Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Tupac Amaru- Winners announced in 1st post.

There are any number of coins with identifiable names you can enter in this contest/giveaway. Tupac Amaru is one, Christian X is another, 10th anniversary Bank Negara would be a third.

If you wish to play, attempt to identify any of the coins I listed above or any coin entered by a forumite by its country of origin, and then please list one of your own as well, no other identification other than who or what the coin is identifying, or celebrating, or memorializing- by example the coins I listed above. If you enter a coin name, you can play at identifying the coin names entered. Got it?

Try to find interesting coin names that an average world coin collector might (or should) know- nothing too archaic, too old, or too obtuse, say 18th, 19th, 20th century, no country states as found in India or Germany, just the country. There should be something in your coin name that will allow an intelligent indentification.

3 ways to win one of three (or more) different coins:

1. The name that tickles Rita (my wife) the most, wins. Completely subjective on her part.image

2. Whoever lists a coin no one can identify (from just the name) wins. In case of ties additional giveaway coins (limited to 10) will be provided-earliest posts win. Be prepared to back up your unidentifiable coin with precise nomenclature or image.

3. Whoever identifies the most coins (from just the name) correctly, wins.

No limit on entries or ID's but no spamming allowed. Starts immediately and ends Sunday, May 6. In case of quandaries I will accept a forum quorum. I'll keep score and update in proportion to entries. Let's have some fun!

I haven't picked all the coins for the giveaway but here's one:

Dan 8402 wins most identified, sapyx wins a mandatory second due to knowledgeable participation, forum participants to decide what wasn't ID'd properly DesertRat wins name that tickles Rita, Quin Matrimonii Lustrum Celebrant XXIV Aprillis MDCCCLXXIX , perhaps because she's Italian...
I think I have the first three winners properly placed. What about the third-item not properly ID'd? I'll take recommendations here.image If I have made a mistake, let me know.

I've got to say I enjoyed the enthusiasm of the posts to this thread and the knowledge displayed- recognition and identification from just a couple of obscure words! I'll say I wish a few more players had displayed their (obvious) knowledge of world coins, but I'll live with it.image
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Tupac Amaru is on a Peruvian 5 soles, minted in at least 1971.

Christian X king of Denmark and had his mug on a lot of the coinage.

Bank Negara is the Central Bank of Malaysia and celebrated its tenth in 1969. A 1 ringgit coin was issued for the occasion.

========

Now for my name: Helvetia, its kinda a gimmie to most, but I don't know how many times I've seen people ask where those coins are from!
  • Options
    I was going to post until I saw I was beaten to the punch. But, since I was there last summer, I believe Helvetia is Switzerland, or Swiss coins.

To add one of my own...one word...Unicorn.

Edited because I can't spell.
  • Options
    More challenges:

Name two places where Liberte Egalite Fraternite have appeared on coins.

Berbice Revolt -- that's all

Magyar -- same comment as for Helvetia
  • Options

<< <i>More challenges:

Magyar -- same comment as for Helvetia >>

I know Magyar is Hungary image
  • Options

<< <i>More challenges:

Magyar -- same comment as for Helvetia >>

Berbice revolt appears to be Guyana, and the only country I know of for Liberte Egalite Fraternite is France.

Edited to add another: JULIANA KONINGIN
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>I was going to post until I saw I was beaten to the punch. But, since I was there last summer, I believe Helvetia is Switzerland, or Swiss coins.

To add one of my own...one word...Unicorn.

Edited because I can't spell. >>

Liberte Egalite Fraternite is on the French 1 Euro and 2 Euro coins?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tupac Amaru- why does it sound like a whale? Contest tied to a giveaway! >>

Sounds more like a dead rapper to me. A nearly-deified dead rapper, for reasons which elude me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>More challenges:

>>

French 1 and 2 euros

also

Dr J
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Quin Matrimonii Lustrum Celebrant XXIV Aprillis MDCCCLXXIX
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Spoon, I didn't think Bank Negara was that easy but it seems like you didn't even break a sweat.image
  • Options

<< <i>Quin Matrimonii Lustrum Celebrant XXIV Aprillis MDCCCLXXIX >>

Google is a wonderful thing

Double Florin
    for the Silver Wedding Anniversary
    Austria-Hungary
    Francis Joseph I (1848-1916)
    Minted: 1879
    Mint: Vienna
    Design: Friedrich Leisek (obverse), Anton Scharff (reverse)
    Engraving: Josef Tautenhayn (obverse)
    Model: Josef Tautenhayn (reverse)
    Silver
    Wt 24.69 g; D 36 mm

Dr J
  • Options
    Sorry if it seems like I'm taking over your thread Laurent! I love trivia image

OK, we've got these:

Helvetia appears on Swiss coinage, that or Helvetica.

