Home U.S. Coin Forum

You have company over....

.....for dinner. They are good people who know you collect coins but they are not coin collectors themselves. Your guest's become curious and ask to see one of your coins.

Which one coin (choose only one) in your collection would you bring out and show them and why? (assume all your coins are readily available and not in the bank vault).

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something cheap, but cool.

Maybe a 20th Annv SAE (W-unc...or RP)
    Maybe a toned coin that is under $20 (I have a few of them at home).

I would show them the cheaper ones but tell them about the nicer ones......in the bank vault (yes, even if I had them at home)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    That's easy, the gold buffalo.

It is a design they may recognize and they may not understand the old crusty stuff.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the group. I'd pick something that will mean something to them. Absent that, something that will impress them right away without having to go into a story about why they "should" be impressed by it.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be prepared for them to ask you how much its worth. If it's a valuable coin and you give them an honest answer, be prepared for them to give you a funny look.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>Be prepared for them to ask you how much its worth. If it's a valuable coin and you give them an honest answer, be prepared for them to give you a funny look. >>

Depends on the crowd. They'll be less shocked if they have expensive tastes in other areas themselves.
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

Everyone that is a non-collector(imagine that) loves it and becomes curious about it.

• sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

My 1788 Mass half cent.

(1) Shows that coins were minted in this country by other than the official US mint.

(2) Shows how much the die's have improved from the early handmade ones

(3) Most non-knowledgeable people are suprised to see a US coin that old.

(4) But mainly, the history.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Out of all my coins, this one below (Forgive me for it is a darksider) I personally find one of the most interesting and therefore would be the one I show since it embodies the main reason why I collect coins - History. I think it would be easier to use this one to explain my passion for coins as opposed to some bright shiny coin in a plastic slab.

Morelos 1814 (sud) 8 reales , Mexican insurgency coin.
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Probably a Saint. It's a big beautiful gold coin, sure to get oohs and ahs from the unwashed masses.
  • dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    I notice when a non collector asks to see one of my coins, I can show them any coin that is Graded and they think it is cool. They usually ask about the holder, the actual grade and they become real interested.
    Dan
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Well, I thought about this. If they wanted to see something representative of what I collect, there are plenty of DMPLs and would probably opt for something not especially rare but very attractive: 1885 ANACS 65UDM, a original rainbow toned 1884 ANACS 64DMPL. or maybe 1878-CC VAM-11 NGC 64DMPL. However, an average Joe seeing a nice DMPL is about the same as seeing some current Mint product. Might as well haul out a proof set.

My choice then would be to bring out my Fugio. People might find the first coin authorized by the US gov't fascinating and especially in very nice condition (mine is AU58) for a 220 year old copper coin produced for a fledgling new nation that wouldn't be solidified until the close of the War of 1812, a quarter century after its minting.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my, I would ask their birth years and then bring out one for each of them. We all can connect to the birth
    year!
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe it or not a lot of non-collectors are amazed to see a spectacular gem from
    the '60's to '80's. If I have any at home (they're usually in the bank), that's what
    I'll show them.
    Tempus fugit.
  • rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd go big and shiny! Of course, the last time I brought out this silver dollar on just such an occasion, the response I got was
    "That's a nice one! My aunt has a whole box just like that!" image

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Everyone that is a non-collector(imagine that) loves it and becomes curious about it. >>

People shouldn't show their Beaver on the first date.
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

One with some history to it or an uncommon denomination which we don't see today. Most non-coin collectors think that Large Cents are cool.

So, usually choose one of the above.

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Hey, Danny

How are you ?
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>Hey, Danny

How are you ? >>

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probabyl my one pound ASE exonumia piece - solid silver, purchased below melt - when silver was $4.33/0z. image Cheers, RickO
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fugio Cent.

Every person, collector or not, that I have shown mine to has always been interested in the history of these coins
  • rah1959rah1959 Posts: 964
    I'll break the rules for naming ONE coin since my choice is housed in a custom Cherry wood display case made to display 5 slabbed coins......as one unit....

Since I live in Virginia....and everyone around here is interested in...or knows something about the Civil War...I would show/share with them my set of 5 (1861-1865) $20 Gold Liberty.....

When I have done such in the past...the observers were very intrigued to see such big gold coins that related to the Civil War years...I quickly tell them a highlight of the war per year coin I show....1861....Fort Sumter...1863..Gettysburg...and so on....

In the past I have garnered some interest in collecting coins from those that never collected before.....one friend now collects Civil War dated seated quarters and dimes.

As I noted....around here...anything Civil War causes people to take notice....imageimage
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe I'd trot out my 1909-S VDB Branch Mint Zerbe proof Morgan Dollar in PCGS ms91. That'd slay em. Then I'd tell em that my ol man once had 47 original bags of the things.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I show an AG capped bust half dime so they see what really did circulate well before the US Civil War.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• ajiaajia Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭
    This has happened to me.
    My son's girlfriends family came over and asked about my my coin collection.
    Brought out my 7070 Dansco........
    Need I say more?
    <<Brought out my 7070 Dansco........
    Need I say more?>>

Augie; didja tell em that there was a .30-06 Dansco behind it for additional protection?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Cool thread!

