Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I bought a strawberry...

Couldn't resist the color on this one... NGC MS65.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Strawberry Nuthin, Man, That's a Cherry............image Sweet.....................................................
    " I just checked in , Just to see what condition, My condition was in." Kenny Rogers and the 1st. Edition......
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    And I negotiated another one to go with it. This one has been in their inventory for a while. NGC MS64. Interestingly enough, the highest grade certified by NGC or PGCS is 65. I would have thought there would be some 66s or better for this date...

imageimage
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins coinpictures.

I'm trying to complete a set of Edward VII Shillings in MS grades (in between collecting errors, 1/3 farthings in MS grades etc...), I know some will be hard ie. 1905.
    So far I'v got 3:

1902 NGC MS63
    1902 NGC PF63
    &
    1907 NGC MS62.

The hunt is still on (part time anyway)image
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    At least it wasn't a lemon. image

Nice coin! I love the toning.
  • Options

<< <i>(in between collecting errors, 1/3 farthings in MS grades etc...) >>

Just the Edwardian 1/3 farthing, or all 1/3 farthings in general? If the latter, why just 1/3 farthings as opposed to other fractionals?

[I have a thing for fractional farthings...]

My slabbed fractionals (I have some more mid-grade raw ones lying around, but I haven't bothered to include them):

1/4 Farthing 1839 PCGS MS64 RB
    1/4 Farthing 1852 NGC MS63 BN
    1/4 Farthing 1853 NGC MS62 BN

1/3 Farthing 1827 NGC MS63 BN
    1/3 Farthing 1835 PCGS MS64 RB
    1/3 Farthing 1844 NGC MS63 BN (5% curved clip; error denoted on slab)
    1/3 Farthing 1881 ANACS MS64 RED
    1/3 Farthing 1885 PCGS MS64 RD

1/2 Farthing 1844 NGC MS64 BN
    1/2 Farthing 1847 NGC MS64 BN
    1/2 Farthing 1854 NGC MS66 BN

• Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    how much silver is in that there strawberry?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, the title of this thread had my brain goin' Liteside, with a Strawberry Leaf cent!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Man, the title of this thread had my brain goin' Liteside, with a Strawberry Leaf cent! >>

*chuckle*

Like there's any way in heck I'd ever be able to afford one... image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but at least my mind has good taste.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    "Just the Edwardian 1/3 farthing, or all 1/3 farthings in general? If the latter, why just 1/3 farthings as opposed to other fractional?"

I am collecting 1/3 farthings in general. I bought one liked it and decided to collect them. As you know not including proofs and verities there are only 12 to collect. So it shouldn't be to daunting a task.

So far I have.

1827 ANACS MS61BN
    1835 PCGS MS62BN
    1881 NGC MS64RB
    1885 PCGS MS64RB

Also:
    All not graded yet but will grade in the MS range.

So I only have 1844, 1876, 1878 & 1884 to go.

I might start on the other fractional denominations after I complete the 1/3 farthings, but I might also upgrade the ones I have if better ones come along. Still kicking myself after I missed an 1866 proof 1/3 farthing on Heritage a while back.
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, both are very nice.image
  • Options
    Well, these 2 arrived today. Went 1 for 2. The 1902 shilling, while having lovely color, is FAR too beat up on the obverse to justify a 64 in my opinion. It's really only a 62/63, and I can't justify almost 2x Krause for it. Attractive, just not at that price point.

The Baden piece, on the other hand is absolutely stellar! Much more lustre than is evident in the pictures. Nice cartwheel action. It's in an old NGC fattie holder, and I think it's superb for a 65. I think it compares well with the PCGS 66 and 67 I have... hmm... whaddayathink, should I try and corner the market on 1907 2M death commems? image