Home Metal Detecting

Another first for me today!

Today Johnny (TuscaloosaJohnny) and I went detecting at this sweet old lady's house who is the neighbor of Professor Allaway's where we detected on Wednesday. Her house was built in the 20s or 30s, but the yard ended up being a bust for us. There were false signals everywhere. Johnny managed a clad dime and I found 2 Memorial cents and a 1944 wheatie.
I also found this (with quarter for comparison):

The front says "Pull" and has a hole all the way through, almost like a keyhole.

The back has what looks like 8 hook attachments and says "PAT. Jan 13, 1924" above the keyhole.

Anyone have an idea what this is?

Next we decided to go back to Professor Allaway's backyard and look around. I found a few wheaties and then moved back to the front yard where I found all of the silver on Wednesday. I wanted to see what I had missed before and concentrate on the signals in the nickel range. The first target I dug is a red, crusty nickel...could it be my first Buffalo Nickel!?

Nope, not this time. What adds insult to injury is that this nickel is a 42-D and I've never found a Silver War Nickel.....right year at least.
Okay, I continue on and find some wheaties here and there and then another nickel signal... I dig down 4 inches and out pops another red, crusty disc...could this be it!?

Yes! I finally found my first Buffalo Nickel (1937), just as Mr. Swami predicted last night! He also predicted a worn out Barber dime in my future. Both couldn't happen today could they...?

Well, not quite, but my next target was a 1940 Mercury dime about 4 inches down and right next to a hole I dug yesterday. It gave a penny signal on the detector...first time I've ever dug a silver dime from a penny signal. Lordmarcovan's predictions are eerily good! What's next for me, Swami? After a few more wheaties, we called it a day. This yard has been very, very kind to me! Sorry I didn't have any action shots, but I haven't been bringing my camera lately because I thought it was a jinx at the first few houses we detected at this year.
I lust for silver.
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Congrats on the great finds. Those buffalos do come out of the ground all rusted up. Still, you're finding old coins and there are probably others there too. Don't know what the "key hole" thing is. Sure is interesting though.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • >>"key hole" thing<<
    Could that be a snap off an old tarp/cover?

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Is this your find:

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Thanks CofC! You nailed it. I just hopped over to Treasurenet where I had posted it and someone there also identified it as a snap. Looks like WWII era I'm guessing.

This pic is of an army pouch from 1944.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quote from yours truly, just last night:

<< <i>Y'all have yourself a little hotspot, there!

The Swami says there is more silver in both Kampis brothers' near futures.

My crystal ball is not showing silver at the moment, though- you are gonna get some, but the crystal ball is cloudy... wait!

I see a coin, but it isn't silver... it's kind of reddish and crusty... but it has a buffalo on it! >>

imageimageimage

That is eerie! I impress even myself! I didn't know I was a Swami until now! Wow, wow, and wow.

I guess this means you should be expecting a 1912 Barber dime within the next month or so. I didn't expect the Buffalo prophecy to be fulfilled in less than 24 hours!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Well it did take 9 months for the SLQ prophecy to come true...image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage

<< <i>Easy, sonny- you rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I don't want any trouble mister...no rotten miracles please.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finds.... congrats.... worth another pass... and if that good.. must be something next door. Cheers, RickO
  • Great digs....Congratulations.
  • Congrats!

I'd keep after that area!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • An action shot, you say? Here is Steven detecting in his silver yard of dreams.

Who lusts for silver? I lust for gold.
    That yard does look rather... silvery.

• It was, dunno if it still is. Hope there is some stuff still there.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • We went over it again last week. I think it's about hunted out... image
    Who lusts for silver? I lust for gold.