I probably show them my 1853 Eliasberg trime, PCGS AU-58. Partially because it's a great coin with fabulous eye appeal, but partially also because of the Eliasberg pedigree so I can tell his story and get more mileage out of the coolness factor. Plus, if they know little about coins, they'd probably be fascinated to know that there were once three cent pieces minted!
  • I'd just bring out the 100 ounce bar of silver. Most people seem to be more impressed by that then any coin I might have. Makes a nice doorstop during the summer when it's windy out. image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since so many people have never seen the George Washington Dollar, I'd pull one of them out and talk about it. I would ask them if they knew who the next president to be minted is, or which statehood quarter was due out next. A sort of trivia game.

Of course, if I focus on a coin instead of my company, they might not come back. image

HE>I

• Probably my 1908 $2 1/2 Indian. First year of issue on an obsolete coin. And it's GOLD!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

<< <i>Probably my 1908 $2 1/2 Indian. First year of issue on an obsolete coin. And it's GOLD! >>

You'd show that over a pre-Civil War coin? I can see showing the incuse Indian quarter eagle because it looks cooler, but I don't think the people would care whether a coin is first year of issue or not. They are also both obsolete and both gold image
  • Since I'm in SW Ohio, I'd probably bring out my First Flight proof. Later this year it would probably be the Presidential dollar proofs.

• tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    A red wheat penny. Good for the oohs and aahs and not so valuable so that I'd care if it got stolen.
    Maybe a nice toned Morgan dollar or one of those Wisconsin extra leaf quarters.

theknowitalltroll;

• << <i>

<< <i>Probably my 1908 $2 1/2 Indian. First year of issue on an obsolete coin. And it's GOLD! >>

You'd show that over a pre-Civil War coin? I can see showing the incuse Indian quarter eagle because it looks cooler, but I don't think the people would care whether a coin is first year of issue or not. They are also both obsolete and both gold image >>

I guess I could show them a toned morgan, or something REAL shiny, but not everyone has seen an Indian on a coin. A lot don't know that Indians ever were on coins. I guess I could bring my 1910-D $10 Indian, or my 1905 1c in MS64RB. Something with an Indian on it.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a familiar 8 Reales, Danny image

It would have to be a common Morgan. Non-collectors get a kick out of seeing a 100+ year old coin in mint state image

• I'd show'm my 1/2 pounder and my S&W..."-)

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    a liberty half eagle of course. any date, because gold is gold and
    impresses the ladies :-D

• << <i>a liberty half eagle of course. any date, because gold is gold and
    impresses the ladies :-D >>

That would be my third choice
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably a Saint. It's a big beautiful gold coin, sure to get oohs and ahs from the unwashed masses. >>

I showed my in-laws a Saint many years ago and they said nothing. My take on it was this: they knew that I dabbled in coins but probably just to the extent of circulated wheaties or dateless buffaloes. They have been properly educated since. It has lead to my handling of a few collections from people of their acquaintance.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a liberty half eagle of course. any date, because gold is gold and
    impresses the ladies :-D >>

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that $100 bills don't impress the ladies. It's the twos that do.
    And even then, I still can't get a girlfriend...oh well.
  • PetescornerPetescorner Posts: 1,220 ✭✭
    I have a nickel stamped on a penny planchet that I have shown many times to non-collectors. I think people who aren't necessarily into coins can always look at a cool error coin and think "wow!" image
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Dang, ya know what? I have a really boring collection. Just a bunch of nice crusty mid-grade Barber Halves and a couple of Barber Quarters.
    So I'd probably take out my raw AU 1905-o Half and pass it around. I think it's a swell coin and I'm sure people would get a kick out of the fact that they only minted about half the population of San Jose of them, vs. about four times the whole US population for an average modern coin run.
    Yeah, I seriously need a few 10 Dollar Indians, or something.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    dogwood, that isn't boring and I am sure some would find it fascinating that you have coin minted in New Orleans around the turn of the century.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Everyone that is a non-collector(imagine that) loves it and becomes curious about it. >>

Exact coin I was thinking of. Plus, It is getting harder to find on the open market. I just love mine.
    That beaver is actually one of the modern junk pieces I was inclined to buy for myself. They did sell out fast too.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That beaver is actually one of the modern junk pieces I was inclined to buy for myself. They did sell out fast too. >>

Hey now, I collect modern junk. (And some other stuff). image
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Living in Utah, this is a popular show and tell piece. Also happens to be the finest known.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    That's Easy....a Lifetime Issue of Alexander the Great...(top left)

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff,
    Not bad looking 2000 year old coins! Are those "First Strikes"?
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file