Home Metal Detecting
Options

The Explorer SE sucks.......

The oldies out of the ground that is B)

Well I was originally going to join up with a friend up at an old San Francisco park but due to a Bday party for my brother the night before I wasn't quite feeling myself the next morning :wacko:

So later in the evening I decided to give the SE it's first real run at one of those "pounded" sites. I was really excited to see these guys start popping out of the ground.

I will admit that the first couple hours with the SE were frustrating as all heck but the tones really started sinking in. I chased a few targets with my Lesche until I realized that I was pinpointing right but digging under the wrong part of the loop! Lesson learned image

All in all I had a great time with the SE. One smoooooooooth machine!

Oh.....that Indian Head up top is my first!!!

Indian Head - 1895
Wheaties - 1919, 1951, 1935, 1949, 1946, 1957, 1952

SILVER
Mercs - 1935, 1942, 1939
Nickels - 1953, 1963, 1964, 1964
Rosie - 1963

Northern California
Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.

Comments

• Options
    Looks like you had a great day at a great site. Congrats!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Wow, that is an impressive start!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice haul.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Geez, I didn't open this thread for two days fearing the negative vibes of a frustrated MDerimage
    Nice haul! Keep 'em comin'.
  • Options
    Nice work Agile!
    Congrats on your first IHC! I just found my first last year.
    Keep em coming!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'd been avoiding this topic for a little while and I can't take it anymore so this is it.

<< <i>All in all I had a great time with the SE. One smoooooooooth machine! >>

I have heard more negative comments than possitive.
    Honestly, the SE confuses the crap out of me as the former version of the Exproler works better
    for me.

For any MDist who has never used the Explorer you can pretty much expect high level of
    frustration in the first several tries. For those that HAD used the older Explorer, don't expect to
    take the SE out of the box and start finding silver coins.

For those that have the old Explorer that want to trade up for the SE, don't sell the old machine
    just yet.
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd been avoiding this topic for a little while and I can't take it anymore so this is it.

<< <i>All in all I had a great time with the SE. One smoooooooooth machine! >>

I have heard more negative comments than possitive.
    Honestly, the SE confuses the crap out of me as the former version of the Exproler works better
    for me.

For any MDist who has never used the Explorer you can pretty much expect high level of
    frustration in the first several tries. For those that HAD used the older Explorer, don't expect to
    take the SE out of the box and start finding silver coins.

For those that have the old Explorer that want to trade up for the SE, don't sell the old machine
    just yet. >>

I have found the learning curve isn't nearly as daunting as I had expected. I have used Whites, Tesoros and Fishers in the past. Sure it took a couple times to get used to but I nailed silver on my first trip out (last fall). I had studied and read about the different cursor positions prior to using my SE. It's nice to let others do a little "R & D" for you to reference before getting out in the field. Folks, it isn't a magic wand but I'm liking it MUCH better than my other detectors. I can't comment on the differences between the SE and the 2's, X's or XS's, having only used a 2 briefly.

I guess what's really important here is getting out and having fun with whatever you got. If a particular brand or model is more to your liking, than go with it. There's no magically perfect machine out there. Two of the most important factors: The operator and location. A Pinto can get you to the mall just like a BMW but the ride's going to be different. Oh and if there aren't any silver coins at that mall, it doesn't matter what your ride is, you won't find any. HH.

Crispy

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."