Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is a Numismatist?

Just curious.

Comments

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB - look in the mirror
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

<< <i>BB - look in the mirror >>

All I see is an old man with a green Afro.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Here's the PCGS definition: Link Scroll down to "numismatist"
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options

<< <i>Here's the PCGS definition: Link Scroll down to "numismatist" >>

Okay here is the definition:

numismatist: One who studies or collects money or substitutes thereof.

Okay so there is this guy that Coin World interviews about 10 years ago. He has a family and no money. So he cuts photos of rare coins out of auction catalogs and builds himself a fabulous collection. Would these be subsitutes??
  • Options
    someone who has nothing better to do than prowl around on these forums
  • Options

<< <i>someone who has nothing better to do than prowl around on these forums >>

That pretty much sums it up! image
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>someone who has nothing better to do than prowl around on these forums >>

That pretty much sums it up! image >>

What you mean? We're like prowling lions stalking our next catch?
  • Options
    Not really BB. But we are a breed apart. And those who browse these boards reagularly can count themselves amongst the serious established Numimatists as well as those of us who are still developing their Numismatic know-how on their way to becoming recognized Numismatists .
  • Options

<< <i>Not really BB. But we are a breed apart. And those who browse these boards reagularly can count themselves amongst the serious established Numimatists as well as those of us who are still developing their Numismatic know-how on their way to becoming recognized Numismatists . >>

I will die of old age before I get there. How about the guy who cut out pictures of rare coins. He has it all. See above.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    -- How about the guy who cut out pictures of rare coins.

He's a numismatist regardless of whether the pictures count as "substitutes" for coins. He's collecting knowledge, and that's all one needs to qualify as a numismatist.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>-- How about the guy who cut out pictures of rare coins.

He's a numismatist regardless of whether the pictures count as "substitutes" for coins. He's collecting knowledge, and that's all one needs to qualify as a numismatist. >>

A numismatist is someone who studies the physical embodiment of money. May it be tokens that passed for money at the time, encased stamps, or sea shells. In my opinion the guy who cut out pictures of rare coins is not a numismatist, unless he also had his own collection of state quarters, that is.
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    An uppity coin collector.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One who engages in numismatics... no matter what the level. The gentleman who cut out pictures is a numismatist.. he loves the hobby, studies the coin pictures, undoubtedly reads about them - simply cannot afford to own real examples. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A numismatist is an offensive term given to snobby people who have to hang out with simple people that may or may not drive a Japanese car made in China. Their change is more important than their bills. If it is round and makes noise when it falls on the ground like "ching ching" they go wild.

They often have hair growing on the backs of their hands and even on their knuckles. Upon closer inspection, several have hair growing out of their ears and noses. This is your more astute numismatist, of course.

They are not humored by trolls on the boards as this reminds them of how they look in the mirror.

(I'm just playing)

Coin lovers are numismatists image
  • Options
    TTT, just in case it needs repeating image
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    pictures of coins are not substitutes...they are facsimilies.

that would make them a collector of worthless paper.....you know...... like a sports card collector.
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    A fool with some money
    A clown who aint funny
    His life purloined
    By a love of coins

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    To me, a numismatist is somebody who has a collection and interest in coins that extends beyond what they are worth as an investment...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    More interesting of a question than I think it appears on the surface. The root, if memory serves me, is an interesting cross-civilization one that originated from a Greek word for legal custom and arose in Latin to mean currency, as in an instrument of commerce. What is further interesting, to me at least, is that, while we nearly always associate the term today with the study of coins or at least assign it more readily to the most scholarly in the hobby, the word is numismatist and not the expected numismologist. Of course, that could just be a semantic limitation of available word choices for us now. Undoubtedly, it does indicate one who is involved with the instruments of commerce: coin, currency, or as finance guys like to say -- cash or cash equivalents. For lack of numismologist or another term, I think numismatist has largely been appropriated by the scholarly camp. Thus the collector of photographs of coins or the guy who conducts detailed studies of coins in auction previews and bourse offerings could qualify as a first rate numismatist while never owning a single coin. OTOH, the person who is a collector of Mint direct bullion who never looks at it more than a couple minutes before stowing it away in the safe deposit box for the term of his ownership is hardly a candidate according to many of us. In the end though, it is a broadly encompassing term that tends to be applied in a limited fashion.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Thus the collector of photographs of coins or the guy who conducts detailed studies of coins in auction previews and bourse offerings could qualify as a first rate numismatist while never owning a single coin.

I agree Coxe

To me, a numismatist is somebody who has a collection and interest in coins that extends beyond what they are worth as an investment

I agree myqqy

He's a numismatist regardless of whether the pictures count as "substitutes" for coins. He's collecting knowledge, and that's all one needs to qualify as a numismatist.

I agree IGWT

One who engages in numismatics... no matter what the level. The gentleman who cut out pictures is a numismatist.. he loves the hobby, studies the coin pictures, undoubtedly reads about them - simply cannot afford to own real examples. Cheers, RickO

I agree ricko.

• Options
    A dealer with a conscience?
  • Options
    I guess my first answer was a bit vague image...
    I meant it with humor. Apparently , few were humored.
    I like the boards for the use of pictures to tell the truth, too image

So without further adieu, here is a true NUMISMATIST ( I might add, he's got a little business savvy, too)

• Options

<< <i>I guess my first answer was a bit vague image...
    I meant it with humor. Apparently , few were humored.
    I like the boards for the use of pictures to tell the truth, too image

So without further adieu, here is a true NUMISMATIST ( I might add, he's got a little business savvy, too)

image >>

Twosides2aCoin

Actually I loved your humorous explanation given above but these boards move so fast that most things get lost in the wash. Ironically the first dealer I bought coins from had huge bushy eyebrows and hairy hands so I had to laugh at the coincidence.

Here it is again: "A numismatist is an offensive term given to snobby people who have to hang out with simple people that may or may not drive a Japanese car made in China. Their change is more important than their bills. If it is round and makes noise when it falls on the ground like "ching ching" they go wild.

They often have hair growing on the backs of their hands and even on their knuckles. Upon closer inspection, several have hair growing out of their ears and noses. This is your more astute numismatist, of course.

They are not humored by trolls on the boards as this reminds them of how they look in the mirror."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file