Comments

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>Is our worst nightmare

Sincerley,
    National League Hitter

JS >>

Dear National League Hitter,

Please do not lure Cole into a bar, buy him drinks, then let him get into a brawl.

We need a full year out of him to recoup the medical expenses, let alone his salary.

Regards,
    Phillies Management

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    agreed ... Brett Myers is gonna be a beast too.

Phils will reach the World Series this year.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is gonna be our year! Bring it on!!!

I'm hoping for a Phils - Yanks WS with the Phillies getting payback for 1950. But beating any AL team in the WS will do.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Attention..Cole Hamels...5 hits and 15 strikeouts....against a potent Reds lineup.

Thank you very much. Can you pitch on 1 day rest?

JS
  • Options
    We're getting ready to turn it on - I remember Secretariat used to begin slow and then mow 'em down in the stretch. Come September the Pets fans here won't be laughing any longer.
  • Options
    I like our chances when the starter goes 9 innnings!

JS
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL, So much smack talk for a 4-12 team! LOL, Sillies SUCK!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I'm hoping for a Phils - Yanks WS with the Phillies getting payback for 1950. But beating any AL team in the WS will do.

LOL, Man give me some of what you're smoking! I want to live in fantasy world, too, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Cole Hamels= Cy Young
    Phillies= World Champs
    grote15=Under the bed, dress wearing, thumb sucking, crybaby.

JS
  • Options
    Joestalin=delusional fan of pathetic 4-12 teams, (i.e. see Bucs and Sillies records this year).

• Options
    Q) Whats the cure for a bullpen who has its best reliever on the DL?

A) Go out and pitch a complete game 5 hitter!

...and make Barry Bonds look silly doing it! Bonds running scared all game. Go break your record against some middle set up guy!

Did I say 20 game winner yet?

......yes I did.

Sincerely,
    8-2
  • Options
    Did I say 20 game winner yet?

......yes I did.

Sincerely,
    8-2

You also forgot to say Phillies barely .500 team will be lucky to finish in third place.

Let's Go METS!!

• Options
    Nice win by the Phils after a bad loss - proves this Phillies team has heart.

Pets players have talent? - Yes. Heart? - No!

Pets fans getting ready to say in a few months, "Our team loses again in the playoffs, forgetaboutit."
  • Options
    Mets are doing it with smoke and mirrors right now. Once they have to go head to head against the Phils, the lead will vanish..just
    ask the Braves.

JS
  • Options
    Mets are doing it with smoke and mirrors right now. Once they have to go head to head against the Phils, the lead will vanish.

• Options
    just
    ask the Braves.

Last time I checked the standings, Sillies were 5 games back of Atlanta, and 9 back of the Mets...have you read a paper lately?

• Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO more Cole Hamels

Sincerely,
    The American League

PS..Phils half game behind the Braves and a weekend series sweep behind the Mets.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is begging to be spoofed . . . .
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread is begging to be spoofed . . . . >>

I double dog dare you image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

Me no understand this "spoofed"

Now excuse me as a nomadic herdsman I must attend to the camel holes.
  • Options

<< <i>

Me no understand this "spoofed"

Now excuse me as a nomadic herdsman I must attend to the camel holes. >>

You mean toes, right?
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Per Baseball Prospectus, Hamels is the luckiest pitcher in the league this year.
  • Options
    WE CAN"T HIT THAT GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
    Chicago Cubs
  • Options
    Tom Gordon slams the door and Billy Wagner blow a save....times are a changing.

Of course Hamels keep trucking along on the way to 20 and a Cy Young.

JS
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tom Gordon slams the door and Billy Wagner blow a save....times are a changing.

Of course Hamels keep trucking along on the way to 20 and a Cy Young.

JS >>

you must have an interesting definition for "slam the door" image still, nice to see wags cough one up. first one of the year.
  • Options
    "when are they going to take this guy out and put in that clown Gordon, so we can finally score a run or two..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Sincerely,
    Washinton Nationals
  • Options
    8.0 innings pitched
    6 hits
    13 K's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sincerely,
    The Second Place Mets
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gloom and doom has spread all over Shea. From the dugout to the fans .... very surreal

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    dan,

take Willie back, please!!!

Sincerely,

Mets fans

• Options
    Grote

Can we just both finally agree that I know more about football and baseball that you? I mean, doesn't this thread prove it all?

I knew you would understand.

JS
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I just watched the last few innings of the Mets game - I have never seen a stadium that full of depressed fans. What a shame.
  • Options
    Grote

Can we just both finally agree that I know more about football and baseball that you? I mean, doesn't this thread prove it all?

I knew you would understand.

JS

Ummm, no, lol, but that is funny!

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. That's how I regard your sports "knowledge".

You've been back to the woodshed so often with all the loser teams you've rooted for over the last few years, it was only a matter of time before you got one right!

• Options
    a broken clock is right twice per day or a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Take your pick image

JS is a true fan through and through. He spouts off nonsense all year long all the while completely ignoring everybodys comments image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Yes he is - but lets not forget he is a Tampa Bay Bucs fan! I mean, come on now...when was the last time they won anything? Anything at all?
  • Options

It was painful just looking at those few who sat in their Shea Stadium seats until WELL after the game ended with just utter disbelief in their faces. There is NO JOY watching a scene like that .... getting ousted in the playoffs in one thing. What has happened to the Mets fans here is just a HUGE KICK below the belt.

