Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 1961 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andujar was always one of my favorites, too. 😎

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really is amazing how much putting a 2 strike ball in play can change the outcome vs just standing there watching a called third strike go by like it's a babe in a bikini.

First day lesson in the Trouty 101 curriculum.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a custom Cardinal t-jersey with Andujar's name and number on the back. The looks people give me after they ask if that's for 'Joaquin Andujar' are priceless.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it Andujar or Soto that missed a postseason because he punched a fan (the electric type that cools a room not the type that cheers)?

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2024 4:03PM

Hints...

One of you guessed it... With a caveat (it will be a cut signature).

I already own every Topps Stan The Man Musial signed.

It is only Topps. I do have several vintage Bowman, and I would love to have signed Musial rookie but I do not as of yet. I am focused on 1952 - 2019 Topps.

Everything mentioned above I already own and have posted....except for one (and, of course, the plethora of Pujols LL, AS, and Misc cards of his in the Topps sets).

Shane

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to guess Curt Flood.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

Oh wow. After looking at the guesses boy I hope it's Rahjah!!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2024 6:51AM

@yankeesman said:
    I was going to guess Curt Flood.

@yankeesman said:
    Oh wow. After looking at the guesses boy I hope it's Rahjah!!!

Let's just say that I've got all of Curt Flood's. ;)

Shane

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 10:40AM

The "BEST POSSIBLE AUTO HEADED MY WAY" that I alluded to is in hand, but it is not time to post it yet because I always post in the order in which I receive.

This post is from a Scott Rolen private signing from someone at SCN. I have all of Rolen's regular Topps cards, but after this post I still need one more to have every single Topps Scott Rolen card signed in a Cardinals uniform.

From this private signing, I got three -

2005 Topps #346 2004 NL RBIs League Leaders Scott Rolen (w/ Pujols NOT signed)

2005 Topps #708 Scott Rolen Gold Glove Award Winner

2006 Topps Update #UH197 Postseason Highlights Scott Rolen (already signed by Jim Edmonds) (w/ Pujols NOT signed)

Like I said, I still need one more - a 2007 Topps #302 Gold Glove Scott Rolen.

Here are the 3 from this private signing -

This raises the total to 2,342.

Cardinals-Autographs-1006

Cardinals-Autographs-1007

Cardinals-Autographs-1008

Shane

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 10:39AM

This next one is NOT from a private signing, but is a Topps buyback where they stamp "Topps Archives Signature Series". Again, these are regular cards and not reprints. They just add the stamp and the player signs it. I decided a while back to include these as I could find them since they are original cards.

Here is a 2006 Topps Update #UH255 Scott Rolen All Star. I got this one just after I received the 3 above from the private signing. This card was going to be sent in on my next Scott Rolen private signing. Fortunately, I got it slightly cheaper than a private signing would cost. Plus, this one is labeled 1/1, whatever significance that means. That means, (as I stated in the above post), I only need a 2007 Topps #302 Gold Glove Scott Rolen to have all of Rolen's Topps Cardinals cards signed.

Up next is my "BEST POSSIBLE AUTO".

Here is number 2,343.

Cardinals-Autographs-1009

Shane

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

Are you going to try to get Pujols on those two, as well?

• Options

@GDM67 said:
    Are you going to try to get Pujols on those two, as well?

Yes, but it will be tough. I have only participated in one Pujols private signing back in December 2022 and that's the last one I've seen. Plus, it's cost was $349 per auto. I sent a 2004 Topps and got it signed. I still have a couple of regular Topps cards to get first. It is going to take a lot of years and a lot of expense to get all of his.

Shane

• Options

Whoa. Sweet pick up.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup, Shane!!!

The Rogers Hornsby signature looks amazing and you did a great job getting it on the card, just right.

