Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever heard of a cleaned coin such as a rare variety

gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
being turned into a pocket piece and eventually grading out at one of the top tpg's.

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question.
  • Options

<< <i>being turned into a pocket piece and eventually grading out at one of the top tpg's. >>

There was a guy that used to sell on Ebay from Hawaii that said he did that and it worked. But I always thought it would take several years to achieve so I did not place too much stock in the effectiveness of the method.

I often though someone could devise a vibrating machine that some how would wear down a harshly cleaned coin in a fairly short period of time. The object being to achieve a lower grade but with the natural smooth look instead of the harsh cleaning lines.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Turned into a pocket piece and then graded? No - can't say that I am aware of such an example.

Cracked from an NCS holder or removed from a BB flip, worked on or doctored and then graded by a TPG? Dozens if not hundreds of times, including a notable Gobrecht Dollar posted here within the last 2 months.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend got a BB for a light cleaning on a circ Lafayette dollar commem. He carried it in his pocket for a couple of months and was later able to get it slabbed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Sorry to go O/T - Perry Hall?? Maryland??
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry to go O/T - Perry Hall?? Maryland?? >>

Yup. Not my real name but where I live.

• Options
    It is common to put color on cleaned coins to get them thru the services. It's done daily. Turning a coin into a pocket piece? Waste of time and too big of a downgrade risk.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an extremely rare AU trade dollar variety that has light cleaning lines. I'm tempted to carry it in my pocket and turn it into an extremely rare XF trade dollar that's slabbable.
  • Options

<< <i>I have an extremely rare AU trade dollar variety that has light cleaning lines. I'm tempted to carry it in my pocket and turn it into an extremely rare XF trade dollar that's slabbable. >>

Why not? What have you got to lose?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better to put it in a vibratory cartridge cleaning device.. takes minutes and you have a submittable. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A friend got a BB for a light cleaning on a circ Lafayette dollar commem. He carried it in his pocket for a couple of months and was later able to get it slabbed. >>

If resubmitted without carrying it in his pocket, it might have slabbed anyway.
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I have an extremely rare AU trade dollar variety that has light cleaning lines. I'm tempted to carry it in my pocket and turn it into an extremely rare XF trade dollar that's slabbable.

Did you ever turn it into a pocket piece?

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2016 11:59AM

i think what trade dollar nut means is that cleaned "details" coins are usually valued in such way that if they were lower, straight-graded coins, they would be worth about the same...therefore, why go through the trouble?

if you have a cleaned coin you don't like...sell it.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

It can be done, you'll just lose a grade or two.
    I would not, however put in a tumbler or machine. Just regular pocket with other change and keys, etc.
    I'm convinced it would work.

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    null
    I'm in Maryland also.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I've heard of dealers who've bought rarer seated stuff that was cleaned, then "put them on ice" ie, put them in an envelope for a few years and after retoning a bit, they straight grade.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I carried a rather unattractive bust half as a pocket piece for about 3 months. It looked far better natural but wasn't a coin suitable for grading.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A vibratory cartridge cleaner with corncob media will remove evidence of cleaning (unless super harshly done) and residues.... it does not take long... .depending on the state of the coin, from minutes to a couple hours....and the coin will be submittable, albeit a lower grade........ above all.. .do not forget it in the machine... it will come out smooth. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just do it....

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file