• Options
    Well, it ain't over yet!

(Trying to stay upbeat)

Willie has done an absolutely AWFUL job during this collapse. He makes Art Howe look fiery!

Hard to believe no one on the Mets (outside of Lo Duca) seems to even freakin' care!

If they do blow this lead, I hope Wilpon fires his a$$!

• Options
    Is Willie pitching? Is he hitting? Last time I checked, it's the GM's job to get players in place, and the player's responsibility to perform.

Managers get far too much credit and far too much blame...put this blame where it belongs: squarely on the backs of the players who have disappeared in September.

• Options
    Managers get far too much credit and far too much blame...put this blame where it belongs: squarely on the backs of the players who have disappeared in September.

Can't fire the players.

The lack of passion, fire, intensity, urgency, etc. is a reflection on the manager, IMO. Otherwise, why fire Art Howe, right? Why fire any manager in that case? Bottom line is that someone must be held accountable for such an epic collapse and the manager is the usually that guy, like it or not, though Minaya certainly deserves blame for his poor decisions with regard to the bullpen staff this year.

• Options

<< <i>
    Can't fire the players.
    >>

Sure you can, you can fire anyone by trading them.

<< <i>The lack of passion, fire, intensity, urgency, etc. is a reflection on the manager, IMO. >>

So all season long when they've been playing well was he the reason, then in September and the players collapse it's his fault too? Or perhaps the team hit a cold streak at the worst possible time? Happens ya know. I am by no means a Willie fan, but to say his team's performance is somehow his fault is a bit silly to me.

<< <i>Otherwise, why fire Art Howe, right? Why fire any manager in that case? Bottom line is that someone must be held accountable for such an epic collapse and the manager is the usually that guy, like it or not, though Minaya certainly deserves blame for his poor decisions with regard to the bullpen staff this year. >>

Why fire managers? Because it's cheaper and easier than looking at rebuilding a team. A manager doesn't need to yell to get his players motivated, these players are the best of the very best, they don't need a manager yelling at them to get them motivated - they wouldn't be where they are if they weren't tremendously self-motivated.

To call for Willie's firing is looking the wrong way - look at the players who have betrayed you. Where's Reyes been? .298 OBP in September for your ignitor is inexcusable.
  • Options
    The other possibility is that the players have quit on their manager. Maybe they want Willie to be fired I heard a local radio interview with Paul LoDuca recently during which he basically said he was thrown out of a game recently because no one else is willing to get in anyone's face when things go bad, (meaning Willie), because like it or not, the manager usually absorbs the blame for a collapse like this one, the BIGGEST in MLB HISTORY!

But who knows..there are still 2 games left and 2 ways the Mets can still get in, however unlikely.

• Options

<< <i>The other possibility is that the players have quit on their manager. Maybe they want Willie toi be fired, because like it or not, the manager usually absorbs the blame for a collapse like this one, the BIGGEST in MLB HISTORY!

But who knows..there are still 2 games left and 2 ways the Mets can still get in, however unlikely. >>

But the players haven't quit on him...Wright, Beltran, Delgado this September are batting at or above their lifetime averages....perhaps it is indeed just bad luck, with a dash of bad Reyes?

Again, I think far too much credit and blame goes to the manager. These losses piling up aren't solely, or even largely his fault.
  • Options
    The pitching is what's been miserable. I don't really fault the hitters on this one. The Bullpen, mainly, and even the starters of late (Maine has morphed into a 5 inning pitcher for the last two months), have been the real culprits here.

And yes, Reyes has been cold at the top of the lineup at the most inappropriate time.

• Options
    << just watched the last few innings of the Mets game - I have never seen a stadium that full of depressed fans. What a shame>>

So you admit that the Yankees choke in 2004 was not as bad and there were some happy Yankee fans in Yankee Stadium then while the Red Sox celebrated the pennant. image

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    It is time to face the facts - Randolph is a bad baseball manager.
  • Options
    Congrats to Toe Camels and the Phils -- they best hold on to that lead and not torture their fans any further.
  • Options
    The Phillies are the better team, we all know that. As far as the dumb Bucs comment, they are the only NFC team to win
    a super bowl this century!!

Honestly, I don't think you all watch sports.

JS
  • Options
    There should be no NFL talk on a thread dedicated to Cole Hamels who could windup one day being one of the the greatest pitchers of all time. His gutsy performance last night was one for the books. Everyone here should feel blessed that they are witnessing the early stages of an almost certain Hall of Fame pitcher.

My advice...Buy all the Cole Hamels rookies you can, BUY ALL THE COLE HAMELS ROOKIES YOU CAN. Twenty years from now you'll be able to sell the cards for beautiful homes in both Beverly Hills and the French Riviera, with a Maserati, Lamborghini and Rolls Royce for good measure...and don't forget the 75 foot Yacht as well.

"Buy all the Cole Hamels rookies you can, BUY ALL THE COLE HAMELS ROOKIES YOU CAN."

What Don West would be saying if he was still doing Shop at Home.
  • Options
    Will be the World Series MVP.

You heard it here first! Have I been wrong yet?

JS
  • Options
    Sincerely,
    The Brewers
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    have you ever been right?

Steve
    Good for you.