Home Sports Talk
Options

Official 07 Royals Thread

kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
Pretty sweet win yesterday. It was kinda nice to see another team lose the way we usually do.

DeJesus & Buck are looking pretty decent. Meche appears to be earning his money. Gordon will hopefully settle in pretty soon and hit about .350 with 140 RBI this year.

We're gonna go hit up buck night tomorrow. I think my brother in law is going. That means him and I will be trying to entertain 2 pregnant women who have a limited interest in the game. image
Travis

Comments

• Options
    Had a great time at the game Friday. The mix of great weather, fleece blanket giveaways and playing the Twins had Kauffman at about 90% capacity. I don't know that I have ever seen that place as packed as it was Friday. It almost felt like watching a playoff caliber team in September.

Maybe someday...
    Travis
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck with your team! I think Gordon will be good once he settles in a bit.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gordon will hopefully settle in pretty soon and hit about .350 with 140 RBI this year. >>

God I hope not! He'd be in Yankee pinstripes before you could say jack robinson. image

He had a helluva year here in Wichita last year. I hope the media won't overburden him because of his "slow" start. He'll find his swing.

Other thoughts.
    If the 2007 answer to the annual fill-in-the-blank statement Royals fans have gotten used to saying- "If Mike Sweeney stays healthy...."- is "he'd hit 40+ homeruns", we just might avoid another year of 100+ losses. (I just hope he doesn't hurt his back while signing an autograph. I still find it amazing that in this era of offense offense offense the Royals have yet to have a player hit 40 homers, let alone someone break Balboni's record of 36 set WAYYYYYYYYYY back in 1985. Hell, even BRADY FREAKIN' ANDERSON hit 50 for the Os! Ok, he was doped up. BUT STILL!)

I hope Gil Meche is worth the number on his back (55) times a million. I have to admit that while I watch baseball I had never HEARD of him before he was signed to this contract.

We need a closer who won't blow it every time out. I still have memories of Jeff Montgomery blowing about every save chance he had. (Ok, at least towards the end of his Royals tenure.)

What can I say? I was an 80s child raised on a Royals team who was fun to watch and was a contender in the purest-Marlon-Brando sense of the word. Ewing Kauffman may very well be rolling in his grave now. Then again, we're owned by a former CEO of Wal Mart. If memory serves, their slogan is "FALLING PRICES".

Ah hell. You gotta love these guys!

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Game has started......Meche is on the mound. Let's go Royals.....send those Sox back to the Windy City.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Apparently the Royals can't even be rewarded for doing something good anymore. image

Hunter in trouble?
    Travis
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Game has started......Meche is on the mound. Let's go Royals.....send those Sox back to the Windy City.

Mark >>

Tell me again how much are they paying him?image
  • Options
    $11 mil per. I'd say so far he's been worth it. 4 out of 5 quality starts and an ERA about 2.50
    Travis
  • Options
    DeJesus did pretty good with his sore ankle and Meche did well. It was anyone's game up until the end, which is much better then most of our losses....watching/listening to wise at least. I was listening via the radio, as one of the NY teams was on ESPN...grrrrr.

Today we have a pitcher making his Royal debut. Brian Bannister, who went went 1-1 with a 2.61 ERA in Omaha, and played a few games with the Mets last year, who drafted him in 2003.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7703

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    What are your feelings on moving Teahen to right field? I'm a Canadian and Teahen maintains a dual citizenship and his dad was raised in Ontario.
  • Options

<< <i>What are your feelings on moving Teahen to right field? I'm a Canadian and Teahen maintains a dual citizenship and his dad was raised in Ontario. >>

I think it was a good move. Gordon wasn't going to let him stay at 3rd. An option would have been to put him at SS to replace Berroa but Pena has done a fine job there. If nothing else it keeps one of the better hitters in the lineup while addressing KC's needs for decent outfielders.
    Travis
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its time to send Alex Gordon down to Omaha. Have Teahen play third base and bring up Billy Butler from Omaha to play outfield.

Butler after 19 games at Omaha:
    .338 avg. 6 HR and 21 RBI's.

Looks like it may have been a bad move having Gordon skip Triple-A, he seems completely overmatched in the big leagues.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a Triple A stint might do Gordon some good. This kid will be good but I think he needs to get some confidence back before its to late. ( for this season )
  • Options
    perkdog- agreed. KC can't keep playing Gordon when he's hitting .134, and they don't want him sitting on the bench in KC, so that leaves sending him to Omaha to try to get out of his slump and regain confidence in his swing.

The Royals felt like Billy Butler was ready to hit big league pitching coming out of spring training, they sent him down to work on his defense. I say go ahead and give him a chance in KC, he can't do any worse than Gordon.

• Options
    Nice three run homerun Mark Teahen! Going into the 5th down 1.

Mark
  • Options
    3-17.....what were they playing today...football?

Mark
  • Options
    I hope Gordon lives up to his potential too.
    And props to Meche for not blowing it.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Gordon still needs to be sent down. At least he knows he's sucking as he tries to get hit by a pitch every at bat. He's begging to be put out of his misery. Pretty soon he'll stop wearing a helmet to bat. Been plunked eight or nine times this year. Why does he always take the first two strikes? That's no way to break out of a slump. Still hitting .170.

At least they brought up Billy Butler, which was a good move. He should hit .330 for the next ten years.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice three run homerun Mark Teahen! >>

Given the final score of last night's game (17-3), are you sure it wasn't a field goal?
  • Options
    Top of the 10th 4-4 with the Cubs today. Go Royals!

Mark
  • Options
    And off course Gordon stuck out (for like the 36/37th time this season) with a man in scoring position, and then a walk and error scored a Cubs winning run. Oh well, we'll get them tomorrow. We seem to be pretty good at winning one game a series.

Mark
  • Options
    Another three run homerun for Teahen today. Royals winning today 11-1...starting a series against the A's tomorrow.

Go Royals!

Mark
  • Options
    I had lunch today with a couple guys from our St. Louis office. I almost felt bad for them over how much they were crying about how the Cards were doing.

Almost.

GW hr by Buck last night and another solid game from our local overpaid mediocre pitcher.
    Travis
  • Options
    Yeah, too bad Meche didn't get the win yesterday. The A's pitcher also was outstanding. I think Meche's era went under 2.00 with seven shutout innings.

This year has been frustrating for me because I think the Royals have more talent than they're showing.

• Options
    Really suprising Alex Gordon wasn't able to come through with the bases loaded in the tenth inning last night, I was sure he would be able to get hit by a pitch. image

• Options
    You know, I have to argue the point that Gordon should be in the majors. Get him exposed to as many major league pitchers as possible. Sending him in the minors to beat up on lower quality pitching isn't going to do anything but give a false sense of confidence. Just make sure he knows that he has no pressure, there are no expectations for this year, and let him go get used to major league pitchers. Keep Grienke in the rotation, bring up Hoechevar, Costa, Huber, etc. and let these kids get their knocks (literally with Gordon). Give them that extra time to get familiar with each other and gel. There's no reason anyone over 30 should be starting in mid-August, that's not the plan.

In the past, people in KC would scream about leaving the kids in the minors too long because Allard Baird didn't want them to begin accruing service time too soon, because he knew that if they were any good, they would leave as soon as they were eligible. I think keeping Gordon up shows a commitment by Dayton Moore that he's willing to let someone "use up" his service time to develop and that the Royals will still attempt to sign him.
    Travis
  • Options
    KC- I would agree with you about Gordon except for the fact I'm not ready to give up on this season yet. His .160 avg. and 5 RBI's in about 40 games is absolutely killing the Royals. They have to get production from him or send him down, and they're way overdue on sending him down.

As you know, the Royals just won 3 of 4 against the A's, and there's reason for optimism. I think the Royals could start consistently winning. Meche has been great, and if De La Rosa(brilliant at times) can step up to that level, and maybe a couple others like Perez who just pitched 5 no hit innings last night, who knows what could happen. Still lots of games left.

I'm starting to worry about Buddy Bell, whether he knows how to manage. He just sent Billy Butler down, and I know he would have hit alot better than Gordo. Its not like Alex is staying because of his defense, he's made a bunch of errors.
  • Options
    And Gordo just brought home my point.

So Colorado takes out their starting pitcher, who was pitching a shutout. The reliever promptly gives up a walk, 3 singles, and a 3 run homer to the Royals. Then up comes Gordo. Groundout. Up next, the Royals pitcher. Base hit!!

So even our pitchers can out hit young Gordo.

• Options
    KC is gettin HOT!!! Won 8 of 10, getting ready to broom the Tribe. Gordon jacked one out last night, Buck is turning into a great offensive catcher, even the bullpen is lights out. Perhaps the future has arrived sooner than expected.

I predict Royals will finish 3rd or better in the division next year.
    Travis
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Royals are showing some life -- good to see.
  • Options
    Yes, Royals are showing some life -- good to see.

Now they're dead. 4 straight loses. Every time they start to show some consistency, like this time with the starting pitching, it blows up like an ACME company rocket blows up on Wile. E. Coyote.
  • Options
    Outscored 45-11 in the last 5. Nuff said.

I need to gripe about Buddy Bell. Does this guy even care about his job? I have been to two games this year, including Saturday's, andI have seen 3 calls by umps that were close enough to argue about, yet Buddy sits on his arse and lets it go. Saturday was a good example. A Mariner was called safe at first on what appeared to be a horrible call. Buddy lets it go, next pitch, Jojima jacks a grand slam over the left field wall, game over in the fifth.

He leaves these relievers in when they aren't pitching well to continue to get battered. Granted the bullpen hasn't been great, but how much of that is because they were left in when any other manager would have yanked them?

I know the guy can't be expected to win, and he knows he's not part of the future here, but why not try to put forth an effort and at least show other clubs out there, that may hire you, that you can run a ball club?

Now he says, contrary to his spring training comments, that he will start a platoon with John Buck and Jason LaRue. Buck, who has been the best hitter on the team so far and has really improved his all around game, will now only catch for 3 of 5 pitchers. He's a young guy, proving he's good enough to be here for the future, get him out there for more than 60% of the games.

If KC were smart they'd give Bell his pink slip before he Bob Boone's this team. I heard a rumor that Joe Girardi is looking for work. (hint, hint)
    Travis
  • Options
    I agree Bell needs to go. How about move Frank White up?

Mark
  • Options
    Perhaps I spoke too soon. KC still lost last night but they were able to muster up 2 runs. Looks like the offense is turning it around.
    Travis
  • Options
    Gordon's been hitting a bit better lately, back up around .200, and a nice hr last night.

Unfortunately Sweeney had to leave the game with... image Back spasms? Someone please pick my jaw up off the floor.
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps I spoke too soon. KC still lost last night but they were able to muster up 2 runs. Looks like the offense is turning it around. >>

They go on another losing streak every time you revive this thread! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Perhaps I spoke too soon. KC still lost last night but they were able to muster up 2 runs. Looks like the offense is turning it around. >>

They go on another losing streak every time you revive this thread! image >>

They go on another losing streak every time they win a game. image

I'm just doing my part to make sure we can continue to build through high draft picks.
    Travis
  • Options
    Wow! 17 runs again and it's only the 6th inning.

I've been telling you guys all year, you can't stop this offense. image
    Travis
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Wins against Kip Wells don't count. That guy's a freakin' joke.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kip Wells seems like a nice guy and all, but when is enough, enough. They had better release him before it gets worse. Bring up Reyes and a few prospects and let them get beat up. At least they would be learning on the job and be ahead of the curve.

Shane

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Sadly, I was at that game last night. I swear, if he pitches another inning for us, I'm going to immolate myself in front of Busch.

Oh well, the club is getting what it deserves. When you refuse to open the purse strings - besides on the misguided Edmonds contract - after filling a new stadium night after night and winning the World Series and try to piece together a rotation on the cheap, you're going to get these results.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    So apparently I missed it over the weekend where the Royals almost traded for Milton Bradley. MILTON BRADLEY?! What part of rebuilding a young core of non PITA players does Milton Bradley fit into?

I know if I were re-building, the first thing I would do is bring in a cancerous, malcontent to influence all the young players on my team, because my manager, who won't be back next year, wants him.

In other news, KC is almost out of the cellar. The White Sox fire sale can't get here fast enough.
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>I know if I were re-building, the first thing I would do is bring in a cancerous, malcontent to influence all the young players on my team, because my manager, who won't be back next year, wants him.
    . >>

Sounds like Isiah Thomas is on retainer as a consultant to the Royals -- or was it Matt Millen?
  • Options
    Well, the Royals have been playing better lately so I thought I'd look up some of their season totals

18th in the majors in batting

17th in Era

Have a better winning pct than 6 teams

Currently on pace to lose only 92 games

Those #'s probably don't impress many, but for a team that has lost 100 games 4 of the past 5 years, it is definitely a sign of hope when there had been none. Alex Gordon is starting to hit the ball well. Billy Butler has shown he can hang with the big league pitching. Brain Bannister has been a pleasant surprise. The bullpen has actually turned into the strong point of this team after being the most glaring hole for years.

I for one am absolutely pleased with what Dayton Moore has done with this ballclub (except for the Milton Bradley thing). The farm system is being rebuilt, and the big league club is starting to become a real big league club with legitimate names. There has definitely been a much more positive attitude in the past year since he came aboard.

This offseason, I look for him to pick up another $10-12 million guy (Andruw Jones has gotten a lot cheaper lately), continue to develop the young guys, and I think they have a real shot at getting close to .500 next year.
    Travis
  • Options
    I agree Dayton Moore has done a nice job so far. And I think the Royals can still get to .500 this year, they're 29-27 the last 56 games, so they just have to step it up a little bit more. The most obvious move this offseason is that the overpaid, always injured Sweeney won't be back. It'll be nice to get rid of his salary.

You were right about Gordon, they stuck with him and he started to hit. I still think Butler should have been in KC the whole year, he would easily be leading the team in RBI.
  • Options
    Grienke has been effective in a relief role, very Papelbon-like. Perhaps he should be converted to a closer instead of a making him starter again.
  • Options
    KC- Another great job by the bullpen. Nice to take two in a row from the Red Sox after losing the first one. I think the Royals are gaining a lot of confidence by playing so well against the best teams.
  • Options
    Billy Butler has me pumped. I know he's only got 30 games under his belt, but he has a sweet swing. The kind that wins batting & home run titles. And 21 years old!

With regards to Sweeney, I wouldn't mind seeing him come back. He is the captain after all, and if they were able to get him for $3-4 million, I think he would be worth it for a veteran leader to help groom some of these guys. 5 years ago he was one of the best hitters in the league, and should have plenty of knowledge to spread.
    Travis
  • Options
    Another 4 hits by Billy Butler as KC beats Detroit
    Travis
  • Options
    Those four hits by Butler are four more nails in Mike Sweeney's coffin.

I like Sweeney too, he always has a positive attitude and I'm sure he's a good influence on the young guys. But we can't afford to pay a guy $11 million a year when he's hurt most of the time and past his prime. There won't be room for Sweeney in KC next year with Butler there for the whole year.
  • Options
    Whoops, sorry KC, I skipped over the part where you said you wouldn't mind signing Sweeney if he takes a huge pay cut. Maybe that would be okay, but I bet he still wouldn't play much next year unless some of the young guys got injured.