Home U.S. Coin Forum

Afternoon searching rolls - lots'o'pics - any error keepers or advice?

StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Went to the bank to get rolls today - no halves, so I settled for a mix of nickels and dimes.

The advice part is what do other roll searchers do with this type of stuff? Most of these things I find aren't worth much if any premium - do you keep them? Put them in 2x2's and hope some day a VAM-Like craze will hit modern crap? Spend them?

Anyhow, on with today's finds. Let me know if you see any keepers.

2006P Nickel die crack - looks like a power line running to Monticello:

1999P nickel mint mark. Probably machine doubling, but nothing else on the obv is doubled, so just stuck out:

1996P nickel filled mint mark.

1995P nickel - What is going on here? Deteriorating die of some sort? It was stronger on the bottom, but the top had some lighter version of this too.

1967 nickel - I don't know what's going on here, lamination, die crack, cud of some sort in areas. Thought it was neat - runs from left of Monticello to end of "states".

2000P machine doubling? After I shot this one, I skipped the rest that I thought were strike/machine doubling. Had 1977, 1999P nickel and a 1985P dime as well.

2006P Dime - I'll call it the Crying Roosevelt. There are some nice die chips/breaks forming on his eyebrow, by eyes (looks like tears) and one by his nose like a wart. I found 4 more sort of like this in the next set of pics, but no other "Crying" ones.

4 other 2006P dimes sort of like the one above. The 5 of them were probably minted close to each other, neat to follow the die cracks progress in eyebrow, cheek, nose, and facial area.

1962 Dime showing some strong doubling. Looked at CONECA's site and only saw a proof that sort of matched up (DDR-003 & 004 sort of). Some close-ups next pic

Close-ups of a few areas on the '62 dime. Not sure if it's a real DDR or just machine doubling, but was neat either way - high areas on some of the doubling like a crack too - and in great shape for 45 years old image

All I found today - fun stuff to me. Someday I'll find something really neat, until then the hunt is fun enough.

Jeff
------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. that is one heck of a lot of looking... your eyes must be burning... neat finds though. Cheers, RickO
  • Nice... my kinda quiet day!! And just what are you takin pics with?? I gotta get a set-up like that!! (then I'd be lost for hours....)
  • Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I wanted to ask the same question as AskRaq, what kinda setup you have? BEAUTIFUL pictures.

Rob the Newbie
    Rob the Newbie
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. that is one heck of a lot of looking... your eyes must be burning... neat finds though. Cheers, RickO

Yes, a few hours of staring through a loupe does start to get the eyes burning.

<< <i>Nice... my kinda quiet day!! And just what are you takin pics with?? I gotta get a set-up like that!! (then I'd be lost for hours....) >>

I use a Canon PowerShot A530. Most of the close-ups were through a Canon B04 Micrographics 29x lens. It was a nice quiet afternoon - I should be out metal detecting, but tweaked my back so I was die-crack & such detecting today image

TTT - Primarily interested in figuring out the '62 dime if anyone has an opinion...

• mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    62 dime....machine doubling...no doubt.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to post your finds.

I've just been putting anything out of the ordinary in 2 x 2s. Why not?

<< <i>62 dime....machine doubling...no doubt. >>

Thanks - I'll have to go reread JT Stanton's "Determining Die Doubling from Other Forms of Doubling" again - apparently I failed my final exam image His article in PDF is here: JT Stanton Die Doubling Article.

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Great photos! The 1995-P nickel is definitely a worn die. The 1967 nickel is interesting - very odd. It kind of looks like a lamination but the way it follows the curve of the rim is strange.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• you took some nice detailed photos; hope you had fun with this

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file