Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So no-one is excited or worried about the recent stock market drop?

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
When folks start selling in a panic to unload their shares, will we also see a sudden flux of coins on the market?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    You must have missed the mass of threads on this topic the other day. Do a search and you'll find a few.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All is well.
    Yesterday was a step toward a needed correction that has not yet occurred.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All is well.
    Yesterday was a step toward a needed correction that has not yet occurred. >>

You are correct, Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all FLUFF. Just a blip in the month of February. It will have no affect on long term trends for 2007.

Traders make money on stuff like this. Sheeple get sheared. No one else should be deterred.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When folks start selling in a panic to unload their shares, will we also see a sudden flux of coins on the market?

Leo >>

check back in 5 years....see if it meant anything.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    The current rally is quite "long in the tooth". I expected it to end sooner, actually. Of course, all sell-offs have some sort of catalyst, but there's a lot of intermediate term profit out there to grab and it takes a trigger event for the selling to start. Over the next few weeks we'll see if this was the event or just a blip.

Stocks often sell off in March anyway.

Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You must have missed the mass of threads on this topic the other day. Do a search and you'll find a few.

-Paul >>

Hey thanks! Found them.

Now I wish I could delete this thread.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    when you don't have any money...you really don't care image
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    The current run won't end until the government quits propping up the economy with artificially low interest rates...then look out.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    we are still in for another dip. healthy and necessary corrections.
  • Options
    Maria Bartiromo said not to worry, the Fed is on it.
  • Options
  • Options
    What, me worry?
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Lost mine in 29

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    a mere blip.
  • Options
    I lost thousands of dollars on Black Monday back in 1987, this little dip didn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Well it is not so simple as some would say.
    The securities markets have become the investments of the people in the past 40 years.
    Small blips are not important (except for the the most highly leveraged) but the overall impact of the securities market on accumulated wealth has great impact on all other markets including the coin market. Remember we are a very leveraged society, we borrow more than we make. If your mutual funds or portfolio declines 25% and the value of your house is reduces an equal amount this changes your psychological state and the amount of resources you are capable or psychologically willing to spend up on for your next coin aquisition. The coin market is is based purely on supply and demand. If demand falls then a bullish market falters.
    Trime
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am neither excited nor worried about the stock market
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ~~~~Don't Worry, Be Happy~~~~ (with apologies to Bobby McFerrin)... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    It's a bloodbath already today. Where the &%$*& is Saintguru? We need some guidance on what to do.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a bloodbath already today. Where the &%$*& is Saintguru? We need some guidance on what to do. >>

Here's my take on it. Markets go up, and markets go down. Just like with coins, unless you are a short-termer or have borrowed to buy stock (two approaches I do not embrace), it's a non-event. Last I checked, I am still slightly up in 2007. Use volatility to your advantage, and buy when everyone else is selling.

Frankly, I am glad to see a correction. New money in investment accounts was having trouble finding a new home. Everything seemed overpriced.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Everything seemed overpriced. >>

Sort of like the coin market, then?
  • Options
    From what I gather watching the market news is "expect corrections in the market for the next few weeks or months. I quess it was expected by most analyst. After some more corrections will be buying opportunities in maybe spring or summer.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Been in the market since the 70s. Seen it all before.....ain't skeeeeeerd.

As long as we have a great country like the United States the market will trend upward.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From what I gather watching the market news is "expect corrections in the market for the next few weeks or months. I quess it was expected by most analyst. After some more corrections will be buying opportunities in maybe spring or summer. >>

Could be. I think a lot of the 'weak money' was getting nervous and wanted an excuse to exit anyway.

Over the next decade or more I'll be a net buyer of stocks, not a net seller. And more than a decade from now, it's not going to matter whether a short-term move takes the Dow up 2000 or down 2000; stocks will trade in a range roughly commensurate with then-current earnings and fundamentals. That being the case, better to beat it down now, while I'll still be a buyer for years with new 401K and Roth IRA money, than when I'm getting ready to retire.

I think anyone who won't be relying on their investment portfolios for income within the next decade should consider this a non-event and, if anything, a blessing as it lets their near-term future contributions get more value for the buck. Just remain diversified, allocate assets prudently, rebalance occasionally and enjoy the ride.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>All is well.
    Yesterday was a step toward a needed correction that has not yet occurred. >>

You are correct, Sir!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

You guys sound like IBD'ers.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...better to beat it down now, while I'll still be a buyer for years with new 401K and Roth IRA money, than when I'm getting ready to retire.

I agree. My fantasy would be for the market to market to be at 48,000 near when I plan to retire in twenty years (that's an average of 7% yearly appreciation, so not unrealistic), but I would like it to get there by dropping or remaining stable now and making most of the move in the last few years of the twenty year time period.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...better to beat it down now, while I'll still be a buyer for years with new 401K and Roth IRA money, than when I'm getting ready to retire.

I agree. My fantasy would be for the market to market to be at 48,000 near when I plan to retire in twenty years (that's an average of 7% yearly appreciation, so not unrealistic), but I would like it to get there by dropping or remaining stable now and making most of the move in the last few years of the twenty year time period. >>

I guess I'm a lot younger. I have 30 years to go. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>Well it is not so simple as some would say.
    The securities markets have become the investments of the people in the past 40 years.
    Small blips are not important (except for the the most highly leveraged) but the overall impact of the securities market on accumulated wealth has great impact on all other markets including the coin market. Remember we are a very leveraged society, we borrow more than we make. If your mutual funds or portfolio declines 25% and the value of your house is reduces an equal amount this changes your psychological state and the amount of resources you are capable or psychologically willing to spend up on for your next coin aquisition. The coin market is is based purely on supply and demand. If demand falls then a bullish market falters. >>

The scenario you paint is something to be concerned about Trime, but is has nothing to do with this minor correction.
    You say..."If your mutual funds or portfolio declines 25% and the value of your house is reduces an equal amount this changes your psychological state and the amount of resources you are capable or psychologically willing to spend", was this relevant to the 400 point correction?
    Lets try to discuss apples to apples and leave the oranges out of the conversationimage
  • Options

<< <i>Trime, RYK and Roadrunner make great points. Coin market in intricately weaved in with the stock market, real estate market, in fact all and any money markets. Whatever happens with these happens to the coin market albeit a short lag. However, that being said a blip is just a blip or a bump a crash however is a whole other thing. But we have recovered from every crash since '29 debacle because of the artificial ingredients the government intergects since '29. So keep on doing what your doing with coins because where else are you going to have fun? >>

Wouldn't this quote by Trime "If your mutual funds or portfolio declines 25% and the value of your house is ..." have been more relevant to this situation Realone had it said...If your mutual funds or portfolio declines 4% and the value of your house is... ??? Wouldn't that have had more of a correlation to reality Realone???
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a bloodbath already today. Where the &%$*& is Saintguru? We need some guidance on what to do. >>

I'm here! Been doing this professionally for 25 years? What would you like to know? image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file