left and I'm not sure whether to list them at $175 or $200. --Jerry >>

I'm talking raw.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>Yup, to have a true complete set, those millions of collectors have to eventually "pony up" and get one. >>

What evidence can anyone provide to support a claim of a collector base of "millions" for the ASEs?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yup, to have a true complete set, those millions of collectors have to eventually "pony up" and get one. >>

What evidence can anyone provide to support a claim of a collector base of "millins" for the ASEs? >>

None but I bet there are at least 250 thousand of them.

I really see these going to at least $750 each.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file