Home U.S. Coin Forum

WOW! Raw 2006 ASE Silver Eagle sets closing in on $600.00!

13»

Comments

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

For instance, the pops at NCG shows the '06W proof at a pop of 3,000 lower that the RF. For some strange reason, the burnished '06-W is nearly the same as the RP. I'm sure there must be a similar difference at PCGS.

Nope, PCGS shows Reverse Proof, 20th anniversary Regular Proof and and 20th anniversary Burnished in that order.

The difference could be a higher percentage of NGC submissions for the Burnished because of PCGS not grading any as MS70.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You don't buy rarities in sets of 100. The coins are desirable and collectors will pay a premium (today)but with a mintage of 250,000 they will never qualify as a rarity.

I did not intend to "bag" on modern collectors (I have over 1000 SAE's) and I think the SEA proof is a very beautiful coin. What was being posted here was not about a nice coin to add to a collection. You guys were talking about making money buying these "rarities" and I still think that you will not make any great money buying these at $4-600 a set and may even find you can't dump them a few years from now at the price you paid.

Don't confuse collecting and greed. The first will give you enjoyment the second will give you grief. >>

w/ over 1000 SAE's you gotta be doing somethin' other than "collecting" image
  • JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>
    Hey, ASE collectors. Question.

Where does the 2006 RP stand as far as mintage, within the series? >>

The second lowest mintage in the series behind the 1995W proof.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You don't buy rarities in sets of 100. The coins are desirable and collectors will pay a premium (today)but with a mintage of 250,000 they will never qualify as a rarity.

I did not intend to "bag" on modern collectors (I have over 1000 SAE's) and I think the SEA proof is a very beautiful coin. What was being posted here was not about a nice coin to add to a collection. You guys were talking about making money buying these "rarities" and I still think that you will not make any great money buying these at $4-600 a set and may even find you can't dump them a few years from now at the price you paid.

Don't confuse collecting and greed. The first will give you enjoyment the second will give you grief. >>

w/ over 1000 SAE's you gotta be doing somethin' other than "collecting" image >>

Shall we call it "Hoarding"

I always thought that A COIN is Considered RARE when 1,000 or 10,000 collectors fight hand-over-fist to get just 1 example.

Only 1 out of 16 collector will own a RP assuming there are 4,000,000 US coin collectors. But do we really have 4,000,000 ASE collectors outhere (I honestly don't know)?
  • ddinkddink Posts: 2,748

<< <i>The coins are desirable and collectors will pay a premium (today)but with a mintage of 250,000 they will never qualify as a rarity. >>

I'd much rather have a coin with a mintage of 250,000 that 1,000,000 people want, instead of a coin with a mintage of 25 that only 20 people want.

Rarity is a relative term. As I've said before, if you were one of the 250,000 smartest people in the U.S., that would put you in the 99.92 percentile (roughly equivalent to an IQ of 150 or an SAT score of 1580-1600...far, far above genius level). If you were one of the 250,000 richest people in the U.S., you'd be a millionare many times over. Sometimes 250,000 is a very small number, indeed.

P.S. Can someone link the auction that is supposedly selling 100 20th Anniversary sets? I sure haven't been able to find it.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The coins are desirable and collectors will pay a premium (today)but with a mintage of 250,000 they will never qualify as a rarity. >>

I'd much rather have a coin with a mintage of 250,000 that 1,000,000 people want, instead of a coin with a mintage of 25 that only 20 people want.

Rarity is a relative term. As I've said before, if you were one of the 250,000 smartest people in the U.S., that would put you in the 99.92 percentile (roughly equivalent to an IQ of 150 or an SAT score of 1580-1600...far, far above genius level). If you were one of the 250,000 richest people in the U.S., you'd be a millionare many times over. Sometimes 250,000 is a very small number, indeed.

P.S. Can someone link the auction that is supposedly selling 100 20th Anniversary sets? I sure haven't been able to find it. >>

one link..he has 3 auctions...link
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • OPA: Thanks. My search was 20th anniversary -gold, which is why I missed this auction.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭
    WoW . All coins have Eagle 20th Anniversary labels.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I agree with these coins not being called "rarities" but think that supply/demand ratios are important to value. That is why a coin such as the 1909s VDB can be valuable despite not being particularly rare.

Probably this is what everybody is referring to when they call something rare.

Where I get a kick is when one of the TV coin selling shows tries to intrepet rarity from one series to another and say that if one coin/set is worth such and such at a certain mintage level that another coin/set is a total bargain since its mintage is less or comparable - they are leaving out the demand factor in pricing.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there seems to be confusion between rarity... and valuable. Rarity has to do with numbers... hard to find due to very limited numbers. Valuable, on the other hand, combines the number of coins with the desirability or demand for the coin, which determines how valuable the coin is and how much individuals are willing to pay for it. The 1909-S vdb is a valuable coin... but not rare. The 2006 Reverse Proof is a valuable coin.... but not rare.
    ----- kj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file