Magyar is Hungarian for Hungary and appears on their coinage.

Close, but not yet a full cigar:

France is one place where Liberte Egalite Fraternite has appeared on coins. I forgot that technically most French territories would qualify as different "places" who've used it. But I'm thinking of another country, one France hasn't ruled in a long time (though recent coinage used it). And actually, I'm fairly certain there's more than one non-colonial place to have used it.

The Berbice Revolt is a famous slave rebellion in Guyana's history and was especially prominent in propaganda around the time it acquired independence. There was a coin minted in commemoration of it.
  • Options
    More challenges:

"The Love Of Liberty Brought Us Here" -- it's on a circulating coin, not a token or medal

Bailiwick

Empire Cherifien
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry if it seems like I'm taking over your thread Laurent! I love trivia image

OK, we've got these:

Helvetia appears on Swiss coinage, that or Helvetica.

Magyar is Hungarian for Hungary and appears on their coinage.

Close, but not yet a full cigar:

France is one place where Liberte Egalite Fraternite has appeared on coins. I forgot that technically most French territories would qualify as different "places" who've used it. But I'm thinking of another country, one France hasn't ruled in a long time (though recent coinage used it). And actually, I'm fairly certain there's more than one non-colonial place to have used it.

The Berbice Revolt is a famous slave rebellion in Guyana's history and was especially prominent in propaganda around the time it acquired independence. There was a coin minted in commemoration of it. >>

I'm thinking French Indo-China for the Liberte Egalite Fraternite question. I'll have to see if I can find anything else.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is getting confusing... image

I'll see if I can find some of the unanswereds, though.

"Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" was (and is) used on the coinage of Haiti, as well as France.

"The Love Of Liberty Brought Us Here" - Liberia - it''s the motto on the coat of arms which appears on all their coins.

"Bailiwick" - the only such entity to issue coinage in modern times is Guernsey (once spelled "Guernesey")

"Empire Cherifie" - Morocco.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options

<< <i>This is getting confusing... image

I'll see if I can find some of the unanswereds, though.

"Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" was (and is) used on the coinage of Haiti, as well as France.

"The Love Of Liberty Brought Us Here" - Liberia - it''s the motto on the coat of arms which appears on all their coins.

"Bailiwick" - the only such entity to issue coinage in modern times is Guernsey (once spelled "Guernesey")

"Empire Cherifie" - Morocco. >>

Ding ding ding! Those are all right! image

I seem to remember another coin from Africa that had the French motto, but I think one of the words was different (Solidarite?). Anyway, Sierra Leone uses a variant of it on their coins, in English: Unity, Freedom, Justice.
  • Options
    One more answer:

"Juliana Koningin" appears on Netherlands and Dutch colonies such as Netherlands Antilles and Suriname

And three from me:

President Smetona

Commissioners of Currency

CSFR

• Options

<< <i>One more answer:

"Juliana Koningin" appears on Netherlands and Dutch colonies such as Netherlands Antilles and Suriname

And three from me:

President Smetona

Commissioners of Currency

CSFR >>

President Smetona: Lithuania

Commissioners of Currency: Singapore

CSFR: Czechoslovakia
  • Options
    Heres a few new ones...

Suomen Tasavalta

Juan Peron

Alexander Bustamante
  • Options

<< <i>Commissioners of Currency: Singapore >>

Singapore? Wow - I checked, and sure enough it's there, on at least one commemorative $10. Wasn't the one I was thinking of, though - I was thinking circulating currency.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Commissioners of Currency: Singapore >>

Singapore? Wow - I checked, and sure enough it's there, on at least one commemorative $10. Wasn't the one I was thinking of, though - I was thinking circulating currency. >>

How about Malaya 1950 10 cents then?
  • Options
    Yep, Malaya was what I was thinking of. image

• Options
    Do I get a bonus point? image
  • Options
    My, my, my, what have I done?

