Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

TrueView weekend

A few photos to share.

All coins were bought raw in NYINC.None of them has any particular collecting interest to me.
I'll tell you where they came from and what they graded tomorrow, it's almost 1 am here. image
Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    All very nice! image

I especially like the 50 kopeck
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, Dimitri. I especially like the copper.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    terrific pictures... nice coins... grades?image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Poltinnik! A gold Chervonetz would make a nice addition to the set, IMO image
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Wow .... Trueview is so nice!!!

of course kudos to you Dimitri, after all you did pick the coins image
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins. I like all of them. You got a nice eye for coins!
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Super Nice!!!!!!! Congrat'simage
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I must admit that I am not familiar with the 1 Poltinnik denomination.
    My 4 years of high school Russian (late 60's, early 70's) was many years ago and mostly wasted debating current events with our teacher, who was a card carrying Communist party member (quite rare in Minneapolis).
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    ...who was a card carrying Communist party member (quite rare in Minneapolis).

Maybe it's rare to find a card-carrying one, but there are lots of communists in Minneapolis.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful! Is it still Phil/Darkhorse? There aren't many who can do photos like that! It's nice to know the service is still out there if you ask for it. Thanks for posting...now if you are listing them on ebay, please wait until after the 15th which is when my self-imposed ebay strike is over image.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that is Phil's imaging. The 1926 Soviet coin is stunning in hand.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Stunning Dimitri, like them all but the East Africa (Mombasa) the best image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the great comments. image

I mentioned that none of them has any particular collecting interest to me, to show that, once we feel liberated from the limits that we impose to ourselves, great coins are everywhere and for very friendly prices too. Of course I also bought coins that were intended for my collection in NY,but they were the ones that stressed me up the most, these were really fun time. And yes, 3 out of 4 at least will probably end up for sale before summer.

Anyway, here's how it went. First day (early bird) in NYINC, I entered the central area (NYINC is divided into various rooms) with a clear intention to not stop anywhere else before I reached Karl Stephens' table first. No looking around, no stalling, I only said hi to Andy, but that's just because his table was facing the main entrance. image Still, right before I reach Karl's table, a coin catches my eye. It was the stunning in hand, as Don suggested,1926 50 kopecks. Seller unknown. Bought it, paid for it and went to Karl. There, I picked up the rouble and the Mombasa piece among many others. I liked the Russian pair, I always admired these early Communist designs, and as for the denomination on it, I've seen 50K, or half roubles before, referred to as poltinas, probably in some Kuenker catalogues. The Mombasa piece was unusual, especially in gem condition, it reminded me of several trips to this East African port and at the time, it was intended for my African copper set, which doesn't exist anymore,because I've decided to focus on Egypt instead.The Belgian coin and the one from Uruguay came from Andy,last day of the show, who in the meantime had helped me to obtain some other important coins that I needed for my personal collection.

Grades are

1926 50 Kop RUSSIA MS64
    1924 PL Rouble RUSSIA MS64
    1887 Franc BELGIUM MS66
    1888-C/M Pice Med Letters MOMBASA MS65RB
    1877-A 10C Left URUGUAY MS66

I'm glad that you enjoyed the pictures, as usual, Phil did a fantastic job. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coins, Dimitri!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and as for the denomination on it, I've seen 50K, or half roubles before, referred to as poltinas, probably in some Kuenker catalogues. >>

Actually, the denomination "Odin Poltinnik" (One Poltinnik) is written on the reverse. Poltinnik translates loosely as "half rouble" and dates back to Imperial Russia when 50 kopeck pieces were known as Poltinas.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice bits. Now, where are the gems from your personal collection? image
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Dimitri - What a great group of coins!! Isn't it a bonus to have those beautiful pictures to share with others - it really helps us to appreciate the way you must have felt when you first saw them.
    A lot of folks on this forum are very good at taking photos of their coins but none gives the true beauty of a coin like Phil does.
    Thanks for sharing.

Shep
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Trueview = $dollars, providing you can use the image of the coin when you sell it, perhaps almost equal to the potential value of the slabbing.- I'm hopelessly uninformed hereimage.

Edited to add:

Let me go further: if PCGS cannot see the value of a standard or optional ($) enlarged Trueview Image being offered along with the slab I'd be surprised. It would certainly help me pull the trigger on an internet purchase.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato