Home Sports Talk
Options

Clemens will return to the Yankees

I think this is somewhat surprising, but who am I

Comments

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I was expecting this. Jerk that he is, he'll go wherever they'll pay the most, and you knew Georgy would pay the most right now, since all their pitchers are hurt. I HATE Clemens right now and hope he fails miserably this year.....
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pickup for the Yankees. He's worth his weight in gold for them right now, and they really needed a lift like the one Rocket will surely provide. Wang, Pettite, Mussina, Clemens, Hughes. Rotation suddenly looks a lot more solid now.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great pickup for the Yankees. He's worth his weight in gold for them right now. Wang, Pettite, Mussina, Clemens, Highes. Rotation suddenly looks a lot more solid now. >>

Yes it does, and the Yankee hating rhetoric will go wild for a week or so. This can be a strong rotation in due time not to mention that Clemens will be a GREAT tutor for Phil Hughes who will probably be the 5th starter.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    A just heard a report that Boston offered Clemens the sweetheart deal where he could leave when he is not pitching and that the Sox would have gone to a 6 man rotation .... interesting. To all those who are going to cry about the Yankees "throwing" monet at Clemens lets just remember the GOBS of money thrown at D-Mat who has been less then spectacular.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    That hurts image

As a fan, I'm really disappointed in Rocket. He saw first hand the backlash Pettitte got for going.

I wish him the best and in hindsight, sure am glad I got to see him as many times as I did. He brought electricity to the stadium that I cannot describe.

I still dam you image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

<< <i>A just heard a report that Boston offered Clemens the sweetheart deal where he could leave when he is not pitching and that the Sox would have gone to a 6 man rotation .... interesting. To all those who are going to cry about the Yankees "throwing" monet at Clemens lets just remember the GOBS of money thrown at D-Mat who has been less then spectacular. >>

Clemen's agent just said that the Yankees were the only team to make an offer.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I can believe that. The Sox wanted him, but they've been dragging thieir feet about it. The current rotation is just too solid right now and there just isn't any place for Clemens. It makes sense to go to the Yankees since they really need him the most.
  • Options

<< <i>I can believe that. The Sox wanted him, but they've been dragging thieir feet about it. The current rotation is just too solid right now and there just isn't any place for Clemens. It makes sense to go to the Yankees since they really need him the most. >>

They wanted him at the end of June which Clemens didn't want any part of. Same from Houston. The only formal offer was from the Yanks.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Another season of the Yankees using their finances to dig themselves out of trouble. I'm used to that.

I said last week that I didn't want Clemens back, and I stand by it. The Yanks desperately need him, the Red Sox don't. It's all set up for him to ride in on his white horse and save the day for the Evil Empire. He has always been the type of player to care only about himself, and he jumped at a situation where he can be the savior.

I'm not surprised at this at all, only at how early it was announced.
  • Options

<< <i>They wanted him at the end of June which Clemens didn't want any part of. Same from Houston. The only formal offer was from the Yanks. >>

Source??

I find that hard to believe but time will soon tell.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    << They wanted him at the end of June which Clemens didn't want any part of. Same from Houston. The only formal offer was from the Yanks>>

This is true. Roger's agent confirmed this at a press conference which I heard after the Yankee game.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Another season of the Yankees using their finances to dig themselves out of trouble. I'm used to that.

I said last week that I didn't want Clemens back, and I stand by it. The Yanks desperately need him, the Red Sox don't. It's all set up for him to ride in on his white horse and save the day for the Evil Empire. He has always been the type of player to care only about himself, and he jumped at a situation where he can be the savior.

I'm not surprised at this at all, only at how early it was announced. >>

Typical response by you CTSox image You probably would have been the ONLY Bosox fan to not want him back. We have all discussed the reasons. Cmon..you know your tune would have changed if he had signed image

Everyone knows it's BS to blame the Yanks for paying the guy when both the Red Sox and the Astros were willing to open their wallets in a huge way also.

According to the press conference, the big difference was that the Yankees want him NOW and the Red Sox and Astros wanted him end of June or beginning of July.

And why shouldnt Clemens make this about him? He is in demand. Can't fault him for that either.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They wanted him at the end of June which Clemens didn't want any part of. Same from Houston. The only formal offer was from the Yanks. >>

Source??

I find that hard to believe but time will soon tell. >>

Like SeatedCoin mentioned above, Clemen's agent said so in the press conference. I don't make stuff up.
  • Options
    Clemens is a 5 or 6 (at best) inning pitcher in his career right now and he'll certainly jump start the Yankees. Unfortunately they have to get through 4 innings without him, and that's where they haven't improved. Personally I think the Sox should have grabbed him just so the Yankees couldn't but only time will tell if this will hurt them or not.
    Jay
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prediction: 7-4 with 4.44 e.r.a.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I have an interesting scenario involving Clemens, although by no means do I ever think it could or would come about.

Assuming by late summer the Yankees rotation of Pettitte, Mussina, Wang, and Hughes is all healthy and pitching well, they should slide Clemens in as a set up man.

Now again, I know this wont ever happen, but what if ?

Imagine come playoff time if they had the 4 man rotation mentioned above and Clemens could come in and throw flames for an inning or two to bridge the gap to Rivera.

It would be a near perfect recipe for success. Now if only the Yanks and Clemens could agree with me image
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    As long as he can eat up innings and take the some of the pressure off an already overworked bullpen, the Yanks might actually win a game or two.
  • Options

<< <i>Like SeatedCoin mentioned above, Clemen's agent said so in the press conference. I don't make stuff up. >>

I wasn't doubting you heard it, just requesting the source of your information.

No response from the 'Stros as of yet. They got some explaining to do..
  • Options
    alpemomoalpemomo Posts: 355
    As long as he can eat up innings

Or maybe shoot up some hGh or something .... I love a pitcher in his 40s getting bigger, throwing faster .... Nahh he's way too likeable no controversy there
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Options
    As an Astros fan I say let him go...... he was just a sideshow act here anyway. Never lived up to expectations. Just cash the checks , smile and make commercials. Maybe he can bunk with Petite now.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $28 million (pro-rated) per year? Plus Luxury Tax?

Well, we know what Clemen$$$$$$ loves most of all.

• Options
    Coin,

Don't use the money CRUTCH when your own team spent more money on D-MAT's "bid" then some teams spend in payroll for an entire team. Please, THAT old as the hills default whine holds no water

• Options
    I'm disappointed, but at the same time, I don't blame Clemens. The Sox don't need him. In fact, according to statements reported by the Globe, they didn't even want him to start until mid-June/July. The Yanks want and need him NOW. His current friends in the league are in NY, his favorite Mgr - Torre is in NY, and Steinbrenner has always had a great relationship with him. Other than Wakefield, he doesn't have any friends in the Sox's clubhouse. Roger owes nothing to Boston. He was driven out. NY on the other hand, I think he still feels a little bit of obligation to return after "retiring" on them after '03.

Having him back in Boston would have simply been a sentimental move to heal old wounds, nothing more. Oh well, at least now he'll pitch for a team that'll finally give him some run support now. If he had signed with Houston, he would have been wasted again away.

His ERA will go up in the AL East, but he'll still win games. If Randy Johnson can win 17 games with a 5.00+ ERA, Clemens can do no worse. He'll do well, but he won't be enough to pull the Yanks out of the cellar.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin,

Don't use the money CRUTCH when your own team spent more money on D-MAT's "bid" then some teams spend in payroll for an entire team. Please, THAT old as the hills default whine holds no water >>

I'm not. The Red Sox offered a rather hefty $18 million pro-rated, for, at best, their #3 starter. I thought the Yanks would offer $20 million or so. But $28 million, plus 40% luxury tax, is an incredible amount of money, even for the Yankees.
  • Options

<< <i> His ERA will go up in the AL East, but he'll still win games. If Randy Johnson can win 17 games with a 5.00+ ERA, Clemens can do no worse. He'll do well, but he won't be enough to pull the Yanks out of the cellar. >>

ummmm, the Yankees ARE out of the cellar image Some good thoughts Brian but you crashed and burned with that last one.

D-Mat "at best" their # 3 starter image No, that is what he is turning out to be but the Sox thought they were getting an ace.

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Ya tired ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Coin,

Don't use the money CRUTCH when your own team spent more money on D-MAT's "bid" then some teams spend in payroll for an entire team. Please, THAT old as the hills default whine holds no water >>

I'm not. The Red Sox offered a rather hefty $18 million pro-rated, for, at best, their #3 starter. I thought the Yanks would offer $20 million or so. But $28 million, plus 40% luxury tax, is an incredible amount of money, even for the Yankees. >>

I believe he means that if Clemens were slotted into the Boston rotation today, he'd be at best the #3 starter. I think he'd be 4th myself. And, $28 million? For 2/3 of a season? The Yankee$ sure had better hope the old dude has something left in the tank. I am extremely happy that I will not have to root for him this summer, in fact, this will make the Yankee$ collapse and ultimate failure this season all the more sweet.
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Prediction: 7-4 with 4.44 e.r.a. >>

Close, I will go with 5-6 5.23 ERA 1.67 WHIP

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options

<< <i>

I believe he means that if Clemens were slotted into the Boston rotation today, he'd be at best the #3 starter. I think he'd be 4th myself. And, $28 million? For 2/3 of a season? The Yankee$ sure had better hope the old dude has something left in the tank. I am extremely happy that I will not have to root for him this summer, in fact, this will make the Yankee$ collapse and ultimate failure this season all the more sweet. >>

But if the Bosox signed him, he would be their #1 or #2, right? image

That could be a whole lotta crow to eat, CTSox, especially for this early in the season!

Good pitching is so hard to come by that this would have worked out nicely for any of the three teams that would have signed him. Obviously all three teams believe in him because they were all talking to his agent to sign him.

Even if Clemens isnt as dominate as he was in the NL, he has a lot to offer the club. His clubhouse presence is going to be huge....and of course I hope he can blow away the opposition.
  • Options

<< <i>But if the Bosox signed him, he would be their #1 or #2, right? >>

Absolutely not. He's behind Schilling, Beckett, D-Mat, and maybe even Wakefield, if he pitches in Boston. No question about it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Prediction: 7-4 with 4.44 e.r.a. >>

Close, I will go with 5-6 5.23 ERA 1.67 WHIP >>

I like your style. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>But if the Bosox signed him, he would be their #1 or #2, right? >>

Absolutely not. He's behind Schilling, Beckett, D-Mat, and maybe even Wakefield, if he pitches in Boston. No question about it. >>

Now lets get real about this! Behind Beckett MAYBE thus far this season and this season alone! I cant say that I agree he would be behind Schilling either. And certainly not behind the unproven DMat and behind Wakefield is just plain NUTS! image
  • Options
    Ok, in response to all the predictions on his record Ive decided to set up a little contest.

We will have to keep this post in mind and bump it as the season goes on but here goes...

The person who can correctly guess Clemens won-loss record this year will win a prize I will determine within the next week.

As a tie-breaker the person who correctly guesses his won-loss record AND final strikeout total will be the winner.

And I still say the hands down best way the Yanks could use him would be to insert him as a set-up man extraordinare. With his splitter and experience he could very well be one of the best ever at that role and give the Yankees the best chance at winning down the stretch and postseason.

If George, Clemens, or anyone else in Yankee land is listening, PLEASE consider this suggestion !
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    9-3 3.25 ERA 107 Ks
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8-5 3.45 ERA 92 K's

Brian, I agree he would prolly be more effective in the middle relief role as well. But having a solid starter inserted into a staff is always a good option as well. Providing he is STILL effective, which remains to be seen.
  • Options
    What? Funny how you are all of a sudden flush with confidence - it's a good day for Yankee fans to post, eh?

Here's some analysis for you - last season, Clemens pitched in the NL Central, not exactly the best hitting division in baseball. Now, after being away for several years, he will have to face AL hitting, more specifically, AL East opposition. There is a big difference between pitching in the AL than pitching in the NL. You will come down from your high horse for a minute to see that, right?
  • Options

Listen to Suzyn Waldman on WCBS 880 Radio go bonkers after Rocket made the announcement. Just hilarious!

Waldman's Reaction to Roger Clemens is back

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    I dont think anyone is expecting him to carry 2.30 ERA with that kind of a WHIP in the AL East but certainly not as bad as what you are making it out to be CTSox!

Nothing wrong with being a hopeful fan....and a fan with expectations!

• Options
    SeatedCoin
    I dont even WANT to listen to her! She is down right SCARY!!!
  • Options
    Not that it really matters but there is NO way Schilling would have taken a back seat to Clemens if he was inserted in our rotation let alone Beckett the way he is pitching, realisticaly (for arguments sake) he would have been a fourth starter.

• Options
    You make a point Perkdog that has me wondering....would Schilling and Clemens be able to share the spotlight when it comes to the Sox rotation?
  • Options
    Perk,

Aside from the fact that Clemens and the team would probably never go for it I meant it ONLY under the situation where in the yankees had 4 healthy and able starters going into the postseason.

Should Mussina, Pettitte, Wang, and Hughes all be healthy and on top of their game come playoffs they only need a 4 man rotation and that is where Clemens bridging the gap to Rivera would be a perfect fit.

Heck, as a setup man pitching an inning or two at the most Clemens could probably pitch until he was into his 50's.

Just imagine what that would already do for his legend and aura. Reinventing himself in his late 40's and becoming a dominant setup man after his 50th birthday !
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> His ERA will go up in the AL East, but he'll still win games. If Randy Johnson can win 17 games with a 5.00+ ERA, Clemens can do no worse. He'll do well, but he won't be enough to pull the Yanks out of the cellar. >>

ummmm, the Yankees ARE out of the cellar image Some good thoughts Brian but you crashed and burned with that last one.

>>

Well, with a current .483 winning percentage, I don't consider that sitting in the sunshine either? image
  • Options
    I dont even WANT to listen to her! She is down right SCARY!!!

Yeah and to think she grew up a Boston fan. Sox fans, you can have her back.

"Ironically, though she has been very devoted to a career that heavily revolves around the New York sports scene and the New York Yankees in particular, she was born and raised in Massachusetts and was originally a fan of the rival Boston Red Sox. She has said, though, that she ceased to be a Red Sox fan at least 20 years ago. She has been quoted as saying, "I climbed on the bandwagon and I'm not leaving anytime soon!"[citation needed] Her brother, Richard, however, is a teacher at a Day School near Boston."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzyn_Waldman

• Options
    Look,

We ALL know he wont put up the number this year, back in the AL that he did pitching in the NL. I dont think anyone is thinking he will or debating the point.

I do agree completely that had he signed with the Sox or Stros today we wouldnt be hearing 1/10 of the negative stuff thats being spewed on here.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Should Mussina, Pettitte, Wang, and Hughes all be healthy and on top of their game come playoffs they only need a 4 man rotation and that is where Clemens bridging the gap to Rivera would be a perfect fit.

Bri, I think you are on to something. Now if you only had access to the Bat phone.

• Options
    Barry- I would like to think that Curt is proffesional enough to accept any positive help to the team he could get but it would be a slap in the face to a guy that is still effective and pitches his heart out every outing.. I bet this crossed Theo's mind a few times.

• Options
    By the way, didn't the Astros pay him as much last year?

• Options
    By the way, let me put myself on the record as saying that I did not want Rocket back. I think the Yankees should give their rookies a chance. Just look how well Rasner pitched today. He gave up no runs and only 3 hits.

I do think Roger Clemens will be a very postitive influence on the youngsters and that could be an intangible but $9 Million for 4 months to rent a player is a bit steep.