You should see the scorecard I have scrawled in front of me... Ok,

I have DA8402 in the lead with 6 correct ID's
    Sapyx a close second with 5
    Spoon with 3
    drjules with 2
    DesertRat's one doesn't count because it was a late ID

Please feel free to help me keep track unanswereds and if you spot any mistakes or omissions let me know.

I believe we have 17 coins entered, 14 ID'd, 3 unidentified.
  • Options
    I count four unanswered...

Unicorn (way up in dan8402's original post) - China (mainland), Great Britain and Canada are three countries which spring to mind issuing coins with unicorns on them, but only China actually names them "Unicorn".

Suomen Tasavalta - Finnish for "Bank of Finland".

Juan Peron - no idea. image (I know where he was president of, and his wife is on coins from there - but I can't find him.)

Alexander Bustamante - First prime minister of Jamaica

Now for some more mystery words:

Grand-Duc

Moshoeshoe I

Edward VIII King Emperor

• Options

<< <i>I count four unanswered...

Unicorn (way up in dan8402's original post) - China (mainland), Great Britain and Canada are three countries which spring to mind issuing coins with unicorns on them, but only China actually names them "Unicorn".

Suomen Tasavalta - Finnish for "Bank of Finland".

Juan Peron - no idea. image (I know where he was president of, and his wife is on coins from there - but I can't find him.)

Alexander Bustamante - First prime minister of Jamaica

Now for some more mystery words:

Grand-Duc

Moshoeshoe I

Edward VIII King Emperor >>

Grand-Duc: Luxembourg Commemerative 2 Euro

Moshoeshoe I: Lesotho 1984 10 Maloti

Edward VIII King Emperor: 1936 Pattern Great Britain Crown

To add a few of mine

Taufa Ahau Tupou IV

Coelacanth
  • Options
    Taufa Ahau Tupou IV - Tongan king 1967-

Coelacanth - Comoros 5 Francs featuring a previously thought extinct prehistoric fish found in the country's Indian Ocean waters
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options

<< <i>Edward VIII King Emperor: 1936 Pattern Great Britain Crown >>

Nope. I'm after a circulation coin. Patterns (especially unofficial fantasy patterns) don't count. image

Correct on the other two. image

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a Puffin ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Edward VIII King Emperor: 1936 Pattern Great Britain Crown >>

Nope. I'm after a circulation coin. Patterns (especially unofficial fantasy patterns) don't count. image

Correct on the other two. image >>

Probably still not what you're looking for, but there is a 1936 Hong Kong gold proof with Edward VIII King Emperor on the obverse. Also a 1936 Cyprus proof crown. What I believe you're really looking for is Ceylon coins from 1902-1910.
  • Options

<< <i>How about a Puffin ? >>

If I am correct, the puffin is a very interesting denomination. It was issued for the island of Lundy off of the West Coast of England. In 1929 the Puffin and Half-Puffin were issued at the nominal value of the British penny and half-penny. I learn something new every day here image
  • Options
    For a new one, how about an alligator coin...
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Tupac Amaru- why does it sound like a whale? Contest tied to a giveaway! >>

Sounds more like a dead rapper to me. A nearly-deified dead rapper, for reasons which elude me. >>

Actually, my first thought was a Star Trek reference, but no, that was Kobayashi Maru...

(excuse me, my geekiness is showing...)
  • Options
    At last count, here are the standings. Please correct any mistakes you see.

Dan8402 ID'd: 9
    Sapyx ID'd: 7
    Spoon ID'd: 3
    Tbirde56 ID'd: 2
    Dr.Jules ID'd: 1
    Desertrat ID'd: 1

23 coins entered
    21 coins ID'd
    2 coins unidentified

I know there are more savvy individuals who don't neccessarily want to ID but could post to confound. Go ahead, take the shot. You can influence the outcome.

Tupac Amaru- why does it sound like a whale There is a certain most excellent SF book I'm thinking of-extra point goes to that ID'er.
  • Options

<< <i>Probably still not what you're looking for, but there is a 1936 Hong Kong gold proof with Edward VIII King Emperor on the obverse. Also a 1936 Cyprus proof crown. What I believe you're really looking for is Ceylon coins from 1902-1910. >>

Nope, nope and nope again. There's a whole bunch of unofficial patterns; there have been whole sets of them put out in the name of just about everywhere that was part of the Empire in 1936, but I'm looking for a circulation coin with those exact words. Only one country did so.