Congrats on a major pickup for your auto set.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Very Nice!!

congrats !!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats - that looks absolutely incredible. I am a huge fan of the ‘61 Baseball Thrills and love the Hornsby. The way you worked the signature around the players looks great. Definitely one to be proud of.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 2:08PM

These are the only two Cardinals autographs I have are on this photo (nothing on cards) - The picture is from the 1939 season Lon Warneke, Mickey Owen and the other who did not sign I believe is Joe Medwick- Triple Crown Winner in 1937

Great Hornsby signature

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited February 10, 2024 4:43PM

Thanks, guys! I did my best with it. On to another tough one....

@coinkat,

I actually have a few Joe Medwick signatures from a random collection I bought years ago. I was able to get in on a few of the "Uncle Jimmy" auctions and was able to snag a few. Obviously there are no Topps cards, but these are in my Misc Cardinals Autographs album.

Shane

• Options

Amazing Hornsby auto!!!! congrats!!!

• Options

great accomplishment on the 55 Set!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options

I have another difficult one to post today. Ken Boyer's autographed cards are findable, even though they can be fairly expensive. He passed away in 1982. However, what makes this one so difficult is that this is a 1959 Topps high number. So, until I can find an "on card" example, I felt it was worth it to make me a cut signature example.

Here is a 1959 Topps Ken Boyer All Star (high number) with a cut signature.

Before and after pictures are below.

The total is now 2,346.

Cardinals-Autographs-1015

Cardinals-Autographs-1016

Cardinals-Autographs-1017

Shane

• Options

Nice Boyer! I met his brother Clete at a show in Atlanta and one of the nicest people I'd ever been around. Very cool.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

I love viewing the collection and I won't say I have not thought about the cut on card idea, but I just couldn't do it, especially if I had to trim the autos down as tight as you have in some cases. I wouldn't be opposed to buying them if already assembled, but I just couldn't cut down the signature myself. That Hornsby kind of made me a little sad to be honest with you. I don't want to pee on your parade though. Everyone collects the way it makes them the most happy and you are doing your thing! Congrats on the latest pick-ups.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@mrmopar said:
    I love viewing the collection and I won't say I have not thought about the cut on card idea, but I just couldn't do it, especially if I had to trim the autos down as tight as you have in some cases. I wouldn't be opposed to buying them if already assembled, but I just couldn't cut down the signature myself. That Hornsby kind of made me a little sad to be honest with you. I don't want to pee on your parade though. Everyone collects the way it makes them the most happy and you are doing your thing! Congrats on the latest pick-ups.

I do not take that in a negative way at all. I figured someone would say something like that before now and I'm surprised that you are the first. I get it. I totally do. However I do not think it is even close to doing something like cutting up a Babe Ruth bat and putting it on a card. That is something that I cringe at. Even if this was cut from a historical letter that he wrote to someone, I don't think I could have cut his signature out of a document like that. But this was just an index card with nothing wasted. I guess it could be argued that the backside of the recipient's address and the postage stamp on the back has some significance. That's why I always keep everything that I wasted. I have a spot for everything that I have cut out and wasted.

In other words, what I am wasting is blank white index card material that has nothing to do with the signature. I still have what is most valuable. That was my reasoning behind it. And because my goal is total completion of a certain select brand with an end in sight, i felt like this was the only way to achieve it for now. If I just collected Cardinals autographs in general I would not have done this.

Shane

• Options

I just received a really tough one. Here is a 2016 Topps Yadier Molina authenticated by PSA/DNA.

This one totally completes my 2016 Topps Cardinals signed team set. This is the most modern complete set I have accomplished. Previous to this one is 2002 Topps.

The total is now 2,347.

Cardinals-Autographs-1018

Shane

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shane,

Some nice scores recently. I think you are doing a nice job with the cut signatures.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

Wow. What a blast from the past. I went to my first Cardinal game in 1963. I actually got to see Stan in his last year of playing. I was 8 - 9 that summer. I've been a fan every since. I didn't get through all 29 pages but what a great collection. I watched them all on the great teams of the 60s. Suffered through the 70s. Then Whitey ball of the 80s. I watch Ken Oberkfell play with the AAA Springfield Redbirds, along with Tom Herr and Terry Kennedy. What a time. Thanks for taking the time to post these.
    Dave

• Options

@coinnerd said:
    Wow. What a blast from the past. I went to my first Cardinal game in 1963. I actually got to see Stan in his last year of playing. I was 8 - 9 that summer. I've been a fan every since. I didn't get through all 29 pages but what a great collection. I watched them all on the great teams of the 60s. Suffered through the 70s. Then Whitey ball of the 80s. I watch Ken Oberkfell play with the AAA Springfield Redbirds, along with Tom Herr and Terry Kennedy. What a time. Thanks for taking the time to post these.
    Dave

Thanks for the kind words. Take some time and go through them all! Glad you liked!

