Missing Edge Lettering Presidential Dollars

FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just for information, there are well over
5,000++ pieces of the Plain Edge Presidential
Dollars found so far.

That's enough quantity for the TV shows and
mass-marketers to play with.

What will be interesting will be how many more
are found in the next 30 days or so......

I have no idea if they'll be worth $50 or $100
in that time frame - just thought I would share
the info that I know of myself with the group.
Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So definitely a variety but not a rarity.
  • Options
    Fred, considering that both mints will be producing these, IMO, they will be common for this first issue. The mint will see the error in it ways and following issues may start to shrink in qty. I bet there are over 100,000 of them. What we are seeing here is just the tip of the iceberg, there have got to be a gazillion rolls yet to be opened. The vast majority of the people who got rolls probably have no idea to look for them yet.

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Great, enough for the promoters to pump and dump.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Fred! Its always nice to hear from someone in the know!

Do you have any knowledge or experience with how the edge lettering is processed?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

What I still can't understand is why the crazy people are paying so much for the "upside down" lettering. That's STUPID!

Just buy a roll and there's plenty in there with upside down letters.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    I wonder if these are ones that slip thru the edge lettering machine or if they are Sackie planchets mixed in by mistake?image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    kwmorgan,
    The planchets are basically the same. The error is these coins not going through the edge lettering machine, which is done after the strike.

I still wait for the Sac with edge lettering!

I have started looking at my Euro coins (also edge lettered) and have not spotted anything abi-normal.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I bought a bunch off a guy in Jacksonville. After getting his initial batch he spent the next two days going from bank to bank trying to find more. So far he has found 1 coin. I think a ton of them have been found but I think these will dry up pretty quickly. They are ging to be pretty good coins. Perfect thing for the TV guys to sell. A month from now they won't be around like they are now. Just my opinion.

They are not Sacagawea planchetts. When you look at the edge they look like the plating didn't go all the way around the coin.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    That could make for an interesting collection, one of each presidential series without edge lettering...

Just wondering has anyone sent one in to PCGS yet?
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One dealer on COINNET (dealer to dealer system) is offering $100 each for just a few nice ones.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    40,000 pieces is a lot Fred.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    An update on my first message:

There are are estimated 40,000 (yes, 40,000) of these
    items now reported/discovered.

I have talked to a Florida resident who has
    well over 3,500 pieces, and there is a bank
    teller in Florida with over 15,000.

I know now of about 20K (the two above
    people, plus Ebay coins).

The 40K number comes from Susan Headley of
    About Coins, a New York Times website on
    hobbies / collectables; her number comes from
    the above, plus the many, many hundreds of
    reports she's had, and some extrapolation, based
    on the number of coins in a Ballistic bag, etc.

I tend to agree with that rough number - whether
    it's 30K or 50K eventually, I can state that there
    are, in my own knowledge, tens of thousands of them
    discovered so far - and probably more to come !!

Fred
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Do you know where they are found, only in the three cities so far? Does it seem isolated to those banks or could there be a loose one or two out here in California?
  • Options
    They ARE the same planchets as used on the
    Sacagawea Dollars.

In the Lettering process, for some reason,
    it tends to "hide" the copper core - on some
    it's easily visable, on some there's just a
    red "tint", and on some it looks like the same
    color as the manganese layers.

Because I have not seen the actual machine
    or the process, I can't explain why, but in
    moving the coins around in the lettering device,
    the metal is somehow "moved" "smoothed", or ?
    so that the copper core color is not as apparent
    as is in the plain edge Sac Dollars.

In fact, if you look at the Ebay listed coins, you will
    see that the plain edge pieces show the copper core
    much better than the Lettered Edge coins.......
  • Options
    Fred thanks for the info. You might have just saved some people a lot of moeny.

