Options
If you got the following grades - would you be happy?
TwoKopeiki
Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
1761 Austria, Salzburg- Thaler [XF 45]
1865 Brazil, 2000 Reis [AU50 Details (cleaned)]
1826 Mexico, Zacatecas 8 Reales [VF30 Details (corroded)]
1830 Mexico, Mexico City, 8 Reales [XF40 Details (cleaned)]
1842 Mexico, Zacatecas 8 Reales Type I [AU53]
...



Congrats, Newsman, on winning the quiz
I'll have your prize out to you first thing tomorrow morning. 
1865 Brazil, 2000 Reis [AU50 Details (cleaned)]
1826 Mexico, Zacatecas 8 Reales [VF30 Details (corroded)]
1830 Mexico, Mexico City, 8 Reales [XF40 Details (cleaned)]
1842 Mexico, Zacatecas 8 Reales Type I [AU53]
...
Congrats, Newsman, on winning the quiz 
0
Comments
DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'
CU #3245 B.N.A. #428
Don
1830 **x*c*, **x*c* C**y, 8 *e***s [XF40 Details (cleaned)]
1830 Mexico, Mexico City, 8 Reales
My World Coin Type Set
<< <i>If I thought they were all problem free coins before I sent them in, I would not be happy. If they met my expectations, I would be happy. >>
Don, the 1865 and 1830 were suspects before I sent them in, but 1826 was a low blow
Got the third one also. The second is stumping me.
DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'
CU #3245 B.N.A. #428
Don
Your original instructions are clear. That's the only one I can identify. Canadian nickels are my thing, so that makes me a darksider (greysider) by default, but I don't have a good knowledge of world coins. I suppose I could search for the answers, but I'll leave that to someone else.
My World Coin Type Set
<< <i>I know the first one, fourth, and fifth ones without using my Krause. Now for the difficult ones. Does the second one have a date of 1865B? Or is the B part of the country name?
Got the third one also. The second is stumping me. >>
B is the first letter in the name of the Country
<< <i>I should've been more specific - the first one to properly fill-in ALL of the blanks
Your original instructions are clear. That's the only one I can identify. Canadian nickels are my thing, so that makes me a darksider (greysider) by default, but I don't have a good knowledge of world coins. I suppose I could search for the answers, but I'll leave that to someone else. >>
It's understandable, Paul. I am currently living in Toronto and have no idea why I'm not using this opportunity to learn more about Canadian coinage... It's everywhere!
1865 Brazil, 2000 Reis [AU50 Details (cleaned)]
1826 Mexico, Zacatecas 8 Reales [VF30 Details (corroded)]
1830 Mexico, Mexico City, 8 Reales [XF40 Details (cleaned)]
1842 Mexico, Zacatecas 8 Reales Type I [AU53]
DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'
CU #3245 B.N.A. #428
Don
<< <i>DANG! Brazil!
That was the only one I was sure of. And it's not an uncommon grade for those coins -- I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't be surprised either.
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.
<< <i>1761 Austria, Salzburg - Thaler [XF 45]
1865 Brazil, 2000 Reis [AU50 Details (cleaned)]
1826 Mexico, Zacatecas 8 Reales [VF30 Details (corroded)]
1830 Mexico, Mexico City, 8 Reales [XF40 Details (cleaned)]
1842 Mexico, Zacatecas 8 Reales Type I [AU53] >>
Congrats, Newsman! PM me your address and I'll send a little something-something
I am pretty excited about the 1842 Type I (attributed), since these were struck early in the year, before the die style changed and normally found in VF-XF with numerous planchet flaws. The 1826 was a disappointment - ANACS couldn't attribe the variety (un-listed in Resplandores), but I guess authentication is just as good. Corrosions put a damper on the grade, though...
https://www.civitasgalleries.com
New coins listed monthly!
Josh Moran
CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
<< <i>An 1826 Zs 8R probably starts out "corroded".
I'm fascinated by these coins
<< <i>From my research I learned that there were a few VERY well made 1826 Zs die pairs made in New England - this could be a new one (the small star and Go-type pad on the cactus indicate that different punches were used to create this die). At some point, I would like to add a full-feathered breast pre-1842 Zacatecas 8 Reales to my collection, but it will be tough, since flatness of the breast is simply a function of how the press worked (it was manual and the pressure needed to fully develope the strike was rarely there).
I'm fascinated by these coins
1761 A****a, S**z**** - T****e* [XF 45]
1865 B*****, 20** **is [AU50 Details (cleaned)]
1826 **x*c*, Z****e**s 8 *e***s [VF30 Details (corroded)]
1830 **x*c*, **x*c* C**y, 8 *e***s [XF40 Details (cleaned)]
1842 **x*c*, Z****e**s 8 *e***s Ty** I [AU53]
1761 Austria, Salzburg - Thaler [XF 45]
1865 Brazil, 2000 Reis [AU50 Details (cleaned)]
1826 Mexico, Zacatecas 8 Reales [VF30 Details (corroded)]
1830 Mexico, Mexico City, 8 Reales [XF40 Details (cleaned)]
1842 Mexico, Zacatecas 8 Reales Type I [AU53]
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.
Now that I'm looking at it up-close through the lens - it looks more cleaned than the 1826 Zacatecas piece... <sigh> There are also traces of a die clash on both sides of the coin, most pronounced at 11 o'clock on the reverse (or is it obverse? The one with the year on it)