Home Metal Detecting
Options

A banner day for the Kampis Bros.

I asked the head of my graduate marketing program if I could look around his yard. His house dates back to 1935 and he has lived there for a couple of years. So Steven (SilverDreams) and I headed over there this morning for a day of detecting. I claimed the backyard (with a clothesline) and he took the front.

After about 15 minutes of fruitless search under the clothesline, I saw Steven headed toward me. He showed me a 1950 Roosevelt. He went back to the front and I continued my search. Finally, after about an hour I picked up a nice 81-82 signal on the XLT and dug a 1956 dime. I texted Steven about it and he just replied, "nice," so I figured he had found nothing else. (Oh, was I wrong image) I continued my sweep of the backyard and came up with a 1952 Roosevelt that I scratched good with my digger and a 1940 Mercury. Three dimes in a day when I had found only two total silver coins ever. Obviously, I was pleased.

I finished my sweep of the backyard and headed to the front to beemingly show Steven my finds, but I quickly got one upped. He dug three Roosevelts and a Standing Liberty Quarter with the date worn off. Seven silvers in a day between us! In three hours, no less. Dr. Allaway got us permission to hunt the yard behind his, which is both older and larger. Unfortunately, we got rained out this afternoon but we shall return soon, very soon... image
Who lusts for silver? I lust for gold.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great day.... lots of silver... good hunting on the next lot. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Today was quite a day for both of us. Johnny found 3 silver dimes and more than doubled his young career total. I had 2 small goals heading into this year: 1) Find more than one silver coin in a day and 2) Find a silver quarter. Out of the 14 silver coins (12 dimes and 2 WLHs) I had amazingly never found more than one in a single day of detecting!

All that was about to change today. Within 30 minutes of detecting I found the 1950-D Roosevelt and after maybe another 15 minutes I got a strong quarter signal around 4 inches deep. Now most of the soil in the yard was soft and sandy-like, but this particular spot was hard and clay-like. The signal kept moving on me and finally I found it. Not only was it a quarter, but it was my first silver quarter! A dateless Standing Liberty that I put a nice scratch on. Oh well, it was dateless and I'm still excited it was my first silver quarter and a SLQ to boot! As I recall, this past summer when I found my 2nd WLH, lordmarcovan had said he saw a Standing Liberty Quarter in my future. I believe our forum has its own little Swami!

After another 2 hours of searching, the heavy rains promised for the day had moved in and we had to call it quits. I had found 2 more silver Roosevelts, a 1947-D and a 1953. That brought my total to 4 silver coins and quadrupled my silver total for any previous day! The yard was relatively clean of junk, although we did find a good bit. It had a higher cooncentration of older stuff which was very nice. I found $1.49 total (3 quarters - 2 clad, 1 silver) (6 dimes - 3 clad, 3 silver) and (14 pennies - 6 Memorial, 8 Wheaties ranging from 1925-1953). Ok, enough of the story, here are a couple of pics of the silver.

I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice work guys!

SD those SLQ's are tough to find!
    I'm very envious!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    mmmmmm, silver!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on, come all! Step right up! See the Fabulous Flying Kampis Brothers! Thrills! Chills! Excitement! SILVER! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    After careful scrutiny under a magnifier, I'm calling the SLQ a 1917 Type II. I can make out the faint outlines of a "7" as the last digit.
    Yep, under really good light I can see that it is!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Here are a couple of pics of Johnny's finds from today. He got a 1940 Merc., 1952-D and 1956-D Roosevelts.

I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Y'all have yourself a little hotspot, there!

The Swami says there is more silver in both Kampis brothers' near futures.

My crystal ball is not showing silver at the moment, though- you are gonna get some, but the crystal ball is cloudy... wait!

I see a coin, but it isn't silver... it's kind of reddish and crusty... but it has a buffalo on it!

Dig those weird signals.

(Edited because The Swami is a crappy typist, not because he is changing his predictions.) image

Oh, and to add my swami token, of course.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Wait... there IS some silver in the crystal ball! I see it!

Cloudy... cloudy... wait, a picture is forming... I see...a dime!

A Barber dime! Well worn but old!

From the 'teens.

1912, maybe? I can't make out the date.

• Options
    We are hitting the neighbor's yard tomorrow...and it is a bit older....so could the Swami be correct?
    Who lusts for silver? I lust for gold.