Home Metal Detecting
Options

An article I read and thought you guys might appreciate it.

MEtal Detecting.

I've always wanted to try metal detecting, but the cost of entry is a little high for what I expect would be an experience like the one in the article.

Comments

• Options
    I read that article a while ago, pretty funny read. I went ahead and made the jump and all I had to purchase to get started was a Garrett Ace 250. Entry level detector in price, mid level in features (or at least that's how it seems to me).

Rob

4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options

<< <i>MEtal Detecting. I've always wanted to try metal detecting, but the cost of entry is a little high for what I expect would be an experience like the one in the article. >>

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV ---LOL I got one at a yard sale for $8.00 ! ! !

$$$$ $$$ $$ That is funny "a little high" People spend more $$ on bowling !

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny article.... too bad she was so easily discouraged.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    In a way it is funny. Just shows some folks just aren't cut out for the "sport" as she deems to call it. I don't know too many people that are "solipsistic". I had to look that one up. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    That article just irritates me. image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That article just irritates me. image >>

I gave up halfway through
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

<< <i>That article just irritates me. >>

If you read the job desciption of the "human guinea pig" at the end of the article, it says: "In Human Guinea Pig, I take strange jobs, sample peculiar therapies, pick up odd hobbies, and generally try the activities that my colleagues have always wondered about but don't have the guts to do themselves."

It sounds like she is a flighty person anyway that really had no intention of doing this for anything other than a story. She choose what slant she wanted to put on it. If there was no conflict, I doubt it would have made a "good" article to her target audience. image
  • Options
    To be honest, the less people that do it suits me just fine. That means there is more for me to find.
  • Options
    jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082
    If I ever find one at a garage sale, I will definetly take up the hobby. $250 is steep for me.

I'll give it a shot someday.
  • Options

<< <i>To be honest, the less people that do it suits me just fine. That means there is more for me to find. >>

This is what I was thinking. I thought the article was funny.

Of course, I also like the Real Men of Genius commercial and laughed out loud when I heard a comedian say, “My hobby is burying metal objects in the sand that say, ‘get a life.’”

Prim and proper adults may think I look like a dink when I’m out there whooping the grass with my coil, but it sure brings the kids from all corners of a park. And, unlike the 9-year-old in the story, they’re fascinated with the penny-finding machine.
    imageimage