Home Metal Detecting
Options

Help! Hand Detectors

I'm a beginner and thinking of purchasing a Hand Detector(pointer).

Is the Garrett Security Detector Modell 11651 good one? I'm looking on Ebay and also was wondering what a good price would be.

Thanks for any input!!!!!

Rich

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I'm a beginner and thinking of purchasing a Hand Detector(pointer). Is the Garrett Security Detector Modell 11651 good one? I'm looking on Ebay and also was wondering what a good price would be. Thanks for any input!!!!! Rich >>

What do you want to use it for?

http://www.intapol.com/police-security/equipment/accessories/product.php?product=garrett-metal-detector&productid=19245&cat=274&page=1

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hi Jerry! I'll be using it with my Metal Detector when digging up coins, etc.
    Rich
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>Hi Jerry! I'll be using it with my Metal Detector when digging up coins, etc.
    Rich >>

The Whites Bullseye seems to be a popular choice, however there are many different types out there.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I think the Garrett you've looked at is more meant for scanning people (for security purposes) than as a pinpointer.

Here are some examples of models that should be better suited for you: Kellyco
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Zot said. Get something designed for the purpose- you'll be able to get it down into a hole better, and you won't waste money on something unsuited for your needs.

By all means get a security handheld if you're frisking felons for hidden weapons, but if you are trying to pinpoint deep Indian head pennies at the bottom of a hole, get something more like what DesertRat or Zot linked to. I used to use a Tinytec deluxe and have owned two of them. They are nice inexpensive probes but twice now I have had issues with the buzzer on them becoming nearly inaudible- I guess they're cheap because they use cheap parts. They're worth the money but I wonder if something like the Bullseye wouldn't be a better choice.

I also have a Sun-Ray Invader built-in/inline probe for my Garrett GTI-2500. It clips on the shaft of my detector and uses the detector's power supply and discrimination settings, etc. It was expensive but would've been worth it if it worked properly. When it was working, it was really great to have, but unfortunately, I am having issues with it, too, and so I am in the frustrating position of owning two probes (one expensive and one cheap), neither of which are working properly. At least I got my money's worth out of the cheap Tinytec.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I use the Bullseye and have been very pleased with it.
    One should remember, however, that they are meant to be pinpointers - not digging tools...
    I broke one after I had repeatedly used it for digging (after having pinpointed the target)... which can be very tempting sometimes imageimage
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend the DX-1... what MD are you using?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Rick - I have a new Bounty Hunter(Prospector) that was returned to MFG for repair! I used it 3-4 times in my backyard. I went to a local MD shop and was told the toner/descriminator does not work!!!! Nice! It is only 2yrs old! As you can tell I'm a true beginner! I'm anxious to get out - just don't know where! I'm also thinking of upgrading to a more user friendly MD that has a better viewer so I know what I'm looking for rather than trying to decifer the object by tone! Money of course an issue. I was shown a Garrett that I like with a MFR of $245 that I can get for $190. I know the pointers can be expensive too. This dealer has the Whites pointer for $75 - I'll probably go with that. Well, that enough - I've got more threads to read!!! Really enjoy them. My MD has been repaired and should be here in a day or two. One nice thing about the Bounty Hunter is it is Warranted for 5yrs!!!! Rich
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK.. go with what you have.. and the bullseye... as you progress, you may upgrade... just so you are having fun and finding 'stuff'.. HH, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    >> rather than trying to decifer the object by tone!<<

Hi Rich, Don't over look "tone ID" so easy. It can be a good thing. It might take a little time to get used to it.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage