Home Metal Detecting
Options

Silver, gold, and a wheat crop... (some April stuff)

I couldn't keep up with you guys in the silver totals this month. (actually, now that the weather is nice, I probably won't be in the running for a few months) I try to get out during my lunch breaks and find a couple coins here and there... over 20 wheats and only a couple silvers this month ('46 and '48).

The man's bracelet was a surprise park find. It was near the surface and I didn't realize it would be something worth a little bit until I found the prices on-line (8" length, 5mm width, "Figaro" style, 10k = sells on-line for over $100). Of course I wouldn't get jeweler prices for it, but still a fun find.

group shot:

bracelet with marking:

happy hunting...

Comments

• Options
    Nice finds Rick!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Jerry,
    The bracelet is something typically found in your posts (jewelry, etc.) ... I'm not used to seeing these in my pouch. image
  • Options
    So now you're a jewerly hunter, huh? Nice haul there Rick.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Gary! I may target the jewelry a little more now that the ground is getting harder... makes going after the deep turf coins tougher. We'll see... I just don't have a "jewlery store" like you do though. image
  • Options
    Hey, what can I say? People want to drop their jewelry for me to find, more power to them. Melted down, it's all dinero in my book. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds... congrats... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I love those lawnmower clipped cents

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    Nice job!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice finds Rick.
    MMMmmm gold!
    Looks like someone did some work on the heart shaped wheat cent.
  • Options
    Thanks RickO and SilverDreams!

Gary- You have some loyal customers... so all you do is tell them to go to your jewelry shop, bring their best stuff, and leave it there for you? (still waiting for someone to leave you another big fat ring! image)

Musky 1011- Thanks. I like finding those clipped wheatbacks since they are usually deep in turf and tell me I was successful in picking off another deep old coin... even though it's mangled, it could've been something good. (but it'd sure be sad if one ends up being an '09-S vdb)

Tim - Thanks. I thought that heart shaped wheatback was interesting... pefectly shaped. When I dug it, I thought it was just an old piece of jewelry until I saw the "one cent." It has the crud/warts where the date should be so I still don't know how old it is. I'll let it soak so I might be able to get a date off of it...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Wheatie cut into a heart shape is supercool. A 20th century equivalent of a love token!

(At least, it looks like it is heart shaped, or is that just a shadow at the top?)

Three wounded Wheaties on the same site? I suspect the same perpetrator in all three cutting incidents. Those ain't lawnmower victims.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice work Rick!

I love the heart shaped wheatie!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Rob- Yes, it's heart-shaped. Just got me wondering... could a heart shaped coin be made for use as a guitar pick? (no clue but it sort of looks like one... except for the notch at the top)
  • Options
    Thanks John image
    (guess I'll need to do a close-up shot of that little guy)
  • Options
    Rick, funny you mentioned the thing about guitar picks and coins. I read somewhere that someone made a pick out of a coin. Hey, it'll work.

<< <i>You have some loyal customers... so all you do is tell them to go to your jewelry shop, bring their best stuff, and leave it there for you? (still waiting for someone to leave you another big fat ring! >>

You're so young Rick! I have this bridge that goes from Manhattan to Long Island... image

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Yeah, everyone is "youngster" to you Gary... (doh! image)

<< I have this bridge that goes from Manhattan to Long Island...>>

I thought Bugs Bunny bought it (or was he selling it too?) Phut would know... image
  • Options
    Wow! Found it...

Bugs sells the bridge...

Phut- did you know all of these are on the web now?!
  • Options

<< <i> Yeah, everyone is "youngster" to you Gary... >>

Loooooooooooowwwwww blooooooowwwwwww dude! image

That's the bridge! That's the one!

G.

imageimageimage
  • Options

• Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭

<< <i>Rick, funny you mentioned the thing about guitar picks and coins. I read somewhere that someone made a pick out of a coin. Hey, it'll work. >>

They sell them on eBay. I believe they are made from silver quarters. Just do a search...

Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    Thanks Dcamp-

Right now I see 10 for sale on ebay (interesting... even a half$):
    Coin Guitar Picks for sale

Also found this site that shows how to make them (coin example is on the bottom of the page):
    Handmade guitar picks from coins

• Options
    Your Rockin 'n Rollin Rick! Is that from the same orchard we hit before?

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Dcamp-

Right now I see 10 for sale on ebay (interesting... even a half$):
    Coin Guitar Picks for sale
    >>

Do you think those are AT or NT?

Just joking...
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    <<Your Rockin 'n Rollin Rick! Is that from the same orchard we hit before? >>

Thanks Agile-
    Not from there... that's one of the places that got shut down over the last year. image (lots of work going on in that park) But, the parks, schools, pkg strips around there hold some wheats and silver image

<<Do you think those are AT or NT?>>

Dcamp-
    Depends on who you're asking...
    just kidding!

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>actually, now that the weather is nice, I probably won't be in the running for a few months >>

Your detecting vs. weather pattern is the direct opposite of mine... image
    Then again, "nice weather" for me means that it isn't snowing and the ground isn't frozen... image

Great finds!
    That's a nice bracelet. That kind of thing can be an elusive find for a selective digger if it gives a "long" signal...

Edit: Those guitar pick coins look great. They can, however, take some getting used to - can easily break lots of strings...
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro