Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL Mark McGwire Registry Thread

I'm hoping theres enough McGwire collectors to get give this thread staying power! I'd like this thread to be more about McGwire related cards and memorabilia than a thread to express ones views on the steroid debate. So feel free to jump in with a scan, a story, or ask questions! Ill post some scans of some cards Im rather proud of shortly.

Comments

• Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    McGwire has always been one of my favorite "Modern" players. I do not collect his cards, however I do have a few RC's and many Auto's including a game-used bat.

Good luck with the thread, I will check back often.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Great Thread...I have been a McGwire fan for years...since his days at USC. Collected his cards for years then got into the PSA graded side of collecting...NO REGRETS. There are some good guys that collect McGwire...and loyal, too. After everything that has happened in the last few years, you would have to be...AND WE ARE.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I lived in a city near where the McGwire family lived. Interestingly enough, I had one of his brothers (Mike?) come in to sell autographed pictures of Mark (Dan still wasn't 'famous') to a store where I was working while in High School.

Just funny to remember back to those great days!

I'm a fan of Mark McGwire (despite the allegations...hey, I'm a Palmeiro fan too!) and I wish you luck with your collecting and sharing of stories. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    No matter what you say about him, he had a tremendous impact on bringing baseball back and making it exciting in the 90's. I watched him hit when he played at USC and he could hit the ball like Mantle. I think he was easily the PAC 10 HR champ in his last year at USC. His rookie year in the majors he hit 49 home runs, still a record. When he was healthy he was amazing. When he and Sosa were neck and neck in 99, the whole nation watched. Thats when I began collecting cards again. I collected his chrome HR set 1-70 and got most of his other cards graded and in an album. I don't know what they are worth now, don't care. When he hit his 62nd and hugged the Maris family, I got a little teary eyed. Even without steriods he was a big man, 6'5 and 240 lbs. He admitted he used steriods and at that time so were a great number of players. so what!!!! now it is banned and the players are checked. But I think most of the great players were on an even playing field at that time. I like Big Mac, pretty decent guy and great family. Compared to Rose and Bonds he is a saint.
    Every time Rose opens his mouth I want to puke, and Bonds is just a plain horses ass.image
  • Options
    Hey Cheeks, I agree with just about your entire post regarding McGwire, he was certainly a great player, hitter and person long before the PID's entered the game.

Lets keep this thread about McGwire, his cards, accomplishments and everything else we enjoy about the years he played for the A's and Cards. Why don't we leave the opinions you have about other players to other threads. The players you mentioned were and are great baseball players also, period.

• Options
    GREAT idea for a thread. McGwire was THE player I collected during my youth - hands down, no comparison. I started collecting his cards in late 1987 (when I was 11 and first started collecting and when he was ROY) through about 1997 (when I was in the middle of college). I'd trade for his cards whenever I had the chance. I remember getting his 85 Topps rookie for Christmas from my Mom in 1988 or 1989 and thought it was the greatest gift ever. In early 1995, I actually put a small ad in SCD for a couple of weeks offering to buy oddball McGwire stuff. This was after his back to back 9 HR/disabled list seasons so I had a pretty good response and was able to pick up some rare issues and some rookies for pretty cheap. During the 1996 season my girlfriend (who's now my wife) and I went to see the A's play the Rangers in Arlington and she was able to get that Topps rookie I got for Christmas autographed by him. Definitely the most cherished card in my collection:

During the '98 season and the HR chase, I sold my collection to fund more "important" things during my last years of college. While I did pretty well selling them, I obviously wish I hadn't sold them. Well, I got back into collecting about 9 months ago and about 3-4 months ago I started a McGwire registry and I'm tying to slowly pick up all his cards again from his Oakland years in PSA 9 - a tough task!

Thanks for starting the thread!

Mike
  • Options
    Here's a couple scans of some of my favorites from my lowly set. And by the way, if anyone has extra PSA 9's or 10's from 1982-97 that I need for my set and wants to help out a fellow collector, I'm interested.

• Options
    Nice cards MikeLikesIt!!

• Options
    This one is serial numbered 25/400...COOL!
    Currently (3) 10's, I have 2 of them, but this is my favorite!

Only 3 nines and no 10's in the population report.

Only 3 of these as well, no 10's.

