Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal detector picture on website Los Angeles

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
A German man put together this website dedicated to the city of Los Angeles.
The metal detector photograph was probably taken at Santa Monica beach.

http://you-are-here.com/street/search.html

He took the photographs, mostly of buildings.
The site was written up recently in the Los Angeles Times.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    Can you see why we need to refill the hole we dig. EVEN AT THE BEACH ! ! !

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Looks like he needs pointers on how to fill in his holes when finished.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Jerry beat me to it!
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    That's really sloppy! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Cool pic Willie... was it taken from the top of a pier?

I think the treasure hunter code of ethics talks about what the others are saying here...
    something like ~leaving no trace after we detect (that would include filling holes at the beach).

Even though the beach/surf will eventually fill those, people could complain about the "eye sore" or a jogger could twist an ankle... Yes, I know, even a child making a sand castle could dig a hole that could lead to a twisted ankle, but we should try to protect our hobby (and its image) and err on the side of caution. image Just my 2 cents... and notice the other recent thread about the bill in Oregon trying to get rid of detecting. There are just too many out there that want an excuse to complain and eliminate detecting. What do you think?

Someone have the code of ethics handy? (don't remember the exact wording)

• Options
    thought I'd link it in here... image

• Options

<< <i>Someone have the code of ethics handy? >>

How about the 10 commandments.

Ten Commandments of Metal Detecting

These are the statutes, judgments and edicts which must be obeyed by all those who wield detectors of metal:

1. Thou shalt not leave behind unfilled excavations.

2. Thou shalt not trespass or defy in any way the lawful decrees of thy city, county, state, province or country.

3. Thou shalt not harm vegetation, the creatures of the field, natural resources or the personal property of others.

4. Thou shalt not covet the finds of thy companion. Nor shall ye covet his metal detector, digging tool or the hallowed place in which he diggeth.

5. Thou shalt not ignore nor neglect thy family and friends whilst in the endless pursuit of thy hobby.

6. Thou shalt assist the distraught owners of lost goods and the archeologists and the enforcers of law and all others who may need thy skill as a metal detectorist.

7. Thou shalt return found treasures to the proper owners whenever their true identity can be rightfully determined.

8. Thou shalt report to the proper authorities any find relating to criminal activity or of archeological significance.

9. Thou shalt be considerate of others on the beach and in other public places whilst waving thy search coil and digging holes in the sand and the soil.

10. Thou shalt speak out against the unjust laws and stand firm against the Philistines who would cast out all those who would use detectors of metal.

And if thou dost not abide by these Commandments, may you be plagued with mineral - bearing rocks, hard packed soil, pestilence, serpents, locusts, poisonous vegetation and great multitudes of pull-tabs, bottlecaps and rusty nails. May ye spend the remaining years of thy wretched life digging signals of false origins. For thy iniquities shall surely bring the overzealous wrath of the ignorant, heathen bureaucrats down upon those of us who are innocent. For we are the righteous and the just and ye who do not obey the Ten Commandments of Metal Detecting are doomed to bad luck.

-Author Unknown
    imageimage
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just posted the website picture because I thought it was relative to metal detecting.

I am not the guy who put together the website (he is a German tourist).

I didn't know it would raise an ethics question.

It is possible that the beach metal detector guy would have filled in the holes after the picture was taken.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the tide was coming in, Mother Nature would've covered those holes very soon anyway.

But yeah, I agree- one should fill holes, even at the beach. I have been sloppy like that on the beach a time or two, I'll admit, but this was in the middle of the night when I had the place to myself and I knew the incoming tide would not only cover my holes, but make the entire beach disappear by sunup. (On parts of St. Simons Island, the high tide reaches a seawall, and the beaches on the southern end of the island vanish completely.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>I just posted the website picture because I thought it was relative to metal detecting. I am not the guy who put together the website (he is a German tourist). I didn't know it would raise an ethics question. It is possible that the beach metal detector guy would have filled in the holes after the picture was taken. image >>

Hello Willie, Don't think we are bagging on you! It is just a good photo to make a point with. The comments are for ALL of us to learn/remember to cover our diggs.

Thank You for the photo!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good picture to learn from... fill those holes.... we receive enough criticism - albeit mostly unwarranted. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone have the code of ethics handy? >>

How about the 10 commandments.

6. Thou shalt assist the distraught owners of lost goods and the archeologists and the enforcers of law and all others who may need thy skill as a metal detectorist.

7. Thou shalt return found treasures to the proper owners whenever their true identity can be rightfully determined.

8. Thou shalt report to the proper authorities any find relating to criminal activity or of archeological significance.

9. Thou shalt be considerate of others on the beach and in other public places whilst waving thy search coil and digging holes in the sand and the soil.

10. Thou shalt speak out against the unjust laws and stand firm against the Philistines who would cast out all those who would use detectors of metal.

I think these were meant thou shall, not i shalt as this means shall not. FYI

Text