Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Roosevelt dime Ebay bidding question for Registry Members.

Hello Roosevelt Dime Folks.

Back in the old days when the Mercury Dime folks were putting their sets together when a coin came up on Ebay that more than one member needed or wanted it was sort of a rule that some members would back off from bidding and let the guy that needed it the most go after the coin. Sometimes the unwritten rule would not work because some of the early dates came up maybe once a year and that was it. When this happened it was "May the Highest Bidder" win. With Roosevelts the coins are pretty much available with no real stoppers that only come up once a year. With the previous statements in mind here are a couple of questions that are put forth. Lets hear your truthful opinions.

When you see a member bidding on a coin that you want for one reason or another do you bid or back off ? Do you bid if the coin is just something you like but does not stand a chance of being in your set ? When does your "May the Highest Bidder Win" mentality come into effect with you ?

Right now two coins are on Ebay that look very desirable with bids from members. With the availabilty of Roosevelt dimes I see no reason to bid against the members and just run the price up. If the member falls out of the bidding before the coin hits my personal max then I would say at that stage the coin is fair game. Does that make any sense at all?

Cheers and Happy Hunting.

Ken

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

That makes sence to me. Although I don't that many of the bidders names, so most of the time I don't know who I am bidding against.

I'm not really looking for Roosies right now, so I guess this is a moot point.

Someday I MIGHT want to up my silver roosies to 67.

Jon
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    May the highest bidder win. Some of the FB dates are not readily available. I recently
    lost a key date FB Roosie on ebay to a board member because I was hoping he didn't
    see the auction. I tried to steal the coin. I lost it and immediately offered the winner
    $500 more then he paid. He kept the coin. As far as running the price up, I have no
    problem with that as long as the bidder running the price up is willing to pay for it.

Just to give fair warning since you posted about a couple Roosies on ebay. I have a snipe
    bid in on the 46-S and 55-S. Once I enter a snipe bid I never go back to the auction
    to see who is bidding on the coin.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just to give fair warning since you posted about a couple Roosies on ebay. I have a snipe
    bid in on the 46-S and 55-S. Once I enter a snipe bid I never go back to the auction
    to see who is bidding on the coin. >>

BIG image Well. There are two 55S coins on Ebay right now that you could possibly be bidding on. One was on Ebay last week and received no bids so I say that is not the one the snipe is set on. The other one is quite ugly so you would not bid on it either. Hmmm.....I'm lost. The 46S is pretty and I put a low ball bid on it because really the coin is not needed and the 67 I have is just as pretty. Your snipe will get me for sure.

May the Best Bid Prevail.....image

Ken
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to avoid Roosies and/or other coins when I know that a good friend/board member is wanting/bidding on that coin. I try to be cordgial(sp), except where Keith is bidding...I always run his a$$ up! image

Later, Paul.

P.S. I will in the future try to avoid $229.95 BIN's on eBay! imageimage

Later, Paul.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>P.S. I will in the future try to avoid $229.95 BIN's on eBay! imageimage >>

Paul.....Now that is FUNNY after the abuse you took the other day on the coin forum. Sense of humor you also have....image

Ken
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    When I see a roosie I want -- I'll push REALLY hard to win it -- even better if Nick wants it!!!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    I sold some nice semi-key date roosies on ebay last year and I wish the price had run up a bit. image

• MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Jon has a coin in his set that would have upgraded the coin I have in my set. When I seen that Jon was bidding on it I let it go, 1830/29 au-50. Althought I did not bid on the coin Jon still had to out bid others who wanted the coin. Fred

Items for sale
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    The Rosy collector world is relatively small and a goodly number of those collectors are members here and/or on the other side of the street. For me, its a 2-tier market. There are collectors I know very well and for whom I will not seriously bid on a coin if they bidding. I say seriously for a reason - say a coin is worth $500 and I see another collector has bid and the bidding is at $125.....I have no problem bidding $250 or $300 for that coin. If I become high bidder, so be it - a deal is a deal. If my bidding pushes the price up - so be it - the coin is still a relative bargin at that point for whomever bids thereafter.

Its such a small world that I commonly bid against other ebayers that buy from me. However, where I dig deep and bid strongly, I seldom bid against other collectors - most of whom are Registry set type collectors. Fortunately, rainbowroosie and I have different looks we bid on and we seldom cross paths.....keeps us from spending moon money trying to outbid each other!

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Craig,

I couldn't have said it any better, except for the rainbowroosie part. When I see Bill
    bidding I always bid the coin to moon money......image

imagerainbowroosie
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I couldn't have said it any better, except for the rainbowroosie part. >>

Glad I wasn't included in all of this...I'm just a small fry collector not worthy of running up.image

Although, I would echo Craig's response. I won't usually bid against a fellow Roosie fan unless it's a date/coin I really want.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Nick,
    Vito's Chop House serves Kistler...let's make our FUN reservations now!!!image

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003