Home Metal Detecting

Thanks to goldrush00013 and others

I'd like to thank everybody on this board that has helped with my decision of which detector to buy as my first detector. I also want to thank goldrush00013 for responding to my WTB thread yesterday. He directed me to a site that I'm sure you all are familiar with but I hadn't been to before, treasurenet.com. Not only did he link me to a local club, but also I found a pretty good deal in the classified board there. Suncoast Detectors in Florida had 2 Garrett Ace 250's that was used by the store owner's sister 2 or 3 times. Being that they are a Garrett dealer, the detectors came with the full manufacture warranty and at used prices. On top of that, they where throwing in the headphones and jack that her sister used with them. Total cost $188 after shipping. My only concern was I had decided if/when I got one, I would buy the larger coil. This came with the smaller coil so I wasn't sure.

So to shorten the story, I'm the proud owner of an almost new Garrett Ace 250. While I'm sure others have gotten better deals on one of these, I'm fine with the package/price I got. Can't wait for it to be delivered and hopefully I'll be so proficient at it that I'm asked to be a digger/alternate digger on VTH IVimage

Rob

I believe I need to start asking for permission on a few places...any advice?

4/92
4/123
-----------
Invested $216.76
Return on Investment $0.68
Found but keeping $.15

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This MD forum is a bathtub. Small, but warm and comfy.

Treasurenet is the Pacific Ocean, by comparison.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe I need to start asking for permission on a few places...any advice? >>

I'm too shy to do it much, which is why I have hunted the same old hammered-out parks and sidewalk strips for over a decade, again and again, and again. They're still producing, but the returns are smaller (literally- the remaining targets are usually very small or very deep, or both).

I sure wish I had the gall to knock on some doors in Old Town and get into some of those virgin yards. The yards in the Victorian part of town can make a believer out of you, quick. Some are complete waste of time, to be sure, but when you hit the right one, the silver and wheaties and goodies come fast n' furious. If you get on a site where you are diggin't six or eight wheaties an hour, the silver ain't far behind, not to mention the Indian Heads and the Buffaloes.

Do a little local homework, and search for goldrush's thread about the old Sanborn insurance maps. If you can get old insurance maps from the late 1800s and early 1900s for your town, you will see where the buildings stood. In many cases, if your town has a historic district where the old Victorian homes are, the buildings are right where they were a century or more ago. Pay close attention to the public places like sidewalk and median strips and parks in these districts, too. Sometimes they are not as hot as the yards, because they've been searched before, but if you are lucky enough to be the first one to try 'em, you will do well indeed.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • That's cool Rob!
    Glad I could help.

<< <i>Not only did he link me to a local club, but also I found a pretty good deal in the classified board there. >>

Congrats! I knew there had to be a club down your way.
    I saw those 250's last night..great deal!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage

• << <i>Do a little local homework, and search for goldrush's thread about the old Sanborn insurance maps. >>

Link to Sanborn Maps

When you get to the link type "residence" in the user name box.
    Then type "welcome" in the password box and log in.

Pick your state and city and check out the maps.
    They are a really valuable resource to find where the old buildings and such were.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldrush.. how does one join the Sanborn site?... I see the login.. but have never been there.. and no way to 'join' on the page.. Cheers, RickO

• << <i>Goldrush.. how does one join the Sanborn site?... I see the login.. but have never been there.. and no way to 'join' on the page.. Cheers, RickO >>

Rick, Read this: <FONT face=Tahoma color=#000080>Link to Sanborn Maps</FONT>

>>When you get to the link type "residence" in the user name box.
    Then type "welcome" in the password box and log in.<<

Type in: residence
    Then type: welcome
    You are then in ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>This MD forum is a bathtub. Small, but warm and comfy. >>

Watch out for those bubbles! image