Sorry for the big pictures, but just thought I would share a few.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I grew up a fan of McGwire (I was 12 in 1987). I lived in Phoenix, AZ and I would go down to Phoenix Municipal Stadium every spring to watch them play. Some of my other friends were big Canseco fans. While I liked Canseco too, McGwire was my favorite. We didn't have a team yet in AZ so Oakland was my favorite team. The best time to watch them back then was at practice and not a game. During practice, they actually let us sit on top of the dugout and we could watch the players come in and out right below us, it was cool. During a game, they'd never let you do that. Once I jumped to fence behind left field when McGwire was taking batting practice. I pulled like 4 or 5 balls out of the mud that he hit over. I still have my binders full of his cards when I was younger. I've sold off everything else over the years but will never sell those.
  • Options
    I want to be part of this thread but Republicaninmass and others are going to attack me the minute I do..
    Sad.

You all know my enthusiasm, and that I post pics of rare Mcgwire's, but having to contend with harrassers makes me turn green ALA the incredible hulk.

What is the best way I can contribute to this thread?

Pix, Discussions, do you, do you want the moon? How 'bout I lasso the moon for ya mary. Would you like that?

Should I talk about baseball cards?

Help me out here.
  • Options
    jgarci...McGwire discussions, please...scans if you got 'em!

Only (1) 9, no 10's...SERIAL #'d 25/50.

Messing with the size of the pictures so they aren't so big.
  • Options
    Dude, Open up a photobucket account, so you can put up GIGANTOR SCANS!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I want to be part of this thread but Republicaninmass and others are going to attack me the minute I do..
    Sad. >>

John theres nothing you can possibly say here that they will have any complaints about, because, finally, this is the thread for such discussions!!image

Can't wait to get home and add some scans to post. Got a couple I'd love to show
  • Options
    I can't wait to see yours!!
  • Options
    1996 Leaf Signature Platinum Press Proof PSA 9. TOUGH
    Now the Back
  • Options
    Dude...the photobucket account has been opened. Will make sure pictures are correctly sized prior to dropping them on the message board...DUDE...
  • Options
  • Options
    AWESOME SCANS!!!!!!!
    The homerun chrome Collection Is SUPER Expensive and tough!
    I never even thought about trying to get them all in a row.
  • Options
    John:

Thanks...these are the only 2 Chrome #220 Homerun Refractors I have been able to get so far...I will keep trying...

By the way, nice Platinum Press Proof scan. I have not been able to acquire that one, yet.
  • Options
    The Platinums come up on occasion.
    There are 150 of them.
    The bad thing though is that the Packs they came inside of costed $9.99 back in 1997!
    These cards are rare but have a higher than usual chance of being on ebay because legitimate venders, that sell on ebay, are probably the only deep pockets that bought and sought these cards.
  • Options
    I like going after the rare cards when I can. There are a few other McGwire collectors that go after the 1 of 1's pretty hard, but PSA does not recognize those as part of the master set. I try to stick to the PSA guidelines for the most part. A card that I picked up some time back (I believe McGwireMuseum has one as well) is the 1996 Leaf Preferred Steel Promo Silver...mine is graded as a PSA 9. These cards are SUPER DUPER rare as they were never issued to the public. It is believed that only a few of the Silver and Bronze promos even exist. I will try and photobucket the card tomorrow to get it posted.
  • Options
    Hey, I already posted pix of the promos in my Jgarci11 Lover post
  • Options
    Hi All, I am a big Mac fan as well. I started a registry when the McGwire was new to the registry , i had the number # 1 Master set for a short time until some of the more serious guys got involve. i decided to stop my quest for the cards due to the unbelievable number of cards needed to complete. also i am a 1960 Topps collector and decided i'd rather collect those and unfortunately do not have deep pockets for this stuff. i do howwver still have at least 50-60 different Mac cards if anyone is interested in them. send me a pm if you would be interested in the cards i have. thanks Phil
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Cheeks, I agree with just about your entire post regarding McGwire, he was certainly a great player, hitter and person long before the PID's entered the game.

Lets keep this thread about McGwire, his cards, accomplishments and everything else we enjoy about the years he played for the A's and Cards. Why don't we leave the opinions you have about other players to other threads. The players you mentioned were and are great baseball players also, period.

262 >>

Your right 262runner, they were both great players. This is no place to air personal vitrioloc feelings. Sometimes my emotions over rule proper protocal and commom sense.
  • Options
  • Options
    HOW THE HECK DO YOU DELETE A MASSAGE ON A THREAD< I CAN NOT DELETE THIS ONE AND THE ONE ABOVE IT ????
  • Options
    Phil...PM Sent.
  • Options
    Hi , I received the PM's from a few of you Mcgwire collectors regarding my available Big Mac cards and have PM'd you back. I decided to list them in the registry in the McGwire Master set section to make it easier for me rather than typing card #, Year etc, i also figured it would be easier for potential buyers to figure out which card or cards they wanted rather than trying to understand my descriptions. any and all offers are going to be considered so feel free to pm what you're interested in and an offer and i'll let you know. also if you'd prefer you can e mail me at pburnett04@comcast.net , i also have probably another 5,000 ungraded McGwire cards , i have no idea how many different and don't know at this time how to package any of them for sale but if anyone is interested i'm willing to consider offers on those as well, i know theres at least 1,000 + different because i bought a collection about a year ago off of e bay with at least that many different, they're still in the binders i received them in. thanks Phil
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Not rare, but my best 2 mcgwire cards

• Options
    Those are 2 very nice cards, I've always wanted to own a Psa 10 1985 Mac card but never wanted to pay the price. hopefully you bought the card recently i know during 98-02 they were sky high. I do have a 9 and probably another 10 or so Psa 8's. again awesome cards. Phil
  • Options
    samspop- on that 1999 Bowmans Best refractor, is there an even rarer version? Mine is #d out of only 100. I have basic knowledge on the Cardinals cards compared to the Oakland years.
  • Options
    Jay:

The PSA 10 that I have is #'d to 400 and is a Refractor. What you have is shorter printed parallel known as the Atomic Refractor #'d/100.
  • Options
    Sweet! It must have been labeled wrong! It is #1/100 too, so I was excited to see the BIN on it instead of battling mdjdob.

PS: Im Jay, Phil is the one selling the PSA McGwires (which I suspect you're the one that beat me by an hour to buying them image)
  • Options
    I still have 56 different mostly psa 9 McGwire's available, check the ste registry for Phil's - McGwire Collection. thanks Phil
  • Options
    So, I'm curious. When did most McGwire collectors become McGwire collectors? Was it during the Oakland or St. Louis years?
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I started collecting McGwire in 1987
  • Options
    I am a lifelong A's fan being fron Northern California and started collecting him in 1987 . Phil
  • Options
    Just great, looks like we've now entered 'optional' cards into the McGwire Master set
  • Options
    Jay...(Sorry about the Phil thing earlier):

I saw those optional cards, as well. I believe that will do that with any new additions until the 07 Awards are given out, then these will be added to the Master Composite. Basically, they are drawing a line in the sand.

I started collecting McGwire's in '87, as well. I started trying to accumulate raw McGwire's in '99 and started my PSA set(s) about 2 years ago. My PSA Master set is probably a 60/40 mix of raw cards that I have sent to PSA vs. cards that I have purchased/traded for.
  • Options
    Our reg sets are coming out great!!!!!
  • Options
    I like "Optional" as long as they are going to add them 'someday' I am fine with it.

The thing is, where will they get the Weighting grades from?

Oh and can you guys ask them to get rid of one of the 1996 Select certified Mirror Blues. They are listing it twice, and with each one clocking a 7 and 8, respectively, this throws the reg set out of whack. Thanks-jg
  • Options
    Oh, and here's some show and tell..
    1996 (Pinnacle) Afficionado First Pitch Preview--- Rare, right?
    and the back
  • Options
    Here is the same card but it is the Artist's Proof Version
    and the back:
  • Options
    Cool cards jgarci...keep 'em coming.
  • Options
    It's a pleasure to put up some scans!
    Let me know what cards you guys want to see and I will make it so.
  • Options
    Just checkin in to see if I can see some scans.
  • Options
    still waiting for any replies here.
    Any reason why this thread is being ignored??
  • Options
    Havent been home in days to add any scans! I have a couple cool ones I'd like to show, most specifically my 1991 Fleer Provision proof, signed by the artist. Any new purchases John? Why dont you just look through what you have and post some of those you know are rare?