Shane

• Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

I think you missed a golden opportunity. When your son was about nine or so you should have taken him to spring training loaded with cards. Mr Molina, your my favorite player would you sign my cards. Gee Mr Wainright your my favorite player ....
    :) Players of all sports are suckers for kids.
    I always liked the Ucher cards. His pictures look like he is laughing and there is a joke on you somewhere and you haven't got it yet.

• Options

@frankhardy said:

@coinnerd said:
    Dave

Thanks for the kind words. Take some time and go through them all! Glad you liked!

So, how do you store these at your house? Do you have them all out in a room, some on display, all in boxes or what? Do you organize them by year, player or what?

Just curious and fascinated by how you keep them.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:

@frankhardy said:

@coinnerd said:
    Dave

So, how do you store these at your house? Do you have them all out in a room, some on display, all in boxes or what? Do you organize them by year, player or what?

Just curious and fascinated by how you keep them.

I keep them in three albums stored on a bookshelf in my bedroom with my regular Cardinals team sets. That's 30 albums total. For Topps Autographs I have an album for 1952 through 1973, another album from 1974 through 1999, and another albums from 2000 to present.

20240228-090729

20240228-090738

Shane

• Options

That is very organized and a nice way to keep them. I guess you need to be considering the numbers you're storing. I think I'd find myself flipping through those all the time.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2024 12:40PM

@BBBrkrr said:
    That is very organized and a nice way to keep them. I guess you need to be considering the numbers you're storing. I think I'd find myself flipping through those all the time.

Another thing to keep in mind, since it has been a while since I have said this.....I always bust out any slabbed autos in order to put them in my album. I keep the label/flip, put the card in a penny sleeve, tape the label/flip to neatly to the back of the penny sleeve, and then put the card in the album. The only 2 cards that I have not done that to is a 2001 Topps Traded Albert Pujols (BGS/JSA slab), and 2001 Topps Traded Pujols ROY (w/ Ichiro; signed by both; BAS slab). I have those on my desk. I do have a duplicate unauthenticated (and smeared) 2001 Topps Traded Albert Pujols in my album. I have studied it enough to know it is authentic. I sits nicely in my album so I can display the one pictured below.

Picture below along with my rookie year (2001 Spring Training) and second year (2002) signed Albert Pujols baseballs (with others on the team).

20240228_133410

Shane

• Options

Those early Pujols autos are amazing.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

Love love love the Hornsby!!!

Congrats!!!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:
    Love love love the Hornsby!!!

Congrats!!!!!!

My sincere thanks! It's one of my favorites too!

Shane

• Options
    Chargers49ersLakersChargers49ersLakers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2024 7:50AM

hey frankhardy! i have another cards ball to show you! it's one of the strongest bold auto's i have seen yet! will send to psa/dna someday. 1952 Cards.

• Options
    edited March 9, 2024 1:01PM

@Chargers49ersLakers Wow! That is some kind of a nice ball! Les Fusselman passed away in 1971, I believe. There are some rare signatures you have there!

Edited to say - Fusselman died in 1970.

Shane

• Options

Great looking baseball there!!

Fred

• Options
    edited March 9, 2024 1:10PM

This one doesn't look like that big of a deal, but it is much, much bigger than it appears. There are 3 minor league cards signed by this guy on Ebay right now. I have been looking for this card for years and years. I think this is his only Topps card, so finding it signed has definitely been a challenge.

This is a 2004 Topps Traded Benji DeQuin. As long as I have searched for this card, when it came up for auction, I put my max bid WAY, WAY, up there to make sure I got it. Fortunately, I paid $5.29 including shipping and sales tax!

