Home PSA Set Registry Forum

# 1 All Time Finest 1960 Set on Andy Madec Auction

Wow, i just clicked the page for Andy Madecs current auction from the Psa website and see that Tony Marino is apparently selling his #1 All Time Finest 1960 Topps Baseball set. what an incredible set Tony has put together, i'm a little sad to see it being sold and even more sad i can't even come close to being able to afford to bid on. good luck with the sale T. Phil

Comments

• bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭
    LINK

WOW, up to 98,505.00
  • kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap!! $98k on May 11. Deep pockets still exist somewhere...

Joe
  • I wonder what it cost to put the set together?
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great set no doubt, I wonder if the set was #2 on the registry, would the bids get so high?
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    If the right two guys battled it out the Koufax could sell for half the price alone. SMR for a set in "9" is 104K. I'd bet this one will still go higher.
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I noticed Don Spence has made his way into '60's baseball. I wonder if he is high bidder on the set. It would make sense.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Next bid $108,000image
  • StumpStump Posts: 927
    I believe Spence will win this set. I guess we will see after the auction. With the purchase of Cryer's sets he is at the top in 63,64 and 69 and has made strides in a few others. He will be next in the HOF
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Dave,

You are 100% right that Spence will win and 100% right he is a shoo-in for the PSA Set Registry Hall of Fame this year.

I would go even further and say I think at this point that his collection is the best on the registry and potentially better than even the famous Dreier collection although I would defer to Anthony Nex on that one which would mmake it the best in the hobby.

I still may have a chance at the 1960s Topps Megaset award this year if I can find the time to register my set.

Jim
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    What an incredible collection!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    that psa 10 koufax is not too shabby!

what a truly massive collection of cardboard.

you think seller will recover what he has invested in his set by end of auction? i would say no IMHO

julen
    RIP GURU
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Lol at the trimmed Roger Maris. Although the rest of the cards do look mighty nice.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i> would go even further and say I think at this point that his collection is the best on the registry and potentially better than even the famous Dreier collection although I would defer to Anthony Nex on that one which would mmake it the best in the hobby >>

Sorry Jim, IMO not even close. Maybe appproaching top 5 though.

edited to add: this is based on what I've seen of Mr. Spence's collection as listed on the registry. He could have 10x that in raw cards, and if he's got a huge stash of raw K Bats and Just So's and Boston Garters then all bets are off.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Anthony,

Consider the gact for what Don Collects there is usually 1 or 2 at most above him and he has some of the most sought after sets in the world.

You really think only approaching the Top 5? Look again at what is on the registry and think of 5 better.

Jim
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Jim-
    I have no doubt among registry listed collections he's either at the top or near the top of the heap. But there are several dozen collections that I know of (and I'm sure many, many more that I don't know of) that are considerably more extensive. We just saw a small part of one in Lionel Carters offering in the last Mastro, and the sale of his cards will continue in the next few auctions. This is just one example, and from what I understand he didn't collect 19th Century cards at all.
    I don't think you can compare condition rarites from '60's Topps sets to true rarites from Pre WW2 and the 1800's. Impressive, but not anywhere near the same league.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Sorry Anthony I don't buy it.

The guy has the top(or one of the top) collection(s) on the registry and because of that almost by definition the top(or one of the top) one(s) in the hobby in almost every well-known pre-war set and most mainstream Topps and Bowman sets in the 1950s and 1960s.

There may be rarer cards and sets but likely the vast majority are low grade. I know you know the Dreier collection well but outside of this I don't see Lionel Carter's collection being comparable in value nor do I think its likely that others are.

Jim
    To me it's hard to determine which is better between the widely distributed extremely popular sets (T205/T206/Cracker Jack/Goudey/Play Ball/Bowman/Topps) in high grades vs. the rediculous rarities of some of the early issues. You can certainly compare values, but that will really only demonstrate who has the most expensive collection at a given moment in time.

Personally I respect both those who compile a large variety of sets and those who choose to either specialize in a rare issue or a common issue in highest of grades.
  • I saw this set the other day...to bad that it doesn't have a Mantle PSA 9 in it...ha ha...

