Home Metal Detecting
Options

Do you swing both ways?

The detector sling post made me start wondering about this. Do you usually use your dominant arm for swinging the detector, your weaker arm, or do you swing both ways? I would think you would use your dominant arm, but at the same time, I could see using your weak arm.

Rob
4/92
4/123
-----------
Invested $216.76
Return on Investment $0.68
Found but keeping $.15

Comments

• Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    if this was'nt a detecting forum, i would think your asking about something else.image
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    I am a switch hitter. image
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

PS. Right hand only (dominant arm)
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    My first thought was "I beg your pardon!" lol I'm a leftie who isn't capable of swinging to the right. I think this is a good thing.. image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Ambitectorous, though I dig better with my left.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm right handed. I swing with the left and probe with the right. If I'm finding alot of stuff I don't switch because my arm is getting a break when I probe. If it's a slow day for finds I use the right when my left get's tired.
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    I swing with my left, drop the detector when I get a hit, dig with my left, probe with left, find the target, place it in left pocket, stand back up, tuck everything away and back to swingin' with the left. Spelling it out like this makes me tired!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    100% Right. I have tried with the left, Its awkward, slow and I don't feel I'm getting good coverage.
  • Options
    I swing and dig right. I use my probe with the left.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty much right-handed all the way. I carry my probe or shovel in my left hand but switch to my right for digging, after I set the detector down. I can swing the detector left-handed, and have on a few occasions when my right arm was really tired, but I don't swing very evenly with my left and it feels funny.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Ambitectorous, though I dig better with my left. >>

I swing it with both hands >;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I swing with my left, drop the detector when I get a hit, dig with my left, probe with left, find the target, place it in left pocket, stand back up, tuck everything away and back to swingin' with the left. Spelling it out like this makes me tired! >>

Mary you must walk in circle's thenimage

I'm a righty swing,dig and go.HH,Tom
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the right arm mainly.... if it gets tired I will switch off to the left. Equal success with either arm. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm pretty much right-handed all the way. I carry my probe or shovel in my left hand but switch to my right for digging, after I set the detector down. I can swing the detector left-handed, and have on a few occasions when my right arm was really tired, but I don't swing very evenly with my left and it feels funny. >>

That's sums up what I do almost exactly. I'm usually good for about 3 or 4 hours with the right, then it needs a break. I'll also switch to left if I'm moving fast to walk to another area to just sort of haphazardly check for signals when moving is the goal versus detecting.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm usually good for about 3 or 4 hours with the right, then it needs a break. I'll also switch to left if I'm moving fast to walk to another area to just sort of haphazardly check for signals when moving is the goal versus detecting. >>

Exactly, on all counts. I get about four hours before my arm (or more usually, my lower back) feels the strain. Then I go leftie for a little while if I can, but I can't do that for long since I'm so uncoordinated with that arm. I sometimes do do lazy zigzags with it as you mentioned, if I am walking back to the car or just crossing a field rather than really trying to hunt. Once or twice I've actually (accidentally) made good finds while doing that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I also swing 95 percent of the time with my right and only use the left when my arm gets too tired. I don't use the left for long because it's awkward and I think I get bad coverage.
    Who lusts for silver? I lust for gold.