(too damn small)

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I say... TDS

(too damn small)

image >>

• Options
    RWRW Posts: 485
    Wow that is small...hmm...lol. Uno momento.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    It's probably intentionally toned, meaning somebody bought it white and set out to make it change color so he could turn a profit. Instead of paying premiums for these, people should learn to tone their own and save their hard earned money.
  • Options

<< <i>It's probably intentionally toned, meaning somebody bought it white and set out to make it change color so he could turn a profit. Instead of paying premiums for these, people should learn to tone their own and save their hard earned money. >>

As long as there is a profit to be made,nothing will change.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's probably intentionally toned, meaning somebody bought it white and set out to make it change color so he could turn a profit. Instead of paying premiums for these, people should learn to tone their own and save their hard earned money. >>

As long as there is a profit to be made,nothing will change. >>

Except the coins. They'll change into whatever people are paying a premium for. image
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Been in cardboard for a while. I have one like that at home from littleton that my father gave to me from the '90s. Had it for years in a little plastic case with a cardboard holder. Looked at it a few years ago while looking at coins with my son and said "oh ship, I better take that out of there" so I did but it was too late.

Looks like the same holder the one I have from litteton.
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say AT, but you know what.....It's very attractive, certainly better than that other neon lighted AT garbage out there.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    this could have toned this way if it was kept in that plastic holder... have seen this on several that are in those special cardboard/plastic holders... i guess something in the cardboard material.

/ed

• Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Definitely NT. It's the holder that did it.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    oh yeah... and I have a bunch of MS 64 Kennedy's that I got from my grandfather that are doing the same thing in those plastic holders... and looking cool! so I ain't taking them out.... image guess I am a coin doctor now image

/ed

• Options
    RWRW Posts: 485
    I was leaning towards NT based upon the holder and the seller's history. He doesn't have anything toned that he's selling and his items are pretty consistent with an inherited collection being sold as he says. I was playing E-tective. image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    NT IMO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shipping is too high IMO; no need to ship an item like that flat rate priority. First class is fine; AND CHEAPER. I'd say pretty likely NT.
  • Options
    NT
  • Options
    NT
  • Options

In the auction, they claim AMAZING TONING

They make no NT claim whatsoever. So there really is no question as to which it is.
    //ab

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell, but I vote real.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>In the auction, they claim AMAZING TONING

They make no NT claim whatsoever. So there really is no question as to which it is. >>

By which you mean to say it is AT? That is NT.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    Looks like a hunk of bullion with some "stuff" on it. Now, do we called it "Toned" or "L@@K Rainbow Toned" Just "Rainbow"????
    OK, sorry, I know this is serious Binness.
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely NT. It's the holder that did it. >>

It's a littleton holder.
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I have a couple that are doing the same thing- somewhat pretty, but I don't think it's worth any sort of premium over the melt value..
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    I'm starting a collectors club for colored marbles...... anybody in? They're "Pretty"image
  • Options
    I was thinking about this today and started wondering if being in a Littleton holder is really a reliable way to determine if a coin is NT.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was thinking about this today and started wondering if being in a Littleton holder is really a reliable way to determine if a coin is NT. >>

I think the implication here is that the cardboard in the L holder is doing the toning. Ell, the polyurethane ring in black ring or white ring airtites will impart a rose coloration to silver eagles.
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    I have a raw one that looks like that.
    one word

onion
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    No onion was used to make mine.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

NT all the way..."-)

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be just a bit straightforward . . .

These are just typical Eagles toned from the cheapy cardboard "Happy Birthday", "Happy Anniversary" inserts. Black inserts seem to do a better job. Depending upon temps and humidity, these will happen. I have a standing order to buy all I can at several shops . . . people walk in upset because their treasured coin has 'tarnished'. The dealer trades them out for a new one and I buy the toned for spot plus a couple bucks. Virtually every one has the exact same look . . . with the multitudes of experience here on the boards I imagine everyone has seen many of these. I like them!

AT, NT, whatever. It just happens to a lot of old ladies who have them in their sock drawers and they don't look at these boards. They are bullion. I am saddened that this one only sold for $25 . . . I thought (hoped) they might go for a bit more.

Sort of like the old MS70 - Indians threads. I looked at those and couldn't imagine who wouldn't see the MS70 look right off. I did that (sorry, never again) to the first brown common Indian I ever bought and got the same look. Then the AT/NT/Proof/doctored/non-doctored threads . . . like no one had ever seen a blue MS70ed (verb) Indian before???

OK . . . a rant. A paltry attempt at a comparison that probably went awry . . . back to The Practice.

Drunner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file