The new total is 2,348.

Cardinals-Autographs-1019

Shane

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 1:51PM

Up next is another tough one that has taken me years to find. At this point, as far along as I am, they are all going to be that way. I already had this card signed by Lindy McDaniel but since Larry Jackson passed away in 1990, I knew this was going to be a tough one. I would have taken two cards signed by each, but I was fortunate enough to find one with both signatures. I already had one signed by Lindy McDaniel so since I had already counted that one this card only adds one signature to the total.

Ironically there is a similar card in 1961 Topps and I already have one signed by both.

I am very glad to get this one out of the way.

The total is now 2,349.

Cardinals-Autographs-1020

Shane

• Options
    edited March 20, 2024 8:14AM

Here is another tough one that I had too resort to settling for a cut signature. This one is a high number card, Plus he died way back in 1977.

This is a 1967 Topps Ron Willis. The cut signature is from a PSA/DNA slabbed index card. The cut signature had its challenges getting it to fit like I wanted it to fit. However, I believe it worked out to my satisfaction.

This one totally completes my 1967 Topps Cardinals signed team set.

Below are before and after pictures.

Total is now 2,350.

Cardinals-Autographs-1021

Cardinals-Autographs-1022

Shane

• Options
    edited March 25, 2024 4:38PM

This is one confuses me more than any that I have tried for in a long time. This one should be simple. There are several Rene Arocha signed cards on Ebay, but I have looked for years for a 1995 Topps and have never been able to locate one.

So, of course, I did the next best thing and bought a signed index card for less than a combo meal at a cheap fast food restaurant. I think it turned out beautifully. Of course, an on card signature is still on my search list, and I would predict that this one will be the first of these cut signatures that I will replace. Maybe not, but probably. Anyway, it was so inexpensive that I went this route for now and I think it looks great.

Edited to say - after posting and after saying, "I think it looks great", I noticed what looks like a smudge or possibly where the glue had not dried yet in the loop of the "R" at the start of his signature. I picked up the card and didn't see it with the naked eye, so I rescanned it....and it still shows up. I then thought that it might be his red shoe "shining through", but the positioning doesn't line up. Now, I believe it may be a clump of glue. Believe me when I say that this does not show up with the naked eye. I guess the scanner exposes it and it doesn't look great. It does look great in person, though.

Here is a 1995 Topps Rene Arocha.

This completes my signed 1995 Topps Cardinals team set. Also, it completes an entire album! I have 3 albums. One for 1952 - 1974. The second is 1974 - 1999. The third is 2000 - present (2019 mostly, but a couple afterwards). This Arocha completes the ENTIRE second album from 1974 - 1999!

It also totally completes signed team sets from 1966 - 2002! I never dreamed that would be possible!

The new total is 2,351.

Cardinals-Autographs-1023

Cardinals-Autographs-1024

Shane

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you not get a recent address or get the team to help you
    out on this. Maybe the Giants could help.

"So, of course, I did the next best thing and bought a signed index card for less than a combo meal at a cheap fast food restaurant. "
    Inflation not an issue in your area? ;)

• Options

@Tibor said:
    Could you not get a recent address or get the team to help you
    out on this. Maybe the Giants could help.

"So, of course, I did the next best thing and bought a signed index card for less than a combo meal at a cheap fast food restaurant. "
    Inflation not an issue in your area? ;)

I look on SCN constantly for private signings. He does not sign TTM....Zero percent in the sites history.

Inflation? Yes! Cheap is a relative term. I paid $6.88 for the index card. I did say LESS THAN a combo meal at a cheap fast food restaurant!

Shane

• Options

Congratulations on the accomplishment Shane! That's an incredible run of cards to have completed. There are so many like the Arocha that are "minor" names in the footnotes of MLB but are particularly tough as we both know when it comes to collecting a run of something.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

This collection looks like the kind of thing that should someday be in the St Louis Cardinals official museum!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

Great accomplishment, congrats

fun to watch it take place

Fred