Home Metal Detecting

opinion needed Micronta 3001

Hello,
I have been reading a little here and there on this forum for about a year now. I'm amazed at what you people find. I am a long time coin collector.
The other day at a yard sale there was a metal detector for sale cheap so I bought it.
Radio Shack Micronta 3001 I have not learned how to use it yet.
So my question is: Are these any good? Can I actually find coins with it? How deep?
Or is it junk and I'm wasting my time?

Comments

• sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    Depth: 4.5" on a quarter. An all-transistor design that is probably almost as old as I am. Radio Shack dropped the Micronta name years ago, this particular machine dates from the 1970's, while the circuit's design is probably much older. Ancient as it is, I believe this same detector, or one with a very similar circuit, is still available today from various sources, while used units abound. It is adjusted depending on whether you are searching for ferrous or non-ferrous targets and has a center-reading meter.

I got the above from a meteorite search site testing 7 detectors. Obviously, it's an ok unit to test yourself on. Two things to keep in mind....MOST my silver coins are 5-6" or deeper that I've found, with a couple wheat cents even at 9". If it's 4.5" on a quarter, it might be getting that on a dime too, and you can still find older coins in that range (I've found a V nickel at 2"). A lot has to do with your location, soil, etc. Secondly, it detects ferrous and non-ferrous which will help you to descriminate out iron. However, to dig coins, you're also going to have to dig aluminum, foil, etc. Of course, digging everything is a great way to find a lot of good things (jewelry comes to mind). At the same time, it can get very tiring and frustrating. You'll understand if you go to a local park.

Things to keep in mind.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on how interested you become in metal detecting. For a start, it will be ok.... but for serious hobbyists, it leaves much to be desired. If you get hooked, you will soon find out - reward follows investment and learning. Cheers, RickO
  • Thanks for the info. I took it to several locations, park, fishing spot, old country restaurant dirt parking lot.
    No response at all. Then looked for a long lost iron pin, my property line marker. Hit and dig turned up a rotted beer can. Now what?
  • Now What???? Put some coins on the ground...TEST TEST TEST
    If you have a beach or sand box...go and plant some targets about 2 inch deep...TEST TEST TEST

You get the idea.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage