Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 1961 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on finishing off the '71s!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

This next one is one that I have debated with myself as to whether or not to include this type.

This is a 2017 Topps Stephen Piscotty, but there is a catch to this one....sort of.

I have thought about it and for right now it is staying in my collection. Technically, it is a 2017 Topps card. However, it is sort of a buyback type deal where Topps took a 2017 card and stamped it with the words "Topps Archives Signature Series 2018" and numbered it 29/97. It is not a reprint card. I can tell you that if it were a reprint I would reject it without a thought. I will say, however, that if I run across one that is not stamped, I will probably replace it. See, I am already contradicting myself and debating myself again!

The most important thing is that this card is from 2017 and not a reprint. It just has extra stuff on it.

The new total is 2,264.

Cardinals-Autographs-921

Shane

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Its a buy back from 2017 set

aren't a lot of cards you have in your collection buy backs of some sort? at least the ones you didn't get signed personally. someone else owned it, someone got it signed, somehow you tracked it down for your set. This one is just verified by topps as a true signed 2017 card that was produced, bought, bought again/back signed and then sold again. Yours just has a great provenance now, nice pick up

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

@baseballfan said:
    Its a buy back from 2017 set

aren't a lot of cards you have in your collection buy backs of some sort? at least the ones you didn't get signed personally. someone else owned it, someone got it signed, somehow you tracked it down for your set. This one is just verified by topps as a true signed 2017 card that was produced, bought, bought again/back signed and then sold again. Yours just has a great provenance now, nice pick up

Yes. However, the difference is in the fact that it was stamped and reinserted into packs. I guess I could look at the stamp the same way I look at a JSA sticker, which I have several. I hadn't thought of it in that way!

Thanks for the feedback!

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:
    This next one is one that I have debated with myself as to whether or not to include this type.

This is a 2017 Topps Stephen Piscotty, but there is a catch to this one....sort of.

I have thought about it and for right now it is staying in my collection. Technically, it is a 2017 Topps card. However, it is sort of a buyback type deal where Topps took a 2017 card and stamped it with the words "Topps Archives Signature Series 2018" and numbered it 29/97. It is not a reprint card. I can tell you that if it were a reprint I would reject it without a thought. I will say, however, that if I run across one that is not stamped, I will probably replace it. See, I am already contradicting myself and debating myself again!

The most important thing is that this card is from 2017 and not a reprint. It just has extra stuff on it.

The new total is 2,264.

Cardinals-Autographs-921

Hey Shane. I have the same quandry on a couple of mine from the Rookie Cup autos. I definitely count them as they are original cards from that year, just stamped, but if I get an opportunity and it's not expensive will try and pick up another one that's not stamped from a private signing or whatever. And that Ichiro/Pujols duo is one of the sickest cards I've seen in a long long time!!!! Congrats!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a Card- congrats. I had this feeling a Ken Boyer signature would be part of this- not to take anything away from Mays and Santo, but it seems Boyer really does not get the recognition he deserves. I like the Boyer cards and have been somewhat lucky finding the early topps cards

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    What a Card- congrats. I had this feeling a Ken Boyer signature would be part of this- not to take anything away from Mays and Santo, but it seems Boyer really does not get the recognition he deserves. I like the Boyer cards and have been somewhat lucky finding the early topps cards

I agree. I wonder if he shouldn't get consideration for the HOF and I am one that thinks there are too many "good" players and not "great" players. If you look at league leaders cards in the 1960s, Boyer seems to be on nearly every one possible! I know because of this autograph project. Boyer was an MVP, 11x all star, World Series Champ, and 5 time Gold Glover.

Shane

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for fun, I checked my 55 and 56 topps set- no 55 but I have both the 56 white and gray backs for Boyer.

HOF? I think he is worthy. I think I even posed that question on the Sports forum. The response was underwhelming which was unfortunate. As for third baseman, Stan Hack should get a second look as well

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I have added a few of the Archives buybacks to my trophy collection, but I actually prefer them. I like to know for certain, at least as certain as certain as I can be with faith in a big company telling me that, these were personally signed by the player.
    With all the potential fraud swirling around, it's nice to have piece of mind.

I even counted a few of those "Clearly" acetate cards that have a similar design to the Topps base sets. Of course, I have given up on completing that run, but will add them when I see them for decent prices. Even getting through a certain year is pointless w/o the Munson, the greatest trophy card ever made. if I ever were to land a Munson, I could see knocking out through 1999 to have a 40 year run.

@yankeesman said:

@frankhardy said:

The new total is 2,264.

Cardinals-Autographs-921

Hey Shane. I have the same quandry on a couple of mine from the Rookie Cup autos. I definitely count them as they are original cards from that year, just stamped, but if I get an opportunity and it's not expensive will try and pick up another one that's not stamped from a private signing or whatever. And that Ichiro/Pujols duo is one of the sickest cards I've seen in a long long time!!!! Congrats!!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@frankhardy said:
    Up next is one that has been surprisingly tough for me. Here is a 1969 Topps Bob Gibson All Star card. Gibson's signature is not all that rare, but since he passed away in 2020, the price has probably doubled on everything. Maybe more than that. For some reason I have never been able to grab one of these until recently.

This raises the total to 2,266.

Cardinals-Autographs-923

Love the red ink on the Gibson!

• Options

Here is my second Topps Archives Signature Series. Again...I debated with myself whether or not these type of cards should go into my collection. My auto collection has a few self imposed parameters....

• It must be a Cardinals player
    • It must be Topps (base or Traded / Update)
    • No parallels, inserts, or miscellaneous type of cards.
    • It must be authentic by either my opinion or TPG

Even though these cards fall into those parameters, these cards were re-inserted into packs and have a stamp on them. I have decided that since these are technically original cards and the stamp was produced afterwards, I have decided that they are acceptable in my collection.

Here is a 2004 Topps #710 Edgar Renteria Gold Glove Award Winner card. I am accepting these type of original cards mainly because some of these are so difficult to get otherwise.

The new total is now 2,267.

Cardinals-Autographs-924

Shane

• Options

Nice one! The Archives buy backs are growing on me.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 2:13PM

Up next is one that I could not find so I resorted to paying for a private signing at SCN. This is a 2003 Topps Traded Joe Girardi. Most remember him from the Yankees, but he had a brief stint with the Cardinals.

The new total is now 2,268.

Cardinals-Autographs-925

Shane

• Options
    edited February 26, 2023 2:29PM

Here is a 1969 Topps Dave Adlesh. Even though he passed away as recently as 2016, this card has been a difficult one for me to find. I have literally been looking for several years. He only had 3 Topps cards (1967, 1968, and 1969). He never even played for the Cardinals. The Cardinals acquired him from the Astros on October 11, 1968 and then traded him to Braves on March 25th, 1969. He never played for the Braves either with his last game being in 1969.

I only have one very tough one left to finish the 1969 set - Ron Willis, who passed away in 1977.

This one raises the total to 2,269.

Cardinals-Autographs-926

Shane

• Options

Here is my first one of this guy - a 2020 Topps Paul Goldschmidt. This is only my 3rd one past 2019, which is what I focus on. I happened to pick this one up on Ebay from a reputable seller for a really good price.

Total is now 2,271.

Cardinals-Autographs-928

Shane

• Options

This 2017 Topps Update Carlos Martinez AS comes from my regular source that I have been using for well over a year via Ebay and direct. Some of these specific newer cards are very hard to find signed even if the signature is NOT hard to find on other cards.

Total is now 2,272.

Cardinals-Autographs-929

Shane

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, seems like you picked up some toughies recently. Congrats!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Wow, seems like you picked up some toughies recently. Congrats!

Thank you! I definitely don't have any easy ones left. I only have super hard ones left, or some that are moderately difficult due to the signature being on a particular card. For example, Darrell Porter passed away a few years ago and has several autographs available. However, to find his signature on a 1981 Topps Traded is very difficult.

Other examples include needing 3 of the 4 1952 Topps high numbers. I have Wilmer Mizell, but Hal Rice (d. 1997), Les Fusselman (d. 1970), and Eddie Yuhas (d. 1986) are going to be next to impossible.

Shane

• Options

This one is another difficult one. Not because his signature is rare, but because it is hard to find signatures many times on specific league leaders cards.

Here is a 1963 Topps NL ERA League Leaders Bob Gibson.

Total is now 2,274.

Cardinals-Autographs-931

Shane

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shane,

Great score on an early Bob Gibson signature!!!

Congrats, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Shane---there is a variation of this card with no left border and messed up 1 in 1962. Hope that does not mean you need another card and signature :#

• Options

@agr said:
    Shane---there is a variation of this card with no left border and messed up 1 in 1962. Hope that does not mean you need another card and signature :#

Nope.... For my autos I only collect one version. I would go insane.

Now, for my regular team sets, I still need one with the left border missing. So... I go insane anyway!

Shane

• Options

These three are the result of a Jim Edmonds private signing facilitated from someone on SCN.

Here are the three -

2005 Topps #354 NLCS Game 7 featuring Jim Edmonds (along with Albert Pujols and the team celebrating)

2006 Topps #258 Jim Edmonds Gold Glove Award Winner

2006 Topps #UH197 WS Game 1 featuring Jim Edmonds (along with MV3 teammates Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen)

Those particular multiple player cards will be very difficult to get completed. Private signings happen occasionally, but it would be very expense, especially when I still have a few regular Pujols cards I need to get signed.

This is a slow process, but I am making some progress on the modern portion of my collection. The vintage portion is a slow go because the rest the I need are so rare.

The new total is now 2,277.

Cardinals-Autographs-932

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:
    These three are the result of a Jim Edmonds private signing facilitated from someone on SCN.

Here are the three -

2005 Topps #354 NLCS Game 7 featuring Jim Edmonds (along with Albert Pujols and the team celebrating)

2006 Topps #258 Jim Edmonds Gold Glove Award Winner

2006 Topps #UH197 WS Game 1 featuring Jim Edmonds (along with MV3 teammates Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen)

Those particular multiple player cards will be very difficult to get completed. Private signings happen occasionally, but it would be very expense, especially when I still have a few regular Pujols cards I need to get signed.

This is a slow process, but I am making some progress on the modern portion of my collection. The vintage portion is a slow go because the rest the I need are so rare.

The new total is now 2,277.

Cardinals-Autographs-932

Awesome Edmonds adds Shane! Loved watching that guy play.

• Options

Thanks again guys for popping in and taking a look.

I forgot to mention.... Those 3 finish up Jim Edmonds.

Shane

• Options

Your dedication is amazing. I don't think I could count the multi-player cards as anything other than bonus cards if I could get 1 or more signatures on them. Finding newer Topps cards signed these days seems to be harder. A lot of people it seems have switched to other sets (like Heritage for example).

I am happy when I can find some obscure guy than had 16 games with the Dodgers and 1 card, let alone getting the rest of the team set in any given year after the 80s, maybe 90s.

• Options

@mrmopar said:
    Your dedication is amazing. I don't think I could count the multi-player cards as anything other than bonus cards if I could get 1 or more signatures on them. Finding newer Topps cards signed these days seems to be harder. A lot of people it seems have switched to other sets (like Heritage for example).

I am happy when I can find some obscure guy than had 16 games with the Dodgers and 1 card, let alone getting the rest of the team set in any given year after the 80s, maybe 90s.

Thank you for the kind words, Mr Hardie!

Shane

• Options

This is the last one for a while. I have none left in the "hopper" like I almost always do.

Here is a 2017 Topps Update #US185 "Birds In The Garden" signed by Dexter Flower via a private signing organized by someone at SCN. This card features Randal Grichuk, Dexter Fowler, and Stephen Piscotty, although they are not named, thankfully. Because they are not named on the card, per my own "rules", I only need to get one Cardinals player, very preferably one of the players pictured because there are only three of them. If this card featured several from the team (say a gathering around the pitchers mound after a big win), I would only need one Cardinals player on that team regardless if he is clearly seen or not. If the players are named on the card, then I would need to get all players named. Some of these cards make it a little confusing.

