Home Metal Detecting
Options

My First Post Here (detecting) / maybe COOL find

I have NO experience detecting. In fact, I don't own a detector (yet). But this last week while out at a very large complex for my daughters softball practice I decided to go for a walk and as usual take the time to look around to see if I can find anything.

Check out these pics. It passes all the preliminary tests of a meteorite. I'm awaiting a response from a university for confirmation testing. While its not real big as you can see; the little thing weighs almost 13 ounces; easily holds a magnet; either attracts or repels a compass depending on which end you point at the compass. It has a fusion crust with every edge rounded or melted. There are some tiny "rust" spots on it. It looks like a rock and is not iron slag. While not a coin, it was a pretty exciting find for me. I imagined that with you all using your detectors maybe you run across these from time to time; that is why I'm posting it here.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it in a crater? image

Cool find man!
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    That is VERY cool. Let us know if you find out for sure!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super find... if it is a meteorite, you have a really great treasure. Although valuable (to collectors etc), I would assume it holds much greater value to you ( it sure would to me). Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    that little buggar would probably blow your earphones right off of you would sweep across it with your detector.

nice find. hope it's not radioactive. keep us posted.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    sweet find
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find.
    Al
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>I'm awaiting a response from a university for confirmation testing. >>

Keep us postedimage
  • Options
    Not to burst your bubble, but if that rock is that big and weighs only 13 ounces I doubt it's a meteorite. Space rocks tend to be very dense. A meteroite that big would probably weight at least 10 lbs. Of course, I'm no meteorite expert, but that's what I've always read and heard about them.
    Who lusts for silver? I lust for gold.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about entering this in the Relic/Other category of the March polls for you, since you didn't post it there. (You might not be aware of the monthly award polls yet).

However, we'll await the response from the university testing. Even though it is a March find, I don't see a problem with you entering it in the April awards because of the lag time of the testing involved.

I hope it turns out to be something cool!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    No offense but I don't want to be entered into the contests. It wouldn't really be fair as I am not someone who goes out looking for things as you all do. I maybe just got lucky. I did hear from the guy at NASA already and he's recommended a Professor in New Mexico to use for the actual testing / analysis. So far its passing muster... The actual results from testing can take from a month to a year I'm told image

As far as the weight; the poster was correct that meteorites are heavy for their size. The 13 ounces for the volume of this rock IS very heavy and easily puts it in the range one would expect for an Iron/Nickel meteorite. Its just a little bigger than a golf ball and weighs just under a pound.

• Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    I've got one just like it. How much is the testing at the university?

Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    Lordmarcovan said

<< <i>I thought about entering this in the Relic/Other category of the March polls for you >>

Wouldn't this be a wildcard find since he didn't find it with a detector?

Richardshipp said

<< <i>No offense but I don't want to be entered into the contests. It wouldn't really be fair as I am not someone who goes out looking for things as you all do. I maybe just got lucky. >>

I don't have a detector yet but have been reading this board enough to know that anything found by the majority of these people is just simply luck.image I'd say the only two that really knows what they are doing is Zot and Crockofcoins.image

Rob

I believe most people will realize I was only joking.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options

<< <i>I've got one just like it. How much is the testing at the university? >>

I'm waiting to hear back from the guy in New Mexico. Before you send it they ask you to do a test for Nickel. You can buy the tests on line for about $40 bucks. I found one (someone else recommended) at a CVS pharmacy. It's a "nickel alergy test"; it tests for the presence of nickel. If your rock has pretty much the same characteristics as the one I found and has enough nickel that shows up in these tests (the test swab will turn reddish) then likely it is a meteorite. The universities will tell you the exact composition; classify and certify it. Depending on what classification it is (if it is a meteorite) they can be worth anywhere from 5 cents to 5 dollars a gram. One guy has already offered me $300 for mine, but I'll likely just keep it as I think its pretty cool to have found it in the first place. image

Good luck on yours.

• Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    TextOne guy has already offered me $300

I guess so, at $5.00 a gram yours would run around $1,800 if genuine. More if it has that particular eye appeal someone who collects tham is looking for
  • Options
    I too have an interesting rock. It is small enough to hold in the palm of my hand, but is very heavy. It is very dark gray, almost black, and has obviously been melted at one point in its history. It has sort of a metallic, glittery look to it, and when water gets on it the water sizzles. It's done that ever since I found the rock as a kid. I've never tried using a magnet on it, though.
    Bob
  • Options
    Sorry about that. I thought it looked pretty big relative to the size of the keyboard in the photo. Didn't realize it was golf ball sized. You may have a winner!
    Who lusts for silver? I lust for gold.
  • Options

<< <i>I too have an interesting rock. It is small enough to hold in the palm of my hand, but is very heavy. It is very dark gray, almost black, and has obviously been melted at one point in its history. It has sort of a metallic, glittery look to it, and when water gets on it the water sizzles. It's done that ever since I found the rock as a kid. I've never tried using a magnet on it, though. >>

sizzles....... imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I too have an interesting rock. It is small enough to hold in the palm of my hand, but is very heavy. It is very dark gray, almost black, and has obviously been melted at one point in its history. It has sort of a metallic, glittery look to it, and when water gets on it the water sizzles. It's done that ever since I found the rock as a kid. I've never tried using a magnet on it, though. >>

sizzles....... imageimage >>

Yep... sizzles.

Bob