Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Topps Cardinals Autograph Collection (1952 - 1964; 1966 - 2002 Topps totally complete!)

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2022 3:17PM

Trying to get caught up....

Here are two more. 1996 Topps Tom Pagnozzi and 2008 Topps Joe Mather.

Total is now 1,563.

Cardinals-Autographs-642

Shane

• Options

Up next is rising star Tyler O'Neill. This 2019 Topps is his second year card. This card was signed in September 2019 in Phoenix when the Cardinals were playing Arizona.

Total is now 1,564.

Cardinals-Autographs-643

Shane

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love this thread and O’Neill is a stud!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Love this thread and O’Neill is a stud!

Thanks! Glad you do!

Shane

• Options

Up next is one that I have been needing for a good long while. Got this one from a Cardinals collector who is liquidating his collection. Here is a 1959 Topps Ken Boyer.

Total is now 1,565.

Cardinals-Autographs-644

Shane

• Options
    edited January 14, 2022 3:18PM

Up next is a 2003 Topps 02 NLDS Game 1 card featuring Jim Edmonds. This card is part of the regular set and my team set so It goes in the auto collection. Jim Edmonds was so clutch for the Cardinals in the early 2000's.

Total is now 1,566.

Cardinals-Autographs-645

Shane

• Options

On to the next one. This one is kind of special because it completes a full 1984 Topps Cardinals team set all signed. I have been looking for this one for a few years - a 1984 Topps Bob Forsch HL.

Total is now 1,567.

Cardinals-Autographs-646

Shane

• Options

One more tonight. This one is kind of unique in this 1978 Topps Darrell Johnson features him as the Mariner's manager. However, it shows him during his playing career with the Cardinals. So, of course, it is in my regular team set and, therefore, it needs to be in my signed team set.

Total is now 1,568.

Cardinals-Autographs-647

Shane

• Options

Trying to get caught up....I'm going to add 7 more with this post.

1970 Topps Jose Cardenal

1961 Topps ERA LL Ernie Broglio (d. 2019)

1965 Topps Pitching LL Ray Sadecki (d. 2014)

1966 Topps Rookie Stars signed by both Dennis Aust & Bob Tolan. I already had one signed by Aust. This card will only add one to the total for Tolan.

1971 Topps Nelson Briles (d. 2005)

1981 Topps Traded Sixto Lezcano

1977 Topps Pete Falcone

The total is now 1,575.

Cardinals-Autographs-648

Cardinals-Autographs-649

Cardinals-Autographs-650

Cardinals-Autographs-651

Cardinals-Autographs-652

Cardinals-Autographs-653

Cardinals-Autographs-654

Shane

• Options

Up next is a rookie card of a new HOF'er. I have to admit, I never thought he should be in the HOF....that is until recently. When I kept hearing about his offensive numbers in comparison to other HOF catchers, he is simply one of the best hitting catchers in history. When he retired, he arguably was the 7th or 8th hitting catcher of all time. Now, he might be 10th or 11th according to some. Regardless...he is in the HOF now. I truly enjoyed his well worded HOF speech a few months ago. A true class act.

Total is now 1,576.

Cardinals-Autographs-655

Shane

• Options

Up next is a 1980 Topps Batting League Leaders card of Keith Hernandez. As a bonus, it is also signed by Fred Lynn. If you will notice, I am focusing on several cards of this type. It is getting harder and harder to find signed cards from regular Topps sets that I don't have.

Total is now 1,577.

Cardinals-Autographs-656

Shane

• Options
    edited January 14, 2022 3:19PM

Up next is a 1979 Topps Bob Forsch. Mr Forsch passed away in 2011. Many times he personalized his signatures as he did here. I am closing in on completion for 1979.

Total is now 1,578.

Cardinals-Autographs-657

Shane

• Options

Adding 8 more here in this post.

2001 Topps Eli Marrero

2001 Topps Bobby Bonilla (longer signature, unlike usual "BO")

2002 Topps Mike Matthews

2002 Topps Bud Smith

2002 Topps Bud Smith HL

2002 Topps Traded Jimmy Journell

2002 Topps Traded Clint Weibl

2002 Topps Traded Scotty Layfield

Total is now 1,586.

Cardinals-Autographs-658

Cardinals-Autographs-659

Shane

• Options

I am posting this one by itself because this one is so unique. This is a 1988 Topps Doug DeCinces. I have this in my Cardinals team sets. He is in an Angels uniform....and it says "Angels" at the top. But on the left side of the card is says "NOW WITH CARDINALS". This makes me wonder why they didn't just airbrush a Cardinals logo and put Cardinals at the top? He played in 4 games in 1987 for the Cardinals and did not even play in 1988. He hit .222 with 2 doubles and an RBI in his Cardinals career. Anyway, here it is.

Total is now 1,587.

Cardinals-Autographs-660

Shane

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭

that DeCinces looked like an OPC card at first glance; I think he actually ended up playing in Japan in '88

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

@Ironmanfan said:
    that DeCinces looked like an OPC card at first glance; I think he actually ended up playing in Japan in '88

IMF

I didn't realize he played in Japan. I agree...OPC did that a lot.

Shane

• Options

Up next is a couple of HOF'ers on the same card, but only one will be added to the count because only one is a Cardinal. Here we have 2 of the best relievers in history - 1982 Topps Leading Relievers signed by Bruce Sutter. As a bonus, it is also signed by Rollie Fingers. This one comes from one of my main sources. He holds private signings and has been a great source through the years.

I just found out a few days ago that Rollie Fingers was traded from the Padres to the Cardinals in 1981. Whitey Herzog was the general manager and made the trade. For just a few days the Cardinals had both on the roster. However, Fingers was soon traded to the Brewers without ever playing a game for the Red Birds. Who knew!

Total is now 1,589.

Edited to say - today I discovered an error in the post from 7/2/2011. I discovered that when I received a TTM 1971 Topps from Vic Davalillo that took 968 days, I added that one to the count and I shouldn't have because I already had one from a few months earlier when I bought a mega autograph deal. I will correct the count going forward.

Total is now 1,587 (to the best of my knowledge)

Cardinals-Autographs-661

Shane

• Options
    edited January 14, 2022 3:20PM

I started out this collection doing through the mail (TTM) autographs. It was such a thrill to go to the mailbox everyday to see if any autographs arrived. As I began to exhaust almost every possibility, I began searching for my collection on Ebay and other places, being very careful not to get ripped off by forgeries. I have learned a lot, and I am very proud of the collection I have acquired up to this point.

I said that to say.... a few weeks ago the TTM bug hit me again. I joined back up with sportcollectors.net (SCN) and started researching who might sign TTM. Newer players retire and start signing like the older players did. Older players that didn't ever sign might change their mind. Older and newer players may sign for a fee, which is something I very rarely followed through with.

In the last few weeks I have sent out cards to 15 different former Cardinals players, all of whom are very, very difficult to get TTM. I have a little trick that I used in the past to get Red Schoendienst to sign a good many cards. I used it again, and sure enough, it has worked a few times so far.

So....for the first time in over a decade, I present to you another TTM autograph.

I have almost every Tim McCarver card signed, but never got any TTM. Tim McCarver will now sign TTM for $10 per card. So, I sent him $20 and got a 1965 Topps WS Game 5 card signed, which I needed for my collection. I also had an extra 1962 Topps rookie card so I sent it as well. They turned out beautifully. I got them back in 11 days.

The rookie card will not add to the total. Even though I got it myself, it will not go into my main collection because the one already in my collection is a vintage pen signature most likely from the 1960s. Plus, it is PSA/DNA.

More TTM coming soon.

With the addition of the 1965 Topps WS Game 5 card, this raises the total to 1,588.

Cardinals-Autographs-662

Shane

• Options

Up next is my 2nd TTM in 11 years. I was a little bit hesitant about sending this card because it is a 1966 Topps high number and it was already signed by George Kernek. I decided to send to Jimy Williams because his return percentage was high. Sure enough, I got it back in 11 days. Unfortunately, Joe Hoerner passed away in 1996. The only way I can complete the set is to buy one with just his signature or to buy another one with all three.

I am very glad to get this one back.

Total is now 1,589.

Cardinals-Autographs-663

Shane

• Options

Up next is a couple of 1980 Topps Highlights cards - Lou Brock and Garry Templeton. Lou Brock retired after the 1979 season and had a Topps card in 1979, which was his last regular card. Brock ended up with 21 stolen bases in his final season and batted .304 in 120 games.

These 2 raise the total to 1,591.

Cardinals-Autographs-664

Shane

• Options
    edited August 29, 2022 7:57AM

This guy need no introduction. This is a 1990 Topps Ozzie Smith. My Ozzie Smith run is almost complete.

Total is now 1,592.

Cardinals-Autographs-665

Shane

• Options

This next one is very unique. This 1981 Topps John Littlefield is an uncorrected error. The picture is not of John Littlefield. Pictured here is Mark Riggins....who never appeared in a major league game. Mark Riggins is the current coach for Murray State University, which is about a 50 minute drive from my house.

John LIttlefield, from what I can gather, will not sign the front of this card because the picture is not him. I have only seen one signed and it was signed on the back. So, I sent this card to Mark Riggins and got it back in 8 days. I have sent an unsigned one to John LIttlefield with a note on the mailer asking to sign for a Cardinals collection. If he does, I will send another to Mark Riggins with the goal of having both signatures on one card. No luck yet. I actually got 2 signed by Mark Riggins. In a few days, I am going to send another one already signed by Riggins to John LIttlefield hoping I can get one of them back. I'm kind of working both directions with the goal of having both signatures on the front. If he only signs the back, that will be fine with me.

Total is now 1,593.

Cardinals-Autographs-666

Shane

• Options
    edited January 14, 2022 3:21PM

Posting 6 more tonight.

1982 Topps Doug Bair

1990 Topps Traded John Tudor

1991 Topps Terry Pendleton

1993 Topps Craig Wilson

1996 Topps Steve Montgomery

1996 Topps Brian Barber

Total is now 1,599.

Cardinals-Autographs-667

Cardinals-Autographs-668

Shane

• Options

Up next just adds one to the count. I already have this 1982 Topps Future Stars card signed by Brummer and Roof. I was able to pick this one up signed by all three, including Luis De Leon, who is a really tough signature.

Total is now 1,600.

Cardinals-Autographs-669

Shane

• Options

Here is a 1985 Topps Ozzie Smith AS authenticated and slabbed by Beckett.

Total is now 1,601.

Cardinals-Autographs-670

Shane

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Shane. How do you organize your personal collection? By year? By player? Signed cards vs those waiting to be auto’d?

• Options
    edited November 15, 2021 9:57AM

@GreenSneakers said:
    Hey Shane. How do you organize your personal collection? By year? By player? Signed cards vs those waiting to be auto’d?

I have 2 albums for autos. First one is 1952 - 1974. Second is 1975 to present. My albums are busting at the seams so I am going to have to make a third album fairly soon. Within those album I organize the teams sets by year and number. If I send cards TTM I have probably 7,000+ Topps Cardinals cards that are duplicates and separate from my regular unsigned teams sets from 1952 to present that I pull from to send out.

My regular unsigned teams are contained in 26 albums.

Shane

• Options

Up next is a 2005 Topps Chris Carpenter. He won the Cy Young Award that year. In my opinion, when he was healthy, he was as dominant of a pitcher that you will ever see.

Total is now 1,602.

Cardinals-Autographs-671

Shane

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! I live in NH these days, where Carpenter is from. I collect his autos and have about 20 signed cards. If you have any spare signed cards of him, please let me know. Definitely interested.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Awesome! I live in NH these days, where Carpenter is from. I collect his autos and have about 20 signed cards. If you have any spare signed cards of him, please let me know. Definitely interested.

I certainly would, but I don't think I have any extras.

Shane

• Options
    edited January 14, 2022 3:22PM

Up next is my first of this player. Here is a 1998 and 1999 Topps Ron Gant. He had tremendous power and was really good for the Cardinals on those late 90s teams.

Total is now 1,604.

Edited to say that in January of 2022 I received these 2 cards TTM from Mr Gant and replaced these.

Cardinals-Autographs-672

Shane

• Options
    edited January 14, 2022 3:22PM

Here is 10 more to add tonight.

1991 Topps Milt Thompson

1992 Topps Milt Thompson

1992 Topps Allen Watson

2005 Topps Update Chris Lambert

2008 Topps Rico Washington

2009 Topps Joe Mather

2009 Topps Update Joe Thurston

1989 Topps Steve Peters

1991 Topps Todd Zeile

1995 Topps Rich Rodriguez

Total is now 1,614.

Cardinals-Autographs-673

Cardinals-Autographs-674

Cardinals-Autographs-675

Shane

• Options
    edited January 14, 2022 3:23PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

Up next is a 1992 Topps Ozzie Smith. I am closing in on every Topps Ozzie Smith signed card in a Cardinals uniform.

Total is now 1,615.

Cardinals-Autographs-676

Shane

• Options

Up next, I suppose, is the largest run from one year that I have gotten at one time. I am adding 31 from the 2012 Topps set. These came from a collector named Weston who collected a very near complete signed 2012 Topps set. He went to Spring Training, paid for signings, was at hotels before and after games in Milwaukee, etc.

I already had 5 cards from 2012, including the regular David Freese that I do not show here and have already been counted.

The Albert Pujols championship trophy card is personalized to Weston, the guy that acquired them all. The David Freese World Series card show my favorite baseball moment of my lifetime. This signed card showing Freese headed home in Game 6 is one of the neatest cards in my collection!

Total is now 1,646.

Cardinals-Autographs-677

Cardinals-Autographs-678

Cardinals-Autographs-679

Cardinals-Autographs-680

Cardinals-Autographs-681

Cardinals-Autographs-682

Cardinals-Autographs-683

Cardinals-Autographs-684

Cardinals-Autographs-685

Cardinals-Autographs-686

Cardinals-Autographs-687

Cardinals-Autographs-688

Cardinals-Autographs-689

Shane

• Options

Just for record keeping purposes only....

I was looking through my album to reorganize this morning. My 2 albums are busting at the seems. I now have three albums. Album one contains 1952 - 1973. Album 2 contains 1974 - 1999. Album 3 contains 2000 - present.

When I was reorganizing, I noticed that I have a 1974 Topps Red Shoendienst coaches card that is single signed that I sent TTM, and I also have a multi-signed by all 5, including George Kissell. I bought it with 4 signatures, then had Vern Benson sign TTM to complete it. Anyway, they were sitting side by side in my album and I noticed that this is the only card that I have done this way. I decided to be consistent and take out the single signed Shoendienst. I researched this out and I discovered that I had added the Schoendienst signature on the multi-signed card. I should have taken out the single signed card and not added one to the count. Instead I added the second Schoendienst signature to the collection and the count. I have now taken the single signed card out.

I subtracted this now and the new total is changed to 1,645.

Shane

• Options
    edited January 14, 2022 3:24PM

Up next is a 1991 Topps Tom Pagnozzi. He rarely signs TTM so I had to pick this one up on the bay.

Total is now back to 1,646.

Cardinals-Autographs-690

Shane

• Options

Excited to get another TTM back. I sent these to Mr Jim Kaat with his fee of $10 each and got them back in 10 days.

Here is a 1982 Topps Jim Kaat and a 1983 Topps Jim Kaat Super Vet.

Total is now 1,648.

Cardinals-Autographs-691

Shane

• Options

And here we have another TTM success - 1981 and 1982 Topps Silvio Martinez. Mr Silvio Martinez sent these back in 10 days. He apparently does not like to sign because he sent a note asking not to send anymore. I had let him know that this was for a Cardinals project so I believe that helped my cause.

Total is now 1,650.

Cardinals-Autographs-692

Shane

• Options

Starting with this card, I have found a great source for my harder to find Cardinals autographs. A collector is liquidating his Cardinals autograph collection and our paths have crossed. I had bought a few items from him on Ebay. I got in touch with him on another forum and he has stopped selling on Ebay for the rest of the year, but has agreed to sell me a few things each week. I am in regular contact with him and will have some really nice things coming. We are basically going in chronological order.

To start off with, I have purchased a 1961 Topps Larry Jackson. He served 4 terms in the Idaho state house of representatives and actually ran for governor as a Repulican in Idaho in 1978. Mr Jackson passed away in 1990.

Total is now 1,651.

Cardinals-Autographs-693

Shane

• Options

Up next is another from my new source. Here is a couple of 1961 Topps League Leaders featuring Ernie Broglio. Mr Broglio passed away in 2019. I was able to get many signatures from him TTM. Back then I wasn't focused very much on league leader cards and the like. Now that I am trying to get everything I regret not trying to get them back then.

Here is a 1961 Topps Pitching Leaders and a 1961 Topps Strikeout Leaders both signed by Brolio.

Total is now 1,652.

Cardinals-Autographs-694

Shane

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

I do enjoy your updates. I just love signed cards period, especially vintage, but a dedicated team collector is a special thing as well. I have found that most of what I buy now is signed. I just don't have the same joy for most things w/o a signature on them. I do still love oddball, even unsigned, but signatures are the next level I need now days.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

Someone shared a 1981 D card on facebook with that same note. It's nice that he still signs the cards at least. makes me wonder if he tracks who sends stuff and will refuse repeat requests, or if he is just sending that note with every single request in hopes that his mail will decrease over time.

He isn't exactly a household name. i wonder how many pieces of mail he gets a week?

@frankhardy said:
    And here we have another TTM success - 1981 and 1982 Topps Silvio Martinez. Mr Silvio Martinez sent these back in 10 days. He apparently does not like to sign because he sent a note asking not to send anymore. I had let him know that this was for a Cardinals project so I believe that helped my cause.

Total is now 1,651.

Cardinals-Autographs-692

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2021 7:34PM

@mrmopar said:
    I do enjoy your updates. I just love signed cards period, especially vintage, but a dedicated team collector is a special thing as well. I have found that most of what I buy now is signed. I just don't have the same joy for most things w/o a signature on them. I do still love oddball, even unsigned, but signatures are the next level I need now days.

I agree about signed vintage. Since I finished my Topps set run from 1953 to present and my unsigned Cardinals team sets are at a standstill, my auto project is my main focus now. I still enjoy it like I did when I first started. Thanks for the comment!

Shane

• Options
    edited January 14, 2022 3:25PM

Up next is another card from my new source. This is a 1961 Topps Ken Boyer All Star. This card is a high number, which makes it more difficult to find signed. Mr Boyer passed away in 1982.

Total is now 1,653.

Cardinals-Autographs-695

Shane

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

as always, a great thread

looks like we'll see some great cards from the new connection

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

Up next is a 1970 Topps Cookie Rojas. I am closing in on a complete 1970 team set. I only need Joe Hague (d. 1994) and a 3 player rookie stars card (Campisi / Cleveland / Guzman) to have the complete Cardinals set.

Total is now up to 1,654.

Cardinals-Autographs-696

Shane

• Options

@baseballfan said:

Thank you, Fred, as always! Glad a few of you guys took a look every now and then.

Shane

• Options

This next one is another TTM - a 1964 Topps Batting LL signed by Dick Groat. Mr Groat has always been a consistent signer. Back when I started TTM I just didn't focus on league leader cards. Now I am trying to fill in those holes by buying them up when I can. This one was a no brainer when I started back TTM a few weeks ago.

Total is now 1,655.

Cardinals-Autographs-697

Shane

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:

@baseballfan said:

Thank you, Fred, as always! Glad a few of you guys took a look every now and then.

I always keep up, love seeing the cards

its encouragement for me to start a signed Orioles project. I just don't have the time/resources to do so yet, but love seeing your progress

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

@baseballfan said:

@frankhardy said:

@baseballfan said:

I always keep up, love seeing the cards

its encouragement for me to start a signed Orioles project. I just don't have the time/resources to do so yet, but love seeing your progress

You like the wrong color of birds!

😉😁

Shane