Tony thinks that the set will go for around $150,000...anyone that can loan me $149,999?

The real problem is the extra 17% you have to pay in addition to the winning bid!!!!

Perkdog...love your icon...

Spence who?
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I am proud to announce that I contributed one common psa 9 to Tony's set - Bob Skinner. Do I get a cut of the sale? I would be happy with that Koufax!
    $150,000????

Who else but Don would bid that high?

Now if this was a Memory Lane auction maybe....
  • StumpStump Posts: 927
    I don't think it will go to 150K. Most of the people who were bidders on this are out now. I would be surprised if it went much higher. With premium its over 110K. Just my opinion
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
    I'd guess if the guys who bid $66K for a '62 Koufax or $44K for a '57 Koufax got in the action it could go up that high. I'm guessing it won't either, but it's not crazy to think it might.

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd guess if the guys who bid $66K for a '62 Koufax or $44K for a '57 Koufax got in the action it could go up that high. I'm guessing it won't either, but it's not crazy to think it might. >>

The last two PSA 9 Koufax cards from 1960 went for $1,100 and $1,500, so I can't imagine that this Koufax PSA 10 is suddently worth tens of thousands of dollars.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Interesting question...some at the show I attended...where Andy was exhibiting this set...felt that the Koufax card alone was worth $25-50K alone! My best guess is that the set will go between $130-150K...I'm not sure that the winner bidder has even bid yet...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭

<< <i>$150,000????

Who else but Don would bid that high?

Now if this was a Memory Lane auction maybe.... >>

You're bad Jim, you're bad.....image
    Capecards
    Actually, if someone would bid against Don my best guess is it might be the owner of the finest 1967 Topps set in existence--the poster right above me.

Jim
  • What an awesome set, and what a great feeling it must be to be able to spend $108,356.00 on it. anybody suprised high or low on the sell price? any clues as to who the lucky buyer of this great set might be? Phil
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    throw in the 15% and it is close to 125k , awesome set but a lot of dough given the popularity of the 60 set and the high level of cards in this one , I'm curious if it would have done better broken up. 125 is a lot to accumulate but the koufax alon would have put a big dent in it.
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Tony thinks that the set will go for around $150,000...anyone that can loan me $149,999?
    >>

If the seller was hoping for $150,000, is he disappointed with the price? Did he have more into the set than $108,000?

• From my understanding he is fine with the selling price, it's in the neighborhood of what he expected. I believe the Koufax would probably be a 6 to 10 K card on it's own. PB
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth Griffins I agree with you on the collections of material that are not on the registry. To me the 1800s cards that might have 1 to 2 copies exist total are much more impressive than anything post war. Condition doesn't matter at that level of rarity. Grading is subjective and to me saying I have the only PSA 10 of a card vs 200 PSA 8s or 20 PSA 9s is much different than a card like a Boston Garters that might only have 5 exist total.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

<< <i> believe the Koufax would probably be a 6 to 10 K card on it's own. PB >>

In this current market with 9's getting close to 10k from 62 etc I would bet this card would have gone for much much more than that
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry Anthony I don't buy it.

The guy has the top(or one of the top) collection(s) on the registry and because of that almost by definition the top(or one of the top) one(s) in the hobby in almost every well-known pre-war set and most mainstream Topps and Bowman sets in the 1950s and 1960s.

There may be rarer cards and sets but likely the vast majority are low grade. I know you know the Dreier collection well but outside of this I don't see Lionel Carter's collection being comparable in value nor do I think its likely that others are.

Jim >>

The "best" is always a subjective judgement, but the Drier collection goes so far beyond the registry that there is no comparison. It's like comparing a private art collection to the Louvre. Both are substantial, both are impressive - but I believe it would be a physical impossibility to put together a collection of registry sets that could compare to the Drier Museum. You just can't believe the breadth of the issues and rarities housed there.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont like it that the mantle is an 8.
    Mark,

So I understand. I have corresponded with Doug a couple of times and spoken with Anthony about it.

