Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Another dropout in the Registry Race......me

I got home from vacation on Saturday afternoon, and checked the registry site to see whre I stood.....I was #2 current finest. But guess what? PCGS changed all the rules while I was gone, now you need the 50-s/d, 50-d/s, 34 LM, and 34DDO?????? what's with that. I mean if they're going to add the 34DDO why not the 37 and the 43-S. Who thinks this stuff up.

So, I'm looking at the registry for Washington qtr. 32-64 circulation strikes and I'm not in the top 5 and I'm wondering what the hell is going on??? I click the link for the balance of sets and guess where I'm listed....12th, can you believe it...from 2nd to 12th in less than 3 weeks!!!!

And don't get me started on their point system, either!

So in protest, I've decided to delete my registry set and did so. What's to prevent the people in that ivory tower at PCGS to change their minds again, pull the 34DDO, maybe it shouldn't be in the set, maybe it should be the 37DDo and the 43-S DDO. Maybe they'll start requiring all the washington varities...what's to stop them???

I read in another thread about leasing coins, well now, that's an interesting idea!!! I'm certainely interested in that...just think, I can lease all the high end coins, 67's maybe some 68's and all the varities. If PCGS pulls a coin from the set, I can notify my lessor, cancel the lease on that coin and lease any new coin PCGS decides to add to the registry set. Or, if they add anything new, just call him up, add another $5 per month to lease the new coin.

It's better than shelling out oodles and oodles of money to actually own these coins. When I die, my heirs won't have to worry about selling them...the lease just ends. And I won't have to worry about expensive upgrades either. I think LEASING is the wave of the future!!!

Let's all thank PCGS for their infinite wisdom in changing the rules of the registry sets, at their whim, anytime they feel like it, with no regard whatsoever for the collectors. Thank you PCGS, as I bend over and......well you know the rest. Gives you a warm fuzzy....doesn't it???

Don

Don

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don: It is an absolute "travesty of justice" that in the span of a single (well-earned) vacation for you and the Ms (away from the kids!!) your #2 Registry set crashed from #2 to #12. There are at least 2 reasons this occurred:

1. There was no notice period alerting you that 4 more coins were needed for the set. If changes were to kick in say 30 days later or 60 days later, everyone would be prepared for them the best they could. No notice = chaos.

2. When you value-weight using an inadequate system, expect quirky results. You very scarce finest known coins received virtually no meaningful weight (take your mutli-thousand dollar 1946(p) quarter in PCGS-MS67 carring the weight of a $100 circulated coin, etc.) When weighting is not accurate is has no socioeconomic barriers. I known Don you do not confess to be a mutli-millionaire. You have worked EXTRA hard to build your great set on a budget. You sacrificed for the set; yet your "score" showed no mercy. Just be lucky you didn't swing for one of the MS68 coins for "5 figures", as that gets the points of a $100-$200 coin as well!!

I know you were kidding about the leasing, as my final thoughts on "leasing" will be raised tonight on another thread. But, there do appear to be rules needed for the game. "Due process" generally requires "adequate notice". Again, that is what "got you" in this case. But, before you "throw in the towel", read these boards through 1/1/02 and then make your final decision. Your set is a "class act". Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I must agree the 34 DD is bullsh!t. Hopefull PCGS will undo this if we get a couple of high ranking sets to fall out.

Kyle
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Don
    I saw it happen and I knew you wouldn't be happy.I Emailed BJ and told her the way PCGS was doing it wasn't right.There are quite a few things that are comeing,that will cause a flap.I removed my Licoln Proof Set as well.If that is any help.It is my hope that PCGS will reevalueate it's position!
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Do you guys think that PCGS will change their minds if everyone deleted their set? Maybee that will give them a hint that what they did was not right.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Don,

Sorry to see your set go. You had some great quarters and really high quality pics of the coins themselves that really expressed the beauty of the set. You will be missed.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    The overMM (1950's) I could live with but the 34DD? Whacky stuff.
  • Options
    ((Wow, I just wrote '34DD' and the censor didn't stop me!))
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was brought up on this forum that all serious collectors of these coins already have the additional coins. I email PCGS about this, and was told the same thing. Guess PCGS didn't bother to ask the actual participants what they thought.

Think of it this way, your set was complete. Now you need 4 more coins. Think of the business someone will get for this. Now try an figure out who was the driving force behind the additions.

As for weighting, I think (hope) that this is work in process, and will be adjusted to best fit the sets as they "figure" it out.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I have been slowly working on a nice silver Washington set, but I don't include the new varieties that PCGS just dropped into the Registry Set. Guess that means I won't register the set unless something changes. I can't say that I blame you for taking your set down Don, just spur of the moment with no consultation from collectors is sh*tty.
  • Options
    Don,

I wish you wouldn't drop out. I thought a lot about it last week myself. But I do think we all ought to let PCGS knpw what we think.

I can sort of agree with the dumb weighting system...a weighting system makes sense, I'm just not sure that this atrocity is it.

I can sort of agree with the light motto...it seems to be within everyone's reach.

I've got some serious concern about the mintmarks, particularly the iplications for other sets, e.g. Morgans...and wish that they were given bonus points but was not mandatory foor a complete set.

Lastly, the doubled die makes no sense to me...why the 34 and no other date...it's not the plentiful among graded coins...I'm presuming they believe it will cause another 20 or so to be graded and bring in a whooping $600 in additional revenue.

I think instead of getting any coins graded this year, that we all ought to by Collectors Universe stock and fire the current management...
  • Options
    Don,

I wish you wouldn't drop out. I thought a lot about it last week myself. But I do think we all ought to let PCGS knpw what we think.

I can sort of agree with the dumb weighting system...a weighting system makes sense, I'm just not sure that this atrocity is it.

I can sort of agree with the light motto...it seems to be within everyone's reach.

I've got some serious concern about the mintmarks, particularly the iplications for other sets, e.g. Morgans...and wish that they were given bonus points but was not mandatory foor a complete set.

Lastly, the doubled die makes no sense to me...why the 34 and no other date...it's not the plentiful among graded coins...I'm presuming they believe it will cause another 20 or so to be graded and bring in a whooping $600 in additional revenue.

I think instead of getting any coins graded this year, that we all ought to by Collectors Universe stock and fire the current management...

Mansco
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Don, welcome back but sorry to hear the bad news. You have an outstanding collection. You should consider posting your set at NGC so that you still get some recognition for all your hard work. No cost unless you post the pictures. You deserve to be at the top.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    Not very long ago, wondercoin had some of the PCGS graded 1950 d/s, 1950 s/d Wash. quarters posted for sale on this bd. He had one or the other or both. I guess one of those coins in PCGS MS66
    is a five figure coin now. (maybe it was a five figure coin
    before the registry changes) I guess luck swung his way.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riverman: Yes, I did offer the s/d and d/s coins for about 1 month prior to the change and I even suggested in my offerings that if any coins were added, it was likely to be those. Incidently, the price I offered my 1950 s/d in PCGS-MS67 weeks before the PCGS announcement was the EXACT PRICE I sold the coin to a forum member the day of announcement. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.