That makes the total 2,278.....for now.

Cardinals-Autographs-933

Shane

• Options

Here is my latest acquisition. This is a 2008 Topps Yadier Molina.

Molina is very difficult to find on regular Topps cards. I remember in 2007 I was able to get his 2004 Topps rookie card signed TTM and was able to get his 2006 Topps TTM the next year in 2008. Both were during spring training.

This one raises the total to 2,279.

Cardinals-Autographs-934

Shane

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go, Shane. You are really moving along.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Loving the Edgar. Always thought he was a heck of a player.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yankeesman said:
    Loving the Edgar. Always thought he was a heck of a player.

Except when he got to the Red Sox!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Up next is a 2016 Topps #492 Cardinals "Many Healthy Returns" picturing Yadier Molina and Randal Grichuk. My self imposed standard states that if the player is not named but it "team themed" such as this card or a team card all I have to do is get a player pictured. This card here is signed by Randal Grichuk. It's a good thing I have that standard because I have enough Yadier Molina cards to go after as it is....this one would be one more almost impossible one.

Also, I must say this....what was Topps thinking on this card? This title of "Many Healthy Returns" makes no sense to me. Seems like they could have come up with another title for this card that would make sense. Anyway.....

This one raises the total to 2,283.

Cardinals-Autographs-937

Shane

• Options
    edited May 27, 2023 2:01PM

This next one is a very, very tough one to come by. This one is a 2002 Topps Traded Scott Rolen. Scott Rolen is a moderately tough autograph, but it can be had. He has not been signing much lately, but he had a private signing recently and I was able to participate. This was his first signing since becoming a HOF'er.

The toughest part about this one is the card itself. This card is a short print (SP). You wouldn't think this card would be that big of a deal, but it is a tough one to come by. If you find one (not Chrome and not the "gold" version), it will set you back $50 to $80 or somewhere in that neighborhood. I bought an extra one (in addition to my regular unsigned team set) several months ago just in case he had a private signing. The patience paid off! There can't be too many of these laying around!

The new total is 2,284.

Cardinals-Autographs-938

Shane

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    This next one is a very, very tough one to come by. This one is a 2002 Topps Traded Scott Rolen. Scott Rolen is a moderately tough autograph, but it can be had. He has not been signing much lately, but he had a private signing recently and I was able to participate. This was his first signing since becoming a HOF'er.

The toughest part about this one is the card itself. This card is a short print (SP). You wouldn't think this card would be that big of a deal, but it is a tough one to come by. If you find one (not Chrome and not the "gold" version), it will set you back $50 to $80 or somewhere in that neighborhood. I bought an extra one (in addition to my regular unsigned team set) several months ago just in case he had a private signing. The patience paid off! There can't be too many of these laying around!

The new total is 2,284.

Cardinals-Autographs-938

Way to hang in there!!!!!!!

Fabulous get!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

That Rolen will be one of those head scratchers for future generations, since that card really does not appear to be all that special. Someone will have one and think its a $10 card and someone with the right knowledge will be able to scoop up a bargain. Congrats.

• Options

@mrmopar said:
    That Rolen will be one of those head scratchers for future generations, since that card really does not appear to be all that special. Someone will have one and think its a $10 card and someone with the right knowledge will be able to scoop up a bargain. Congrats.

Agreed. If you look up a complete set of 2002 Topps Traded you will see that they are rather expensive. The prospects section of the set are commons yet the main cards are all short printed. Sets can sell for over $400.

Shane

• Options

At the same private signing above, I was able to get this 2006 Topps Scott Rolen signed. I was only able to afford 2 at the time because his price has went way up since his HOF election. There is another signing coming in a few weeks and should be able to get a couple of more.

The total is now 2,285.

