Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody have a "Director of the Mint" report of 1887?

If so, what were the UNEXPENDED BALANCES OF APPROPRIATIONS and APPROPRIATIONS AND EXPENDITURES FOR THE MINTS AND ASSAY OFFICES for that year for Carson City?

If you could just take a photo or scan in the pages that would be ideal. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    1887 Report.

page 39.
    Appropriations. Carson Mint
    Salaries -- $29,550.00
    Wages -- $60,000.00
    Contingent -- $25,000.00

Expenditures. Carson Mint
    Salaries -- $11,783.62
    Wages -- $17,899.00
    Contingent -- $2,354.14

There was neither appropriation nor expenditure for striking silver dollars in FY 1887 for Carson Mint.

page 40. Unexpended Balances FY 1887. Carson Mint.
    Salaries --$17,766.38
    Wages -- $42,101.00
    Contingent Expenses -- $22,645.86

Hope this is helpful.

• Options
    RWB where did you get this info?
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    From the Mint Report for 1887 - I have a copy.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Roger has some of the best numismatic toys. These books show up on ebay from time to time and the 1887 Mint report just sold March 28th for a very reasonable $27. Yes, that's me as the underbidder at $26. image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    You'll get the next one, Joe.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    It was my own fault. I bid with 13 seconds left; too much time and got beat by a 5-second-to-go bidder.

My oldest is 1895. These are great resources for information about the Mint, precious metals and world economies.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    I have a few copies of various years as well. Not too hard to find, they come up on ebay from time to time, I'm pretty sure that's how I got mine.
  • Options
    Do people sell copies? They aren't protected by copyright and could be a more economical way to get the information for people who also don't want the original as a collectible.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Many of these run several hundred pages - frankly, I'd rather pay $25-$35 (although you usually can't get 19th century copies for that little) for an original than try to copy/scan one!

(although I suppose that if one could sell 20-30 copies in .pdf form for $20 each, then it might be worth one's time.)

The annual reports from the Secretary of the Treasury and the Comptroller of the Currency are usually pretty interesting, too.

(If you're interested, the text [not the tables or attachments] of the annual reports of the Secretary of the Treasury from the late-1830s to 1868 are available on the Library of Congress' website - in the Appendix to the Congressional Globe. For you Civil War buffs, the annual reports of the Secretary of War are there, too.)

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    I didn't know they were that big. But the PDF idea seems like a good one.

• Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1887 Report.

page 39.
    Appropriations. Carson Mint
    Salaries -- $29,550.00
    Wages -- $60,000.00
    Contingent -- $25,000.00

Expenditures. Carson Mint
    Salaries -- $11,783.62
    Wages -- $17,899.00
    Contingent -- $2,354.14

There was neither appropriation nor expenditure for striking silver dollars in FY 1887 for Carson Mint.

page 40. Unexpended Balances FY 1887. Carson Mint.
    Salaries --$17,766.38
    Wages -- $42,101.00
    Contingent Expenses -- $22,645.86

Hope this is helpful. >>

It certainly is, thanks a lot!

I owe ya one
  • Options
    It would be nice to have the Annual Reports and Assay Commission Reports on a searchable CD. Unfortunately, last time I "ran the numbers" one could not sell enough copies to pay the cost of digitization.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file