Home Metal Detecting

Hello! I recently received a gift - the Bounty Hunter Prospector metal detector. I'm anxious to get started after reading this forum! Can someone explain what a "pointer"is? Sounds like this is a needed tool. Any advise where I might get information on where to search/dig in Oregon? Are there books, etc? Any help would be appreciated!!! Hope to post on this site of a finding soon! Thanks, Rich

Comments

• DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Welcome to the forum!

A pinpointer is indeed a useful if not necessary tool. There are many brands and types but basically it is a handheld metal detector that allows you to "pinpoint" where a detected item actually lies within the hole or target area. It saves a lot of time and frustration when digging.

Here is a popular model from Whites.

• Welcome.

Look at the old topo maps for your area Topozone. This will give you ideas of old camps and mines. It will show dwellings and possibly non-existing towns even. Do your library research. If you know any oldtimers, they can give you insight on where good spots may be.

I hunted some parks and campgrounds along the Columbia last summer. The finds were pretty good. I found some Roosy silver, wheaties, and Canadian coinage too. This area/route has been traveled for many decades and I wouldn't be surprised if silver coinage dating back to 1880s can be found in the smaller towns. There might be some relics that are more valuable than the coinage.

Where in Oregon are you?

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    I use a Vibraprobe pin pointer. Really cuts down on the recovery time. Waterproof, auto on/off, 1 9volt bat. Runs about $100.
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>I use a Vibraprobe pin pointer. Really cuts down on the recovery time. Waterproof, auto on/off, 1 9volt bat. Runs about $100.
    image >>

I like that. Never seen a compact model and I think that would be my choice if I buy a pinpointer. For now I'm using the Tiny-Tec I won here from Goldrush.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the BH Prospector is similar to the Wal-Mart BH Pioneer 202 I had a few years back, it did pretty good for me. It was my 1st detector that I bought to see if I would stick to it enough to justify buying one of the upper end ones. When my son started showing some interest I bought a BH Pioneer 505 and he used the 202 before moving on to a Garrett. I wish you the best of luck.

My pointer is still the freebie kellyco sent me with the GTI 1500. I think I've used it twice, both around trees where the roots were driving my pinpointing a little crazy, but for some reason, I don't seem to need it a lot. I like the compact ones shown though. Welcome to the boards.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Hi Gary!

Thanks for the response and positive information!!!! I'm in Salem OR. Will have to check that map out as I have no idea where to begin. I'm aware of local parks, etc. but I'm also need to learn just where you can search.

Rich
  • Hey Desert Rat!!

Thanks for the information! Sounds like I need to invest a little to make detecting a little easier!

Rich

• << <i>I use a Vibraprobe pin pointer. Really cuts down on the recovery time. Waterproof, auto on/off, 1 9volt bat. Runs about $100.
    image >>

Thanks for the info Dock!! Seems to be the popular tool thus far! Rich
  • Rocketman,

Drop me a PM with your email address. I'll give you some more "exact" locales to hunt along the river.

Gary
    imageimageimage

• << <i>Hi Gary!

Thanks for the response and positive information!!!! I'm in Salem OR. Will have to check that map out as I have no idea where to begin. I'm aware of local parks, etc. but I'm also need to learn just where you can search.

Rich >>

Welcome, Rich! When I was a kid I lived on a farm about two miles outside of Turner, near Cloverdale (about 10 miles from Salem). The house was actually two houses that were built at different times, one in 1865 and the other in the 1880's. The newer of the houses was moved by a team of horses sometime around 1900 and connected together. I would have LOVED to have had a detector when I lived there (1960's)! My dad did find a hidden room once, and that was pretty cool.
    Bob
  • eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    If you are a handy person, for about $20 you can build this one....I have built 2 and over the past 2yrs never had to use the 2nd one I built....

Make it yourself...pretty easy and works great.

ps....Welcome aboard
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.

• << <i>If you are a handy person, for about $20 you can build this one....I have built 2 and over the past 2yrs never had to use the 2nd one I built....

Make it yourself...pretty easy and works great.

ps....Welcome aboard >>

Thanks for the info and welcome Eyoung! I tried to open the attachment you send about making it yourself but I had no luck. Are you talking about making the pinpointer? Rich
  • eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    yep...
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Rocketman,

I got your PM, but I'm not sure the reply I'm sending is going though to you. I sent it last night and this afternoon. Are you getting it?

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Welcome aboard ROCKETMAN!

Here is a link to Ghost Towns.
    Put your state in the selector and follow the links. Maybe there is a cool site near you.

GhostTowns.com
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Thank you for the Ghost Town info!!!!!! The internet is truely amazing!! Thanks again. This should safe me some time!!!!! Rich
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to your forum name, I now have an Elton John song bouncing around in my brain.

Dock, that vibra-thingie looks like a lightsaber!

I use a Tinytec, but this is the second one I've had and like the first, it has gone inaudible. I swear by pinpointer probes but cannot really recommend the Tinytec anymore except to say that it is cheap (in both the good and bad senses of the word).

I also have an expensive inline Sun-Ray Invader probe for my Garrett GTI-2500 that has not worked properly in a long time, and it's new. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Thanks for the welcome and the tip about the pointers!! I picked my name from my two favorite stars" Elton John" and "Roger Rocketman Clemens". Rich
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Aboard... enjoy ... Cheers, RickO
  • Rocketman and others in Oregon need to follow this link!

Senate Bill may put you detecting rights in jeopardy! image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage