Home U.S. Coin Forum

Few TRULY exceptional coins exist - this is one.

MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
This is certainly worth a view. Talk about frosty devices and mirrored fields! For me this one scores 9.85 out of 10 (I don't give out 10s) and takes WOW to new heights. Not my coin, nor my picture (of course). No affiliation, irons-in-the-fire, etc. (no spam disclaimer).

Photo

title edditted for speling. image
There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I would buy it if I had the money. That thing is just a moose and a half..
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I'd buy that for a dollar!

(maybe two...) image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Truly unique...I sure would buy it if I had the money.
    aka Dan
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Looks too good to be true. Maybe the nicest coin I have ever seen. That reverse looks as good as those new Proof San Fran Mint Commems. image
  • JapanJohnJapanJohn Posts: 2,030
    Hu - Hu - Hu - Hundred and Eighteen THOUSAND..........

Back to the Silver Eagle Collection.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwie!image
  • Just think of having two for the low price of a quarter million...

This Coin

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

Too bad it's just silver bullion!!! image

Those coins truly are exceptional.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you rather have; the 1913 $5 million dollar nickel or a roll of proof Morgans like those?
  • MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Roll of cameo proof Morgans, hands down.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826

<< <i>Roll of cameo proof Morgans, hands down. >>

Yepper.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    What I have to say about this Morgan is image.

-------------

etexmike
  • Yeah, yeah...but will it cross?

Rex
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best examples of why the lore of numismatics is so appealing. Enlarge the photo, frame it, then hang it in the Louvre.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first one is incredible... would love to see that in hand. The second - well, I just cannot understand how it achieved that grade.... and would be willing to bet, it would downgrade on resubmittal. (No one, in possession of the second coin, would do that.. so much for ethics among numismatists.) Cheers, RickO

• << <i>What I have to say about this Morgan is image.

-------------

etexmike >>

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, yeah...but will it cross? >>

Will anyone crack it and try for a 70? image
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my, it's been thumbed to hide the roller marks on the jaw bone!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH
    lol
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What would you rather have; the 1913 $5 million dollar nickel or a roll of proof Morgans like those? >>

The 1913 hands down. Roll quantities don't interest me in the least.

<< <i>

<< <i>What would you rather have; the 1913 $5 million dollar nickel or a roll of proof Morgans like those? >>

The 1913 hands down. Roll quantities don't interest me in the least. >>

Besides, what fun is collecting a Box of 20 when they are all the same?
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the proof 69 Morgan but I would rather have the Eliasberg 1913 nickel than 2 or 3 rolls of proof Morgans.
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be hard to find a nicer one.

• << <i>

Will anyone crack it and try for a 70? image >>

No problem -- send it to SGS or ICG

Rex

<< <i>

<< <i>

Will anyone crack it and try for a 70? image >>

No problem -- send it to SGS or ICG >>

I doubt anyone would crack that to try to get a 70 at SGS or ICG. I might be wrong, but I highly doubt it image
  • DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Definitely a roll of PR DCAM morgans. To me it looks like marks on the holder in the second morgans obverse photo.
    aka Dan
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    nice but expensive. i wonder how many dealers have had that
    in their inventory? probably longer then collectors have held onto it

;0)
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting example of how different folks can view a coin since most people here appear to really like the coin, yet I think it has negative eye appeal and that it would not be in my collection regardless of price.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Tom - I'm curious - can you state what it is about that coin that does not appeal to you?
    –John Adams, 1826
    The link is not showing the image for me at the moment, but I will tell you that my impression is that I find it difficult to believe that a proof coin of that age (approximately 115 years old) could not have nearly white surfaces without having been dipped at least once. These coins were often stored using velvet, wood, or paper systems and quite often were stored in this manner for many years. These storage systems generally help impart some sort of color or toning on the coin, whether attractive or not, and to find a piece that is nearly devoid of color is quite unnatural. Additionally, I believe the image showed that the coin appeared to be slightly yellow in certain areas, which is again consistent with a deeply toned coin after a dip where the dip could not remove all the toning. If this were a very recent proof issue then I would have no objection to its appearance. The fact that it has almost positively been dipped makes the coin quite unattractive to me.

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i didn't see anything negative about it either.....what a strike and detail...WOW!

i'd take a roll of those easy, you guys can have your nickel and all the extra pocket change.....lol
  • ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    I agree with TomB wholeheartedly, it is not a coin I would want to own nor sell to a customer.
    I believe the contrast is turned up so high in the image that drawing any conclusions whatsoever off of it is a folly.
    Just to complete the conversation, let me say - I understand your position.
    –John Adams, 1826
    TDN, I'm not certain what you are referring to, but if you believe it folly to think this coin might have been dipped in the past simply because the contrast is turned up so high, then you and I will simply have to agree to disagree on that point since, contrast or no, that coin has very little chance of being original.

<< <i>TDN, I'm not certain what you are referring to, but if you believe it folly to think this coin might have been dipped in the past simply because the contrast is turned up so high, then you and I will simply have to agree to disagree on that point since, contrast or no, that coin has very little chance of being original. >>

I'm saying that it could very well have light toning on it and you'd never be able to tell because the image has been turned into a black/white cameo via contrast manipulation. With a bit of photoshop work, the image of the other coin [ex: John Story Jenks ... 100% original] can probably be turned into a close match.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TDN, I'm not certain what you are referring to, but if you believe it folly to think this coin might have been dipped in the past simply because the contrast is turned up so high, then you and I will simply have to agree to disagree on that point since, contrast or no, that coin has very little chance of being original. >>

Regardless of the dipping issue, the contrast is juiced a bit on that image.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    Okay, I understand now what you are getting at much more clearly now.image Of course, I still don't like the coin.image

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The 1913 hands down. Roll quantities don't interest me in the least. >>

TDN---Is it even possible to put together a single roll of PF69 Morgan dollars?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• that coin has very little chance of being original.

Is this one of those times when a dip actually enhanced the coins beauty? Isnt that the look you want on a proof morgan dollar?

<< <i>This is an interesting example of how different folks can view a coin since most people here appear to really like the coin, yet I think it has negative eye appeal and that it would not be in my collection regardless of price. >>

I'd say that that statement could be made about a lot of the coin pics posted here. Some coins that get others' hearts all atwitter don't excite me in the least.
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The link is not showing the image for me at the moment, but I will tell you that my impression is that I find it difficult to believe that a proof coin of that age (approximately 115 years old) could not have nearly white surfaces without having been dipped at least once. >>

Just because the coin is 115 years old does not ipso facto mean that it definitely has been dipped. I own several and have seen countless more German and German States proofs from approximately the same time period (1890-1920) in DCAM and UCAM holders that are brilliant white and show phenomenal black/white contrast. Have every last one of them been dipped? I find that hard to believe.

(I'm not saying that many haven't been dipped, but IMO it's a stretch to claim that if a 100-year-old proof is white it MUST have been dipped...)
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Just because the coin is 115 years old does not ipso facto mean that it definitely has been dipped. I own several and have seen countless more German and German States proofs from approximately the same time period (1890-1920) in DCAM and UCAM holders that are brilliant white and show phenomenal black/white contrast. Have every last one of them been dipped? I find that hard to believe.

(I'm not saying that many haven't been dipped, but IMO it's a stretch to claim that if a 100-year-old proof is white it MUST have been dipped...) >>

As Tom pointed out, the way these were stored produces an incredible liklihood that they would have toned someway or another. I don't know how the German pieces were stored, but early American proofs were not in air-tight holders, and were exposed to many reactants.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know the history of this coin? Did it always look like this? I find it hard to believe it remained this clean for 203 years.

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this one of those times when a dip actually enhanced the coins beauty? Isnt that the look you want on a proof morgan dollar? >>

Who? Me? Speaking only for myself, I can say with great confidence that I do not want my proof Morgan Dollar to look like this.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Where does Albanese find these monsters?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

<< <i>Does anyone know the history of this coin? Did it always look like this? >>

I know a few years back it used to be grade PF64 when I stupidly passed on purchasing it at a very reasonable level! image
  • Who? Me? Speaking only for myself, I can say with great confidence that I do not want my proof Morgan Dollar to look like this.

You want a crusty proof morgan?
    1. I agree with Bajjer - there are different elements to a coin (or coin photo) that get the juices flowing for each and every one of us. For me, a relative newcomer to the hobby, the coin that "first got my numismatic juices flowing" was the proof SAE (obverse) back in 2000/2001. As time past, my hot buttons have changed - sort of. But, I was struck with this coin photo as being the closest a proof Morgan photo (Morgan’s being another of my favorites) has ever come to displaying the quality (strike and surface-wise; depth of field mirrors, cameo, etc.) of a near-perfect SAE obverse. The SAE obverse and Morgan obverse and reverse are, of course, numismatic classics.

2. If you think about photos of the SAE DCAM proof, the black mirrors don’t require that you juice the image. You only need to reflect a black surface in the mirrored fields and the cameo pops. Tom’s comments aside, I’ll bet that Morgan looks as good as many PR69DCAM SAEs. That, to me, is incredible. Not six-figure incredible, but incredible none-the-less.

3. TDN - I am not buying that a dip can convert a PR64 to a PR69. After all, the grading company saw this in hand, they did not grade it from a photograph – so the jet black mirrors were not black when they graded it. I’m not saying you’re dead wrong - but a five point grade boost – that’s a hard comment to swallow. Even if NGC over graded the coin by a point, a four point boost is still very hard to swallow (I’m only continuing the conversation here, not trying to pick a fight with you). Perhaps I am being naive when it comes to these high-dollar coins?
    –John Adams, 1826
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who? Me? Speaking only for myself, I can say with great confidence that I do not want my proof Morgan Dollar to look like this.

You want a crusty proof morgan? >>

I just prefer my coins not to look like they've been nuclear radiated.

There are a few of these sorts of coins around - including some Barber material in NGC PF69 holders - all bright white. There must be a market for these, somewhere, but they seem to hang around for a while.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file