Home Metal Detecting
Options

Pounds of Coins

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just thought that I would weigh the coins that I have found since the fall of 1995.

These are the rough totals:

Cents-----------167.5 pounds
Nickels------------28.5 pounds
Dimes-------------51.5 pounds
Quarters---------95 pounds

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
  • Options
    My question is this...

Did you do that by shear numbers (i.e. Adding up what you have found, by its direct assigned weight) or do you still actually have the coins and did it by the coins themselves?

And lets not just look at weight... what are the count #'s that go with those totals?
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I weighed them in containers. My wife has been after me for a long time to cash them in. I really haven't had the desire to do so yet. If it ever happens I will take them to a bank that has a counting machine. It won't be a Coin Star. Then what to do with the cash? Maybe get a couple of gold coins or look for a circulated Spanish Trail commemorative.
  • Options
    i like heavy metal...rock on dude!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... twelve years - that is a pile of cash... thanks for sharing... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MoneyCollectorMoneyCollector Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Huge amount of coins. I weigh quarters at my car washes rather than count them and I believe 25 pounds = $500 bucks so you would have almost $2,000 in quarters alone!!

Randy
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's an amazing number of coins!

I had to check what that adds up to:

Cents: ~29,700 coins --> $297 (this assumes 90% Zincolns and 10% Copper cents) image
    Nickels: ~2,600 coins --> $129
    Dimes: ~10,300 coins --> $1,030
    Quarters: ~7,600 coins --> $1,900
    --------
    Total: ~50,200 coins --> ~$3,360
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    That is astounding.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Edited to add: I'm confused. I was reading old threads and clicked reply by accident. Then, in further confusion, I hit reply. I don’t know why.
    imageimage
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    OMG that's three times what I weigh!!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Wow...That is a lot. This reminds me of a story of the guy who saved
    the cents since the 1950's and cashed them in in the late 1990's or early
    2000's. The bank was not happy to see his collection. I betcha the coin machine
    will have tough time with the cents.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow...That is a lot. This reminds me of a story of the guy who saved
    the cents since the 1950's and cashed them in in the late 1990's or early
    2000's. The bank was not happy to see his collection. I betcha the coin machine
    will have tough time with the cents. >>

Is this the couple that was married? There was one about a couple who never spent change. They would always break a dollar, and save the change since the day they were married. Sometime around their 50th Anniversary, they cashed the change in. It was $8X,XXX.XX. I dont remember the exact number... but it was over $80K. Completly insane!!!