Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Its been 5 years since FB for Roosies...

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
What percentage of Roosies (Silver & Clad) graded before 04/01/03 are still in their original slabs un-designated?

Discuss...

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have no idea but this one isn't.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably over half of my silver are in holders before the desig started.image Just haven't had the time or desire to check them. I'm not sure I have the eye for it. Maybe I should have stooge look at them.imageimage

Jon
  • Options
    well Danny has several complete sets in 67 and who knows how many total silvers
    tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it really matters. The tough dates have been established. Even if there
    are a few 57P's in MS67 holders out there that are FB it will remain a key date.

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the reverse of a 48D that has a slab number starting with 775. Was it slabbed over 4 years ago ? If not then really what is the point of the Roosevelt full band designation if this one did not make the grade.

I'm with Dimeman on the FB designation for Roosevelts and Mercs. Whats the point when you can find 95% FB coins for way less money. I will admit that it is fun getting a FB coin slabbed.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>well Danny has several complete sets in 67 and who knows how many total silvers
    tim >>

Tim, I've been trying and trying to get Danny to designate even just a handful of key-date/MM Roosies, but he still hasn't. He was really up-set that PCGS gave us Roosie collectors no warning as to switching out non-FB dimes for FB. He said that he had dimes in his set that matched well, while not looking at FB's.

He mentioned that he wants to send some in, but to date hasn't.

Come on Danny!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    4 years? That is when I got into the roosie collecting. June 10, 2004 was my first roosie purchase. 48-S67FB. Paid 112 dollars.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...thanks for the info in the OP, Paul.
    I didn't know that....something for me to keep a better eye open for.

That said, is it just me and my area up here or are there very few Roosies, particularly toned ones, in slabs (I don't mind raw but am wondering about slabs on this one)?
    Went to our larger show up here (the PNNA show in Seattle area) last weekend and didn't see ONE single toned Roosie in a slab. Only saw a couple of handfuls period. Bought a handful of raw toned ones, but even then, there weren't a lot.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm...thanks for the info in the OP, Paul.
    I didn't know that....something for me to keep a better eye open for.

That said, is it just me and my area up here or are there very few Roosies, particularly toned ones, in slabs (I don't mind raw but am wondering about slabs on this one)?
    Went to our larger show up here (the PNNA show in Seattle area) last weekend and didn't see ONE single toned Roosie in a slab. Only saw a couple of handfuls period. Bought a handful of raw toned ones, but even then, there weren't a lot. >>

Some people hoard them.....image

Ken
  • Options
    Opps. I guess I can't add. Only been three years.image

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul's comments bring up a broader question that interests me: Do you think PCGS's decision to certify Roosie's as FB has been helpful or harmful to collecting Roosies? That is, do you think the community of Roosie collectors has been made better off or worse off from PCGS's (and NGC's similar) decision to differentiate between FB and non-FB Roosies?
    Mark

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Well, if you like "full strike" coins, it really cuts down on the crud to look through image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the FB designation did was make the better struck coins more expensive. You used to could look thru coins and pick out the good ones for the same price as the so so coins. Now if you have a good eye it cost you more...............sometimes way way way more!!

Personally I look for the coins that are well struck but no FB on the slab. Points don't matter to me. I would rather have a MS67 than A MS65FB. ANYDAY!!!!!

Jon
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think PCGS's decision to certify Roosie's as FB has been helpful or harmful to collecting Roosies? That is, do you think the community of Roosie collectors has been made better off or worse off from PCGS's (and NGC's similar) decision to differentiate between FB and non-FB Roosies? >>

Mark, I think it has made it better. Drizzt states:

<< <i>Well, if you like "full strike" coins, it really cuts down on the crud to look through >>

I was a serious novice to collecting Roosevelt Dimes. I bought and didn't pay any attention to the bands. I had a couple MS67's in my set and they not only had no FB's but some were missing the entire bottom of the torch. No vertical lines, no uni-band, no knob, nothing just smooooooooothness. They looked horrible.

Definately it has made me a better collector.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

I probably would have never started collecting roosies if it were not for the full bands designation.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I prefer FB's, but not to the point I would put a skunky one in place of a nice 67 or 68.
    And beleive me there have been a few fugggggly ones found in 64/65/66FB.
    And lets face it, there are a few years where FB's are rare and a nice clean well struck MS68 is great to have. image
    Dan
  • Options
    I recently started to collect Old Green Holders and Rattlers in MS66 for the silvers. Alot of these look good, and still have FB's un-designated.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I guess it has been 6 years nowimage