That bank teller with 15K coins sure was smart. Hope she makes a fortune. If she gets $25 per coin that means she'll make $24 a coin. That's a profit of $360,000. Not bad for a days work.
  • Options
    Why would the bank manager let the teller take that much?
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Who cares about the bank. Nice to see the little guy win for once.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would the bank manager let the teller take that much? >>

Yeah...I kind of agree....a little "abuse of position" if she got them from her own bank....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Especially if they were found and
    seperated before the official
    release date of 2/15
  • Options
    Wouldn't the bank manager has the power to keep them for himself?image
    San Diego, CA

• Options

<< <i>Fred thanks for the info. You might have just saved some people a lot of moeny.

That bank teller with 15K coins sure was smart. Hope she makes a fortune. If she gets $25 per coin that means she'll make $24 a coin. That's a profit of $360,000. Not bad for a days work. >>

So I guess insider trading is OK...image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office must be into it also, one person who is selling them has a Jacksonville Sheriff's Office e-mail.image
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    I have not got any out of 4 rolls. Maybe I will go to the bank for more...or maybe not.

I like the variety thing...maybe I will go to the bank and spend the others.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Where does a bank teller get OVER $15,000 to spend on coins. Even if Half of every roll was without lettering that would be $30,000 spent.

Not only that, what bank/branch ordered 1200 rolls ???

Sorry, but I'm skeptical.

As for being a collectable. Even at 100,000 coins it will be good. Look at the Silver Anniv. set. 250,000. Look at the MS Silver - 400,000+. Not to mention when we get to the 5th and 10th Prez, people will be looking back for these to fill the hole. Obviously I don't know what they are worth, but I agree that the Mint will correct the problem and this abundant supply be short lived.

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where does a bank teller get OVER $15,000 to spend on coins. Even if Half of every roll was without lettering that would be $30,000 spent.
    >>

Took out a loan and turned the non errors back into the bank.
  • Options
    I've come across one bank employee from Florida selling these on ebay starting at $60 to $100 each. He claims to have purchased 109 of them. I see he has 39 of them up right now. Someone has placed a bid of $100. The seller has a BIN of $125 on one of them.
  • Options
    [

That bank teller with 15K coins sure was smart. Hope she makes a fortune. If she gets $25 per coin that means she'll make $24 a coin. That's a profit of $360,000. Not bad for a days work. >>

So I guess insider trading is OK...image >>

And you would not if you had the chance? Doubt itimage
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I got a few rolls today, these are all really baggy
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    15000 pieces in one persons hands - especially a teller - is a stretch of the imagination.

Deliveries to most bank branches would probably not exceed 2-3 boxes per week. A teller would have to call many branches of the same banking institution, arrange to purchase all the coins, without letting anyone else in on it? Come on.

Looks like some people are fishing for cheap error coins.
  • Options
    Where did you hear that a teller got 15k of them?

I have been only able to get 43 and I have been trying since day one.

-Fuzz
    Why is it, "A penny for your thoughts," but, "you have to put your two cents in?" Somebody's making a penny.
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    It is on the first page, Fred Weinberg's second post.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    15000 pieces in one persons hands - especially a teller - is a stretch of the imagination.

I agree. Most banks got 1 box. 1000.00

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Most banks got 1 box. 1000.00

My little (yes, only 3 windows) got boxes. I picked up one box on Monday, and more were available.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    That may be true but MOST banks got one box IMO.

Steve

edited to add: By Monday? You mean the 26th? by then yes Many banks could have ordered more. But those (around here anyway) that got them for the 15th got 1 box of 1000. Still I doubt that a teller was able to accumalate 15,000 of these things.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    My guess is the teller is also a collector. whe he/she found one, he/she ordered more. My bank will custom order for collectors. I have some coming. My guess is the teller ordered a bunch. --Jerry
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess is the teller is also a collector. whe he/she found one, he/she ordered more. My bank will custom order for collectors. I have some coming. My guess is the teller ordered a bunch. --Jerry >>

Seems rather unlikely that a second order would deliver more errors to the same bank ... if so they would have been distributed nationally.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these being found in Florida?

So, just ordering more boxes wouldn't work. Florida isn't getting them from any special place that other states aren't getting them from.

Like the Wisconsin quarter was mostly in Tucson AZ and a few in Texas.

Don't get me wrong, some people are going to make a lot of money, it's just 15,000 for 1 person is hard to believe.

Are there other states finding these?

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    I think it is ridiculous and unfair that a bank teller can acquire $15K in the new dollars, yet a collector/non teller such as myself can't even get one roll from my local bank - and only 1 roll limit at the main bank in main city. Bank hopping, was able to get a couple more - but limiting the general public to one or two rolls while 'insiders' horde them all .... well it just doesn't sound real fair, IMHO.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is ridiculous and unfair that a bank teller can acquire $15K in the new dollars, yet a collector/non teller such as myself can't even get one roll from my local bank - and only 1 roll limit at the main bank in main city. Bank hopping, was able to get a couple more - but limiting the general public to one or two rolls while 'insiders' horde them all .... well it just doesn't sound real fair, IMHO. >>

Who are you blaming? Your bank? Banks choose how many coins to order. Some banks "aren't participating". Others are waiting to see what the demand is...they don't make any money on these things.

Another possibility is that the teller was ordering a bunch to submit to NGC and hit the jackpot...

Another possibility is that the "one person, a bank teller, has 15,000" story is new urban legend....

--Jerry
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Jacksonville, FL case of 1000 coins i searched turned up 93 with no edge lettering. Thats almost 10 percent. Yea, I flipped a few, but why not. I sell the modern crap to fund my early crap habit.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is ridiculous and unfair that a bank teller can acquire $15K in the new dollars, yet a collector/non teller such as myself can't even get one roll from my local bank - and only 1 roll limit at the main bank in main city. Bank hopping, was able to get a couple more - but limiting the general public to one or two rolls while 'insiders' horde them all .... well it just doesn't sound real fair, IMHO. >>

Okay, to be fair....... if you happen upon some, in all fairness, you should offer some to me at face value, because I am the first to request it from you, and it would only be fair!!
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and you should give them to me for two times face because I asked second.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
  • Options
    Regional Banks got alot more than
    $1,000. They received large quantities
    to distribute smaller amounts to their
    branches.

I was able to buy $4,000 from my
    bank downstairs on the release
    date of 2/15, and another $10,000
    face on the following Monday, 2/19.

Many banks here in LA didn't want to order,
    didn't know about the new coin, or were
    simply uninterested.

It is not a stretch to think a regional bank
    received many hundreds of thousands of
    coins to distribute.
  • Options
    Some banks got huge quantities of these dollars. I'm in Dallas and can't find a bank that would let me have the dollars in any qty. Found a bank in Oklahoma that let me buy 30K worth and they had more. It all depends on the bank.
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    I picked up 25K the first day. Bank was very nice and cooperative.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is ridiculous and unfair that a bank teller can acquire $15K in the new dollars, yet a collector/non teller such as myself can't even get one roll from my local bank >>

I think it's funny. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if these are readilly available in large quantities, as we are seeing, then the price will hover around $50 and they will become collectable as part of the regular set. This will make the later Presidents with plain edges increase in demand. Their prices will depend on the amount found. There will be feverish bidding on the future issues for which very few plain-edged pieces are found. I think this is the best thing that the Mint could have done to kick off their program.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it is it the concensus that all of these are from the Pa mint? Us westerners got hosed I guess...

Anyone keep a location tally?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I guess we'll see that urban legend (15000 error dollars acquired without ANYONE asking what he or she is doing?) up on the web soon.

Dont believe it. One guy on here searched a box of a 1000 from that area and found 92 (his words) - lets see, that means one teller needed to open, search and go through 150 boxes - yes $150000 face - to get 15000 error dollars.

I may look young but I wasn't born yesterday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file