Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

? about an auction bid history

in this AUCTION there is only 4 bids by 3 bidders and I am curious why the bid jumps from second bid of $6 to third bid $1000? I don't see that there was a reserve as when there is and it is met it show that the reserve was met and this one doesn't. So why the big jump? isn't it supposed to just go up to the next increment reguardless of what the next bidder enters? Just wondering as I am pretty new to this. BID HISTORY

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to guess that Bidder 2 bid $6 and that Bidder 3 bid $1,000 and that before Bidder 4 jumped into the fray that the history would have showed it as Bidder 2 at $6 and Bidder 3 at $7, or whatever the increment is at that level. However, once Bidder 4 bid at least $1,025 that the extent of Bidder 2's bid was revealed. Did that make sense?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    The level of these bids don't make any sense. the problem with now hiding bidders names is that shill bidding will become more common, though I am not suggesting it is the case on this one.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bidder 1 made a bid that maxed at some low amount. Bidder 2 came in and placed a secret bid and was higher than the really low bidder 1 bid so it showed $6.
    However, when bidder 3 came in, at over $1000, it showed the max of what bidder 2 was willing to bid and trumped it (bid of $1000).
    Bidder 2 came back and trumped that ($1025 right now).

I certainly would have been out of the bidding very low on this one....someone better know their half cents to be bidding this high on coins looking like that.

Any 1/2 cent expert take a look and want to comment???

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The level of these bids don't make any sense. the problem with now hiding bidders names is that shill bidding will become more common, though I am not suggesting it is the case on this one. >>

I don't think a shill on this one...not with that huge of a jump......someone sees, or thinks they see, something about them....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the boards, NoMoreCents! Enjoy!

Now the big question: why are these bidders bidding up these 2 ugly half cents?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    image ok...I'll put in my 2 half cents...what is actually strange about this auction is...look at the coins... junk worth the S&H and not much more... $1025 ??? Strange indeed...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    I don't get it. Neither of these are rare.

Ray
  • Options
    <<Bidder 1 made a bid that maxed at some low amount. Bidder 2 came in and placed a secret bid and was higher than the really low bidder 1 bid so it showed $6.
    However, when bidder 3 came in, at over $1000, it showed the max of what bidder 2 was willing to bid and trumped it (bid of $1000).
    Bidder 2 came back and trumped that ($1025 right now).>>

Retired U.S. Army Paratrooper 1977- 1992 Served Proudly. 100% DAV
    All The Way - And Then Some
    I collect Modern Commemoratives
    and anything Franklin.
  • Options
    The question becomes why did they bid these this high?
    The 1804 is the stemless wreath variety. I can't tell if it has the plain 4 or the crosslet 4 but neither are rare.
    There's 2 varieties of the 1826, the one with the high leaf to the right of the S, and the one with the high leaf under the S.
    This one in the auction is the high leaf right of the S, which is the more common of the two.
    I'd bet Tinseltime doesn't get paid by his Zero feedback winning bidder.

Ray
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I just couldn't see how it went so high without showing anything in between but it makes sense now, though bids that high for those doesn't.
  • Options
    When I saw that it was for an 1826 and an 1804 I thought the 1804 must be either a C-2, C-3, or C-7. But it's a C-13, the plain 4 stemless. In that condition worth about $7 retail. You suppose both bidder 2 and 3 forgot to put in a decimal point and they meant to bid $10.00 and $10.25 respectively?
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Looks real supicious. Going to watch this just for fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file