On my next trip to Los Angeles, Anthony was going to try to get he and I and Doug together that could possibly culminate in me seeing this stunning collection.

I would be thrilled(and honored) to see it.

I didn't know until recently you lived near Anthony. We have gone out to dinner with the famous David Vargha(now a Texan) and the GAI guys in the past when I visited Los Angeles. Would love to have you join us next time.

Jim
  • A PSA Gem Mint 10 Mays sold for $10,330 in 2004 and $8,710 in 2005

A PSA Gem Mint 10 Mantle/Boyer #160 sold for $7,943 in 2005 and $5,533 in 2006

these were some examles of Psa 10 HOF'ers selling in Psa 10 holders. these are both still pop 1 cards so they were the same copy of each being sold twice. PB

<< <i>A PSA Gem Mint 10 Mays sold for $10,330 in 2004 and $8,710 in 2005

A PSA Gem Mint 10 Mantle/Boyer #160 sold for $7,943 in 2005 and $5,533 in 2006

these were some examles of Psa 10 HOF'ers selling in Psa 10 holders. these are both still pop 1 cards so they were the same copy of each being sold twice. >>

koufax is a whole different animal. The mantle is not his main card and mays just does not have the same following as koufax . the koufax collectors have the money and spend it, a psa 8 66 opc sold for over 2k for example. look at what some of the 9's have sold for for topps cards
  • Tony conveyed to me that he was very happy with the selling price. I doubt he had that much into it as he picked up many of his nines years ago for prices closer to $50.00.

Andy also told me he tried to get Tony to pull the Koufax 10 to sell sparately and replace it with a 9. He feels the market for Koufax 10s is very good right now based on what he recently (October 2006) sold a 1957 PSA 9 (over $50,000) and 1962 PSA 9 (over $30,000) for. Unfortunately he sold my 57 PSA 9 in October of 2005 for under $8,000. What a difference a year can make.

Bill
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Bill...the "replacing" discussion you just brought up makes me think...

when you submit a raw set to Mem, I mean, to an auction house...have they been known to cherry pick the gradeable 9's and 10's out of your set, send those cards in for themselves, replace submitted cards with NM versions (or lesser) and then auction your set for a much lower price than you'd have figured on?

"Sorry, due...the market's just been soft on complete sets" when the winning bid on your set comes in at 75% of book.

Or have I been watching too much CSI?

(Kudos to Andy for being upfront about that Koufax 10 to Tony.)

• I don't deal in raw cards so I have no experiences like that.

I usually sell my stuff on eBay, but a couple times I have used Andy when I was selling some high grade stars. Andy and Tony are both great people and I consider myself lucky to have them as resources. I trust them both. They have been absolutely honest and friendly towards me and I am far from being a big dollar customer.

Bill
  • If you've been watching the 1960 set lately it looks really clear who bought the set. wow this guy Mr Spence must have an absolutely incredible card room with all the fantastic sets he now owns. I have built the 60 set twice now and am closing in on 70% on my 3rd time thru and for me the assembly of the set and finding the cards i need is at least as much fun as actually owning the cards. but it sure must be nice to be able to purchase the best 60 set complete. PB
  • I wonder if Mr. Spence will look to improve the set? Seems like the #2 set (the #1 current set, until the rest of the Spence set is added) continues to close the gap on the top set of all-time. Binzley seems to have a money is no object mentality when it comes to buying PSA 9s. He's upgraded the set with about 20 PSA 9s in the last 4 or 5 weeks.
    I'd love to have a few 9s that they both need!!
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Don has been very aggressive in updating many of his sets, so I would expect the same from 1960 Topps
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Looks as if Mr. Spence has already upgraded the collection since he took ownership. Binzley continues to upgrade also and is .16 behind the #1 set of all-time.
    Is it a coincidence that there's at least 8 PSA 9s from the 1960 set on EBAY over the next few days? Should be fun (for the sellers) to see how much these cards will go for.