"Edward VIII King Emperor" is still unsolved.

Still haven't found "Juan Peron". image

I think I've found "Alligator", but I'm not sure. Do you mean a coin that says "alligator", or a coin picturing one? Is it an actual alligator (found only in the USA and China) or another species of crocodilian? (nit pick, nit pick, nit pick... image) There are lots of places that have made crocodile coins. The Gambia four shillings/1 dalasi is perhaps the most famous - it's the one I thought of when I saw the phrase "alligator coin". The Papua New Guinea 1 kina has two crocs, as does the Australian "Holey dollar" of 1989.

• Options
    Let's add one more mystery to the mix:

Novae Sueciae

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Probably still not what you're looking for, but there is a 1936 Hong Kong gold proof with Edward VIII King Emperor on the obverse. Also a 1936 Cyprus proof crown. What I believe you're really looking for is Ceylon coins from 1902-1910. >>

Nope, nope and nope again. There's a whole bunch of unofficial patterns; there have been whole sets of them put out in the name of just about everywhere that was part of the Empire in 1936, but I'm looking for a circulation coin with those exact words. Only one country did so.

"Edward VIII King Emperor" is still unsolved.

Still haven't found "Juan Peron". image

I think I've found "Alligator", but I'm not sure. Do you mean a coin that says "alligator", or a coin picturing one? Is it an actual alligator (found only in the USA and China) or another species of crocodilian? (nit pick, nit pick, nit pick... image) There are lots of places that have made crocodile coins. The Gambia four shillings/1 dalasi is perhaps the most famous - it's the one I thought of when I saw the phrase "alligator coin". The Papua New Guinea 1 kina has two crocs, as does the Australian "Holey dollar" of 1989. >>

For Edward VIII King Emperor, I have another guess, with eBay proof image Fiji 1936 penny. Fiji

Edit: I was just looking for the coin with a picture of an alligator.
  • Options

<< <i>Let's add one more mystery to the mix:

Novae Sueciae >>

1938 Sweden 2 Kronor
  • Options
    Edward VIII King Emperor - In Latin 'Rex et Ind Imp' on Br.W.Africa 1/10, 1/2, 1 penny coins.

Alligator - 'caiman' is a Spanish term for alligator and one is featured on the Guyana 1976-80 dollar coins for instance.

Juan Peron - his wife Evita is featured on Argentine 1997 coins while coins issued under his reign (1948-56) featured Jose de San Martin.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options

<< <i>Edward VIII King Emperor - In Latin 'Rex et Ind Imp' on Br.W.Africa 1/10, 1/2, 1 penny coins.

Alligator - 'caiman' is a Spanish term for alligator and one is featured on the Guyana 1976-80 dollar coins for instance.

Juan Peron - his wife Evita is featured on Argentine 1997 coins while coins issued under his reign (1948-56) featured Jose de San Martin. >>

From a website on Google, "Caiman is a Spanish term for "alligator" or any crocodilian". I was looking specifically for a coin with an alligator on the coin.
  • Options
    dan8402 has got them both! Edward VIII King Emperor: Fiji (sure made you work hard for that one image )

Novae Sueciae on the Swedish coin for the 300th anniversary for the founding of Delaware. image

So nobody's found the alligator coin yet? image

• Options

<< <i>dan8402 has got them both! Edward VIII King Emperor: Fiji (sure made you work hard for that one image )

Novae Sueciae on the Swedish coin for the 300th anniversary for the founding of Delaware. image

So nobody's found the alligator coin yet? image >>

I promise there is one. I didn't think it would be this hard, but seeing how much you made me work image
  • Options
    I wish I had entered my own contest! I have seen a number of entered names I could (have) identified.image

It seems as if there are only (or especially) four or five entrants who will last until the end. If they want to battle it out, fine. If not I will end this contest/giveaway early.

I'd rather see a battle to the end.image

Oh man, I can definitely think of at least one alligator coin!
  • Options
    I'll battle it out, I just don't have anything else to find...lol
  • Options

Since I cheated, using Google Images searching, this is not an entry. image
    Roy

• Options
    On the contrary, others seem to be doing the same so this would (if you wish) be considered a valid entry. Plus, I always enjoy an image.image
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Gators? Here are a couple of gators:

Shep
  • Options

<< <i>Gators? Here are a couple of gators:

Shep >>

And another image
  • Options