Home Metal Detecting

New to Detecting with a GREAT first day.

About a week or so ago, I decided to plunge in and take up the great sport of metal detecting. So I did a little bit of research and decided that for a first timer, the Garrett Ace 250 would be a good choice. UPS delivered it on Thursday and I took it out on Friday, after reviewing the DVD and reading the instruction book, for two & 1/2 hours at a small local (@ 4 acres in the middle of the city) park/playground hoping to find some loose change around the merry-go-round, swings, monkey bars, etc. I know this park has been swept in the past, because I have seen people there detecting within the past few years.

Well, I am hooked, thats for sure. Not only is the Ace 250 easy to use, with good features ( the pinpoint button is wonderful), but I found SILVER. About two hours into it, after finding 8 pennys and 2 nickels, I found a 1924-S Mercury dime (appears to be in Fine condition) by a stump in the back corner of the park, under about 2.5 inches of soil. I could not believe that silver would even be possible. It just goes to show that you never know what you will find and that things get missed after all of these years.

I know some of you might be thinking that this was a plant to be found at one time in the past, but I am pretty sure this was not a plant, since there are no detecting groups in the area and the park has been around since at least 1925 when all of the trees there were planted.

If every one has a first day like this, it would keep this hobby growing. Not really a huge find, but enough of one to keep this newby excited and hopeful for a long time.

Comments

• That's a great first find. I think it took me nearly 5 months to find my first silver.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Thanks for posting the picture 30AnvZ28.

I figured it would take at least a year before I would see any silver in coin form. I thought I would find a cheap silver necklace/ring, before a silver coin.
  • You are off to a good start! ! !

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>but enough of one to keep this newby excited and hopeful for a long time. >>

That's enough to keep not so newbies going also.
    Nice first day!!
  • i like mercs!...wtg!...keep at it...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First day success is a clincher... you are now officially bitten by the MD bug... Cheers, RickO
  • I can't wait to get out again. Unfortunatly, I live in WA and the forcast is RAIN for most of this week again. How do you cope with bad weather? Just wait it out?
  • You had a much better first day than I've had on my "first" day or my second "first" day. Good job.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • marymmarym Posts: 713
    Hey Bull, that's an awesome find!! If I ever dig up a little merc, I'm going to frame and hang it in my office image
    Be Still and Know
  • Way to start off out of the gate!

Keep it up!

BTW-image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silvered on the first day?

With an obsolete-design piece of silver... a Merc? And a pre-1934 Merc, to boot?

GREAT, indeed! image

Something tells me we'll be hearing more good news from you in the near future!

Say, I like that proof George III avatar. Looks like one of the pieces owned by Spinaker2000 or rhound1977 over on the World Coin forum (aka "The Darkside").

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that was one of Terry's (Spinaker's) coins. Unless it's yours?

Check out my old PR64 CAM Irish gilt proof penny, the biggest monster coin I have ever owned:

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Sheesh!...It took me 2 weeks to find my first coin, and it was just a wheat cent....Don't get spoiled. I hope every outing is like that for you, but most here will tell you, there will be dry spells....But so far, WAY TO GO!

• lordmarcovan
    I have hung out in the darkside forums for years, but only recently started to post.

The icon I am using is not mine. I am not sure who it belongs to. I just have a thing for older European coins with an emphesis on G.B. and France.

BTW, I have gotten the detector out only three times since my first time with more time devoted to it this weekend if the rain stays away. Nothing spectacular found like my first day out with the 1924 Merc. So far, I am up to $2.83 in clad coins (one of them was a 1940 nickel), a spike off a dog collar, 2- 30-06 shells, a .22 shell (in a neighborhood playground image ) and lots of junk (foil, cans, pull tabs, caps, nuts, and lots more foil). I think there is too much foil wrapped candy out there. Its a killer.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, a closet Darkside lurker. My kinda guy. Glad you're out in the open now. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.