Cardinals-Autographs-939

Shane

• Options

Nice Rolens!

• Options

Up next is an Ebay pickup. Here is a 2005 Topps Chris Carpenter Sporting News All Stars. I made a reasonable offer and it was accepted.

Total is now 2,286.

Cardinals-Autographs-940

Shane

• Options

This next one is a surprisingly tough one. This is a 1989 Topps Steve Lake. I was able to get a 1987 Topps and a 1988 Topps years ago from a large collection that I bought. Mr Lake has not signed autographs for very long time. Fortunately, I was able to get this one from a rare private signing coordinated by someone on SCN. I had to pay $40 for him to sign my 1989 Topps, but it was worth it to fill a hole.

This card finishes up my entire 1989 Topps team set. That makes me entirely complete from 1983 through 1991. If I could just get a 1979 Topps Roger Freed, a 1981 Topps Traded Darrell Porter, a 1982 Topps Darrell Porter, a 1982 Topps Joaquin Andujar, a 1982 Topps team leaders with Bob Forsch, and a 1982 Topps Darrell Porter In Action I would have 1970 through 1991 totally complete. And if I could get one common each year from 1992, 1993, 1994, and 1995, I would have all the way from 1970 through 1999. In short, I need 10 cards to be complete from 1970 through 1999.

Anyway, this one makes the total 2,287.

Cardinals-Autographs-941

Shane

• Options

I got a little ahead of myself in the last post saying that I had completed sets from 1970 - 1999 with the exception of 10 cards. I was already counting the card in this post.

Here is a 1986 Topps Darrell Porter. I got this from a reputable seller off of Ebay. It is personalized to "Jeff", but when you have been looking for a card like this since 2007 you take what you can get! Mr Porter passed away in 2002 tragically from a cocaine overdose. Mr Porter had become a Christian and had seemingly overcome his drug addiction. Sadly, he apparently had a relapse.

Being a Christian myself, I can personally testify that becoming a Christian doesn't make a person perfect in a sinless way. Anyone that accepts Jesus Christ as their Saviour still have struggles and battles with sin and different things. The difference is that Jesus paid for the penalty of that sin on the cross. He was able to do that because He is perfect and that sacrifice paid a ransom for anyone willing to accept that pardon. We may not be perfect, but God looks at us like we are perfect because our record is wiped clean! A true Christian may not be perfect or sinless, but that repentant heart is a changed heart that strives to be the kind of person God wants us to be, even though I fail miserably at it sometimes.

Anytime a player signs his name with a scripture verse, I try to quote it in the post. Darrel Porter signed Romans 10:9 below his name which says - "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

The new total is 2,288.

Cardinals-Autographs-942

Shane

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    I got a little ahead of myself in the last post saying that I had completed sets from 1970 - 1999 with the exception of 10 cards. I was already counting the card in this post.

Here is a 1986 Topps Darrell Porter. I got this from a reputable seller off of Ebay. It is personalized to "Jeff", but when you have been looking for a card like this since 2007 you take what you can get! Mr Porter passed away in 2002 tragically from a cocaine overdose. Mr Porter had become a Christian and had seemingly overcome his drug addiction. Sadly, he apparently had a relapse.

Being a Christian myself, I can personally testify that becoming a Christian doesn't make a person perfect in a sinless way. Anyone that accepts Jesus Christ as their Saviour still have struggles and battles with sin and different things. The difference is that Jesus paid for the penalty of that sin on the cross. He was able to do that because He is perfect and that sacrifice paid a ransom for anyone willing to accept that pardon. We may not be perfect, but God looks at us like we are perfect because our record is wiped clean! A true Christian may not be perfect or sinless, but that repentant heart is a changed heart that strives to be the kind of person God wants us to be, even though I fail miserably at it sometimes.

Anytime a player signs his name with a scripture verse, I try to quote it in the post. Darrel Porter signed Romans 10:9 below his name which says - "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

The new total is 2,288.

Cardinals-Autographs-942

Your philosophy here and with cards is a blessing!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.