Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New eBay scam?? Watch out if it is!!

I don't know if anyone has brought this up on the boards or not. But, it looks like crooks are trying a NEW angle to get at people's eBay passwords and credit card info. I received the following e-mail this morning. The first thing I ALWAYS! do is I check "MY EBAY" to see if it really came from eBay in the "new messages" folder. This e-mail was not there and eBay did not send it. Then I noticed when I ran my mouse cursor over the login part of the e-mail the link was from australia. Just wanted to know if anyone else has received this bogus e-mail or not. If you haven't be on the look out for it.

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear eBay Seller,

You've been on a super sales streak and since you've done so well, it's time to recognize you for your efforts. You are PowerSeller Silver!

Congratulations! joining the eBay Silver PowerSeller Program. Come and join us. When you join the PowerSeller program, you the support you'll need for continued success. So, why wait? Join now!

PowerSeller icon next to your User ID in recognition of your hard work.

PowerSeller Priority Support via email webform and phone support at Silver level and above.

Exclusive offerings on the PowerSeller portal--check in frequently to see updated program benefits and special offers!

Discussion Board for you to network with other PowerSellers.

Free PowerSeller Business Templates for business cards and letterhead.

Membership to the PowerSeller program is FREE.

Again, congratulations and best wishes for your contin success!
Regards,
eBay PowerSeller Team

If you agree with this rank please Become an eBay Power Seller within 48 hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1995-2007 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Comments

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten a few of them. They've gone straight to spoof@ebay.com...not that that does any damn good though.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭
    At least it wasn't from Nigeria or Liberia. image But seriously, did Ebay even exist back in 1995?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

• << <i>At least it wasn't from Nigeria or Liberia. image But seriously, did Ebay even exist back in 1995? >>

Yeah, eBay started in 1995 by a kid in his apartment in San Jose selling beanie babies originally.
  • Actually it was not Beanie Babies, but a broker laser printer that sold for $14.83 by computer programmer Pierre Omidyar.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently sold duplicates as I upgraded one of my registry sets. I received this e-mail. I had not sold for two years previously. I'm instantly a Silver Power Seller. The following week I sold duplicates of another set I upgraded and received a similar e-mail only this time I am a Platinum Power Seller. I can hardly wait to sell again to see my new Power Seller status.image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Close but the truth is tha eBay's founder, Pierre Omidyar, started eBay because he wanted a way to sell and buy Pez dispensers and there wasn't a good way to do that on the Internet before.
  • I thought ebay got started by a guy in CA that wanted to organize a sportscard giveaway to children in need?

Arthur
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Close but the truth is tha eBay's founder, Pierre Omidyar, started eBay because he wanted a way to sell and buy Pez dispensers and there wasn't a good way to do that on the Internet before. >>

This one is right. Oprah did a show about 4 years ago on women in business executive positions and this is the story that was told there.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you agree with this rank please Become an eBay Power Seller within 48 hours >>

Sounds like someone is in a rush image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I got the exact same e-mail about three weeks ago. I signed up including my PayPal account and now I have no money in my bank account. Wonder if this was a coincidence?
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Just in case anybody DOESN'T know about the eBay Power Sellers program, it's all automatic...the logo appears in all your listings...no login or confirmation is ever asked for.

• << <i>Close but the truth is tha eBay's founder, Pierre Omidyar, started eBay because he wanted a way to sell and buy Pez dispensers and there wasn't a good way to do that on the Internet before. >>

The frequently repeated story that eBay was founded to help Omidyar's fiancée trade PEZ Candy dispensers was fabricated by a public relations manager in 1997 to interest the media. This was revealed in Adam Cohen's 2002 book and confirmed by eBay. Cohen's book is titled The Pefect Store - Inside eBay
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first thing to look at when receiving any email that says it is from Ebay is how it addresses you. These scam emails almost always say "Dear Ebay Member." Ebay and Paypal will ALWAYS address you by your name.
    James
  • jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    I ignore all emails from Ebay and Paypal. The signal to noise ratio due to phishing scams is pretty bad.

I log in to Ebay and check the messages there. That way I can be relatively sure that it's safe.

I say "relatively" because I've heard that some sophisticated scams use DNS poisoning....